It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is a good kit to keep in a car for winter survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
what do you guys keep in your vechicles in the northern states.
When i was a teen i lived in wisconsin in polk county. My dad used to keep a blanket in car boot but that was it.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think some good things to keep in your car during the winter (or all other times) would be

1) Fire Starter (match, lighter)

2) Blankets (Help in the cold, duh)

3) Metal cup of some sort (Melt snow)

4) Things you'd have in other all-year round kits.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i think you're about 3 months too late! i just make sure my car has heat... then again im not used to wisconsin's weather

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yeah, but you'd want some extra protection if your car gets stuck and you run out of gas.

I saw on one one the survial shows that if you're in a car and light a candle you can keep the car pretty warm, so you might want to chuck a few candles in there as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Common sense should get you through. Things like don’t go off road and don’t leave the car unless your problem is a flat tire come to mind. CB wouldn’t hut either. Oh, and a coat and boots, duh.

Edit to add: if you are in snow prone areas, a shovel to dig yourself out and bags of sand/rock/roofing shingles to use as traction if you get stuck.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by cavscout]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A real cheap addition that could be hugely helpful and you may already have: a CD.

CD's make excellent signalling mirrors. The hole works as a sight and by tilting you get a very bright flash.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
These are some of the items I keep in my truck during the winters in Alaska:

-Thermal Underwear...tops and bottoms
-Gortex Pants and Jacket
-Field Jacket Liner
-Heavy Winter Socks
-Extreme Winter Boots
-Heavy Winter Gloves and Liners
-Full Face Mask
-Balaclava - (Covers face and neck)
-Hand Warmers
-Shake Charging Flashlight (batteries don't like the cold)
-Night Vision Goggles (Dark all day and all night in AK during winter)
-Protection (not the rubber kind)
-Extra Fuel
-Cash for gas just in case
-Snow Shovel to dig truck out of snow or to make shelter if it gets that bad
-Sand for traction
-Cell phone
-GPS

I know that's a lot but it gets pretty extreme up here at times. I probably left off some items but just use common sense really. The people that get into trouble here are the people who wear pajamas driving in -50 because "My truck has heat, I will be warm".

Stay warm everyone!

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
thanks guys i was just talking with some friends about times in wisconsin and i remembered a time we went to metrodome for a tractorpull and when we got out of the city traffic slowed to a crawl when a blizzard came through. it took us 5 hours to go 65 miles most of the way taffic was bumper to bumper. we were scared the gas would run out and we had taken the car not the 4 wheel drive truck. the year i moved back to nc the temperature had dropped to 50 below with the wind chill factor

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
You also might want to tie a piece of bright red or orange ribbon to your radio antenna in the event your vehicle is covered with snow. The antennae are usually higher than the roofline, so someone might be able to detect your vehicle, even if covered in snow.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well, tickets to the Bahamas of course!!

But seriously, a couple of winter sleeping bags that are good for extreme cold. Don't wear anything but underwear when you sleep in them BTW. Also, if you get stuck and are out of gas, fill your car with leaves and grass just like the animals do, this will keep you extremely warm. Don't forget, water, and believe it or not, sanitary napkins are very good bandages for serious bleeding. DUH

Sharp knife, rope etc... Extra batteries if needed. I also keep a glass cutter/breaker in the car.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
1 wool blanket per person who travels in the vehicle regularly.

1 "junk" blanket to lay on the ground when working on vehicle.

1 warm outfit (socks, pants,shirt, gloves, hat, boots).

Fluorescent yellow or orange tarp or something similar for signaling.

A few heating packets or charcoal hand heaters. Really helps when your messing with metal in below freezing/0 weather. Sticking em in your boots and gloves is great too.

Pack of bic lighters.

Thats what I had in my jeep for years when I lived in northern michigan. I also kept my old insulated carhartt coveralls in the back. The wool blanket was a big hit with my girlfriends at the time when I didn't let the car warm up the interior enough.

Of course I had a toolbox with tools specifically for working on the jeep, 1 gallon of distilled water, 5 quart oil, antifreeze, fix a flat, road flares, first aid kit, 50' paracord and some more junk I can't think of.

When all said and done about half of my trunk space was filled up.

I learned to carry blankets and warm clothing the hard way. Was 17, driving in BFE, car broke down, was well below 0, wearing sweatshirt jeans shoes and a hat, a unbearable trek. Very scary stuff. If a car hadn't stopped I would have most likely frozen to death.

Never doubt murphy's law.

- NSBiz

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is what we have in our jeep:
1. 4 wool blankets (old army style)
2. 2x2L bottle of water
3. 2x thermal emergency blanket(space blanket)
4. 2x box of granola bars
5. 2x tukes
6. 2x gloves
7. 2x wool socks
8. 4 x emergency candles
9. 4x aluminum containers
10. 2 x strike anywhere matches (50 matches per)
11. I.D card with our name , blood type and allergies
12. $50.00

We live in Canada and have family spread apart the province so we travel a lot.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
That is what i suggest you keep in your car:

1: Matches, ligther in a sealed bag... keep off humidity
2: Candles,
3: Emergency Blanket
4: Emergency light
5: Booster cable
6: Chocolate and nuts / Dry food
7: Water
8: Flares
9: Emergency First-aid kit
10: Cellphone

Actually this is a list of things Governement of Quebec suggest to have in your car...

new topics

top topics

join