It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public(NWO) or Home Schooling?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
With what I see going on in the public education system these days, I believe kids would be better off being home schooled. Unfortunately,
most parents work and are too busy trying to catch up with their mortgages, bills, etc., and don't have the time to teach their children.

Children are not getting an education as much as an indoctrination. They are learning how to get along and are not encouraged to be inquisitive.
Public education discourages individuality and promotes a "hive" mentality.

There are some great, devoted teachers in the public schools but they are told what to teach and have to follow a curriculum. Is public education an effort to "dumb down" future generations?, or are they creating children that are full of apathy and devoid of individual thought?

BTW, I don't have kids myself but if I was able I would most certainly home school my kids because I'd want to teach them the things that are, in my view, important, and that really matter.

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Home school, home school, home school.

The last thing Id do to my children is send them into government training camps.

The bit about both parents needing to work I have a problem with.
I havent yet met a two income family that NEEDED both incomes.
They think they NEED two cars, cable TV, broadband access and cellular phones too. They think they NEED to supply their kids with $120 jeans and $150 sneaker and a PS3 and a hi-def TV to play those games on.

They dont need any of this crap.

If they stop consuming and start thinking you wouldnt see so many of these poor two income families that just cant catch a break.

Anyway, home school, home school, home school.

If you can get some like-minded families together to share the responsability you can set up a sort of community schoolhouse and rotate the lessons and teachers. That would help if you just cant live without that extra car lease.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Being that I am currently in public school myself, I have to say all this
pubic school equaling government brainwashing is bunk.

Not all schools are the same, yes there are many schools that just teach
what is in the books, but that is because of many reasons, most notably
financial reasons and not having great teachers.

My school is better off than that of those in other parts of the country,
we have many different kinds of classes, the teachers are good at their
job, and understand the students for the most part, and make things
interesting, which in turn males them question things.

For instance, my U.S. History teacher will go out of the way to teach us
about things that are'nt in the text books.

Another teacher, whom teaches a few different subjects, is very leftist,
and pretty much shows her disdain for the government, and anyone
who is oppressive.

Personally I would have hated to be home schooled.

I also disapprove of homeschooling, since parents generally do not have
educational degrees, and will not teach in a way that is as fair and
unbiased teachers do.

An example being that conservative parents will teach there kids that
creationism is a fact and that evolution is an evil lie, and that is a slap
in the face to secular, fair schooling.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
State approved education is best. The Government told me, so it must be true.
Take all the 'manditory' vaccinations. Read all the Approved literature. Adhere to all the current political doctrine. Do not question the authority of the State. Receive your implantable microchip. Its fun. Its trendy. Submit to random invasions of your privacy. Searches of your person and property are for your safety. Cameras in the bathrooms protect your privacy.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

OCEANIA HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EAST ASIA!

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
While I do not particularly think the public schools are trying to indoctrinate or brain wash kids, they are trying to squeeze out as many 'uniform' units (students/future workers) as possible. While it seems admirable to 'leave no one behind', neither do they seem to spark the curiosity and drive of those that could be more.

If I had it to do over, I think I would home school. At least through the grade school level, up to middle school. As it was, mine went to school, but by the time the first one was in the second grade we realized that the actual learning was such a small part of the day, that we needed to supplement it.

We found this out when my son was out for a week with an illness. I picked up his class work sheets and his homework assignments for the entire week and carried it home to be done over the week end. ( Yes, it was all of the work his class had done that week, his teacher cut him no slack....) We finished it in 3 sessions of about an hour each!!.....an entire week's work.....much of which was pure repetition of the same drill, same work sheets....most focused on passing the next uniform ( but minimum level ) test.

Most of the school day seemed to be 'eaten away' by the daily ins and outs of 'class room' chores.....roll call, bathroom permissions, lunch money collection, waiting for quiet, handing out supplies....on and on. Too much distraction, too much boredom.

So we added more books on science, history, math, electronics, etc. We turned 'nature walks' into biology lessons, games into math, spelling or geography lessons. We bought a computer early on and while the kids had fun playing, they accidentally learned.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smack
State approved education is best. The Government told me, so it must be true.

uh huh...
so you're comparing those that support mandatory education to drones instead of enemies of ignorance

Take all the 'manditory' vaccinations.

you're anti-epidemiology

Read all the Approved literature.

schools don't have 'approved' literature, they have curriculum. you can't tell a room of students to go out and read the book of their choice and then expect them all to gain an education.

Adhere to all the current political doctrine.

this is exactly the opposite of what i was taught in my civics class. i was actually told that questioning has led to change, which is good...

Do not question the authority of the State.

something else that is definitely not taught in schools

Receive your implantable microchip.

yes, because this has everything to do with public education

Its fun. Its trendy. Submit to random invasions of your privacy. Searches of your person and property are for your safety. Cameras in the bathrooms protect your privacy.

if this is what public school is teaching, i really haven't been paying attention. i really don't understand how being taught calculus teaches me to submit to a police state

[oh so creative orwellian reference]

yeah...
this has absolutely nothing to do with public school.

i've gone to public school
i went to private school
i know homeschooling

all 3 have to do with indoctrination.
public school indoctrinates you in how it forces you to get along with others
private schools tend to have a mission, in particular i went to a religious one that taught us to be "men for others" through catholicism
homeschooling, well that typically tends to be full on indoctrination of children through isolation

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul --

Well, I have to laugh aloud at your oh-so-brilliant debunking of my satirical piece.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Bozo...

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Anyway, i do not think hoem school is a good think because it makes your child miss out on so much. It is hard to learn from your mistakes and become abetter person if your parents are hovering over u makeing sure u are perfect.
It a little wierd that they do not get exposed to the real life as much and to the real dangers. You should learn form these these rela life misrakes and things.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
When I was younger, I was mostly home schooled, but I did attend 1 year of public school (my choice), and a private islamic school where my mother was teaching (not my choice! Although it was fun learning about their religion and language, I hated wearing a uniform and no makeup!).

I was shocked when I went to public school. Everyone seemed like little drones, waiting for commands. Half the time was spent waiting, and there seemed very little emphasis on making learning fun and exciting. As long as you could memorize facts and spit them out when it's test time, you were good.
It's very sad, actually...I think it's basically just a way to keep the kids safe while the parents are working, while real education takes a second seat.

I am torn on the issue of home schooling though. For me, it was a great experience. Not only was my mother qualified for the job, as an English professor, she taught me how to be open minded by showing me there's always more than one side to a story. I was taught to be accepting of all religions, political views, races, sexual orientations, etc., something I fear isn't so with many home schoolers. She also encouraged me to think for myself, to ask questions, and be curious.

So, I suppose there is no one size fits all solution. Some people would make brilliant teachers, some may be less than desirable.

As far as home school being socially isolating, I never experienced that. We did have neighbors.

-Cat =^.^=

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Homeschool

I went to public school and faced almost daily beatings. I wanted to drop out, but they spouted the lie "go to school, make good grades, and you can get a job anywhere" so I was afraid if I dropped out to avoid the physical beatings and harassment that I'd never find a job. I made 100 average in algebra my freshman year of high school. I proved I was a hard worker. I cannot get a job anywhere while the people who I know dropped out or slacked off in school are at least able to find a job flipping burgers. While I was in school, they spouted lies to me "just ignore it and it will go away," "it only happens because you want it to," or "if you tell them to stop it they will." Ignoring it does NOT make it go away. It gets worse every year. They still haven't proven to me that I wanted it, deserved it, or brought it on myself in anyway. I was forced by law to go to school and receive those daily beatings. The schools should have had a legal obligation to protect me from abuse while I was imprisoned there during the day. Telling them to stop it just makes them laugh and do it more.

I would have several beat me at one time and the teachers would say my injuries were my fault because I didn't fight back. I was born with handicaps and was always a scrawny skeleton kid and was expected to fight against several boys who played sports. I was entirely on my own. I suffered numerous injuries. And when I read a magazine article about another girl who was tortured a lot less than I was and successfully sued, I went lawyer hunting. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to take on the school system. And I was a minor. They all said my parents had to hire a lawyer for me. My parents thought girls were worthless and that I deserved what I got. The school heard I was looking around for a lawyer though (small town) and pulled me into the office. Had me take a couple classes that summer and graduate early to get rid of me. The first class was normal; the second class was not. I basically copied answers onto test papers so that I would definately pass (open book take home tests). They signed a diploma and sent me on my way at age 17. I still wanted to be compensated for what I went through, but by the time I turned 18, statute of limitations was over.

That's what public school is all about. The jocks and middle class children are allowed to beat and torture the weaker students without fear of getting even detention. And if the victims complain, the teachers and staff blame them for the beatings.

I am mostly self-educated. No one tried to teach me anything except a bunch of lies. Every school year we had the same stuff over and over again. The information in the subjects were all the same. I remember in high school they were still 'teaching' the same subject matter I had in grade school. I was bored in class. I remember these slackers that liked to beat up on others still couldn't get simple math or any of it. I felt insulted at being forced to be there and having teachers tell me that I'd get something out of it and the lies about making good grades will get you a job anywhere. I made As and Bs without trying. Finally, I got tired of the beatings and became very suicidal and wanted to drop out of school. I started skipping school just to get a day off from the beatings. I'd go to doctors with my medical card so that I could get a note and then I'd go to the library and study books. Then I found that magazine article and got it in my head that maybe I had rights afterall. The school couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

Public school exposes children to extreme violence and lies which hurt their futures. Children need to learn by the time they are adults how to protect themselves and handle themselves when they're adults. How many 18 year olds know the risks of getting credit cards? They see credit cards as some sort of status symbol. They're not told how to avoid Identity theft or how to protect their privacy. They are only dumbed down and the lower classes are taught how to fill out applications for minimum wage jobs. The athletes and middle class students are helped to get into college and get scholarships and such.

Homeschooling is definately better.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Jessicamsa,

That is one brutal tale. I know school was rough for a lot of us but your story is especially sad. I am sorry to hear you had to deal with sh*t like that on a daily basis. Remember, what goes around comes around. They will eventually get their Karmic due.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I was home-schooled, and while I would give a big thumbs up for leading me to where I am today, I would have to say that trying to categorize it as better or worse than public education misses the most important aspect; that is to say some students perform well in home-education, while others not so much. It comes down to it being the right kid and the right parent in the right setting for home-schooling to work. One needs a parent is willing to put in much time and effort and a student that actually understands the importance of education. A good co-op is nearly essential to round off education with a good support-group and social classes.

I started being home-schooled in third grade: the first nearly three years were spent with my mothers and my wills grappling; I did not want to be home-schooled and really as most kids could have cared less about any education. But eventually I found ambition and set my heart on engineering at only ten years old. With that ambition, my appetite became almost insatiable, and with much thanks to my mother and several great teachers in our co-op, I was able to graduate high school at 16 and start college before I turned seventeen, perfectly set up to succeed in college.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AHCivilE
It comes down to it being the right kid and the right parent in the right setting for home-schooling to work. One needs a parent is willing to put in much time and effort and a student that actually understands the importance of education.

Well said......

I was able to graduate high school at 16 and start college before I turned seventeen, perfectly set up to succeed in college.

Very admirable. Be happy in life and you will be a success.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think it really just depends on the teachers you have..

I had mostly horrible teachers that should have been fired on the spot.. I swear some of them where just about retarded..

Then I have had a few good ones though.. mostly in college though.

For the most part I learned everything from books on my own time.. I used to love watching all kinds of documentaries and such..

And is that not what education is really? Better understanding and an increase in general knowledge?

That can be better done in the home.. school just offers social learning.. which for many is hell.. I had a shady attendance record all through high school and was luckily spared the nonsense and drama..

Would I home school though? Ah.. I won't send my children to public school thats for sure.. private school maybe, especially a Catholic school.. they have great schools, the transition from private to public for me was 3 years down the line finally learn what I learned in 8th grade at a private school!

I would love to home school, but no time.. and I think the social interaction is healthier for kids..

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I thought about this subject a lot and came to a conclusion that we actually do have two kind of memory - the logic one, and, let's call it so, the subconscious one.

Using the logic memory we can memorize that 2+2=4, H2O is water, Giraffes live in Africa, etc. , this is all the stuff we do learn at school. But, as I have notices, this facts simply do not stay within our heads.

We all, at least most of us, have learned chemistry for over 12 years in school, but can we recall anything more then H2O from it? Did we ever need it in life? I guess not. Therefor, in my understanding, this time was simply wasted. I'm not saying that we don't need to know chemistry, but if at the end all we remember are a few formulas, can't we learn them in a waaaaay shorter period of time?

As for the subconscious memory, we learned to ride a bike in a few days and we'll never forget it. We learned to swim also in no time and as well we won't forget it.

Same our unconscious reactions, fears, believes, vales, etc. and everything that is our CHARACTER also had developed and will, unless we really do something about it, stay with us for life, controlling it.

Most people who have succeeded in life say that it was because of their character, and not because of some knowledge. For example, Richard Branson became who he is now because of his character, his inner drive and not because he did ( actually he did not ) learn at school.

While school pretends to teach us something, it also unnoticeably molds our character. It makes us hate learning by forcing it unto us. It lowers our self respect and life expectations, by making us believe that we have to work very, very hard to earn a wage. It makes us compete with one another. It makes us believe that there always is an authority that know better, whom we should trust. Etc, etc, etc.

So when I'll be raising my kids, instead of drilling dead academic knowledge into their head, no matter home or at school, my main priority would be their character, that they would be free and loving personalities, being able to think with their own head, set and achieve goals, and know that the whole world is open for them.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'll definitely try and home school my kids. Public school is awful...it really never taught me anything. All high school is to teach you things that you'll never remember or use in real life. All the kids there just seem so brainless, its awful

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smack
madnessinmysoul --

Well, I have to laugh aloud at your oh-so-brilliant debunking of my satirical piece.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Bozo...

yeah, i looked back on that and realized i'm soo stupid, but i was somewhat.. tipsy, when i wrote it

s'all good

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I so agree that homeschooling is best. I have been teaching my kids for almost 6 years now. I was not pleased with the education system. I became acquainted with a couple who were a high school teacher and an elementary teacher respectively and who chose to teach their 4 children at home. I realize that seems hippocritical but in the end it was their choice.It was my relationship with them as well as my discontent with the system, the teachers, and the other students and parents my children and I had to deal with, which were not pleasant situations, that made my decision to homeschool.My children are doing just as well as their peers in only half a days work which frees up the other half for other things.They are still well socialized with jobs and lessons and neighbours children. They do not feel left out of anything and my older children have even thanked me because they feel they have fared better because they were not subjected to the peer pressure and negative aspects that go along with public school.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I homeschool my three. My husband and I have both had very hard times in school. Neither of us are in contact with anyone from highschool. Neither am I in contact with anyone from college. The only thing I learned about socilaztion from the schools is how to be a mean, backstabbing, hurtful person. How you take sides for or against a person.

No were did they teach how to get along and respect others. How to behave in a work or office environment. What was approiate or nonapproiate action and/or speech. It was almost like everything goes.

Homeschool legal defense assoiction put out articles about how well homeschoolers do after homeschooling. It is interesting to find out that more and more colleges are now seeking out homeschoolers. There are colleges and professors who believe homeschoolers have the advantage academically and socially over their public schooled peers.

As far as the actual teaching goes. In the elementary years, it is very easy, and practically anyone can do it. There is enough variety of cirriculum on the market that one has sevreal to choose from in any one given subject. A homeschool mom has the ability to choose what works best for their child, and the ability to switch the cirriculum if the current one isn't working. Public schooled teachers do not have the ability to do that. They are stuck even if they themselves outright hate the cirriculum. Best of all if the mom isn't quite sure, most of the cirrculums out there have very good teachers guides, and the parents learn along with the children what they don't know. For those with internet connections and a good library, they have vast resources at their finger tips.

As for highschool work. The parents can just continue to teach as they have before. They can buy cirriculum that is basically self taught with a help line if needed. There are co-ops that arrage for different parents to teach various subjects that may not be able to handle. I have even heard of some putting their older highschoolers in community college classes for those subjects.

Smack - Loved the satire. Actually I thought it was a good book, and very insightful.

Foxylady - exactly what do homeschool kids miss out on? Dances? cliques? Learning how to submit to peer pressure? Bullying? Homework? Long endless boring days of sit still, be quiet, no talking even in study hall? Exactly where is the socilaztion when you are basically not allowed to talk except during lunch? Sorry, that is not much to miss out on.

It is only an asumption that they don't learn from their mistakes. They make a mistake, they have to redo until they get it correct. In some cases, they have to figure out where the mistake was made, and how to correct it. Public schools can't usually afford the luxury of allowing the kids to do that, since they are so busy taking roll call, claming down the class, getting everyone to be quiet, and pay attention.

Also, technically, there should be no dangers in school. School should be a safe environment in which the children can learn and grow. They can't learn when someone is picking on them or bullying them. They certanlly can't learn if the bullying gets so bad that someone gets beat up. As with teachers telling the kids to basically suck it up, how is that teaching the bullies for reality? In reality after they grow up, they would be thrown in prison and/or sued on harrassment charges.

bratok - loved your post, and agree with it. When I visit homeschooling forums, I hear so many moms say their child loves to learn. I even hear some students saying that also. Just try to find one public schooled kid say they love to learn and can't wait to get to school. It is very difficult.

AccessDenied - You are so right. It does not take nearly as long to teach the kiddos at home as it does to teach them at public schools. By the time they get home, their day is already more than half way over. Also, they don't have tons of homework at the end of the day either. If the kids ever went to public school before homeschooling, they will definitly appericate that.

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Being that I am currently in public school myself, I have to say all this
pubic school equaling government brainwashing is bunk.

Not all schools are the same, yes there are many schools that just teach
what is in the books, but that is because of many reasons, most notably
financial reasons and not having great teachers.

For instance, my U.S. History teacher will go out of the way to teach us
about things that are'nt in the text books.

Another teacher, whom teaches a few different subjects, is very leftist,
and pretty much shows her disdain for the government, and anyone
who is oppressive.

I also disapprove of homeschooling, since parents generally do not have
educational degrees, and will not teach in a way that is as fair and
unbiased teachers do.

An example being that conservative parents will teach there kids that
creationism is a fact and that evolution is an evil lie, and that is a slap
in the face to secular, fair schooling.

First off, whether you realize it or not brainwashing does happen. The teachers themselves more than likely will not realize it. Think about it. A teacher has to go to a college or university to even be albe to teach. If they want to teach at the higher grades, then they have to get a masters. This is the the brainwashing starts and sets in. They teach the teachers to start thinking in new and various ways, and to teach them to think a certain way about various thing.

I went through it myself. With the pressure they put on you for four years, it is highly unlikely to come out unchanged. Then add to the political BS they added, along with added years to get a masters and/or doctarates. The teachers are bound to come out thinking differently than when they went in.

How differently and in what ways are all determined by what and how the colleges and universities are teaching the unsuspecting teachers. The beauty of it is that the teachers themselves, no matter how good they are, will never suspect that they are change agents, and dumbing down the children they teach.

Exactly what are teachers suppose to be teaching. Most of the public would answer reading, writing, and arthemitic. Yes, the schools still teach those subjects, but it seems not as the main things to be learned. The following information will be intersting in this regard. I know the google viedo is an older viedo, but I still remember the tactics used on me. Eventhough I haven't been in school for awhile, I know things have gotten worse.

Who controls our Children?

The Tyranny of Compulsory Schooling

How do I know things have gotten worse? Every time I hear that corporations are looking for smarter and brighter people across seas, since there isn't enough bright people in the US to fill the positions that need to be filled. More and more colleges are requireing students to take courses that should have already been taught in highschool.

As for teachers going out of their way to suppliment material, or using anything other than the prescribed circulum, they are taking a chance of the school district breathing down their necks for doing so. Most teachers don't have the leway to do so that they once had. Those who teach strictly from the book do so for far more reasons than not having the financial resources. Everything to how strict the school system is in that they use that cirriculum only in the way it was approved to teaching to the various state tests that the children need to take. To what the state really wants them to learn. It is not always what the public expect the schools to teach the children.

The school district is far too worried on how they well they will do, and staying away from a state takeover. Instead of any real learning, they pressure the teachers to make sure the kids know the material that would more than likely be on the test, and what the states want those kids to learn. Forget everything else.

If the public schools were doing such a good job, then why so many graduating without being able to read? Why did George Bush even see the need to create no child left behind. Why were books written on the subject of our schools going down the drain such as "Why Johnny Can't Read".

Why do the schools really need so many physchologists and guidance counclers? Why is it that so many parents pull their kids out of public school to homeschool them, because their children have developed bad attitudes towards them and others outside of the school authority? The school sees nothing wrong with this type of attitude? Why is it that these kids are so willing to follow their peers against their parents wishes, eventhough it will lead to disaster later on? Why is it that many people seem to have lost any common sense that society once had?

Edited to add: It doesn't sound like you got a very fair and unbiased teacher who voiced her very leftist views, and showed distain for the government. I seriously doubt that teacher ever gave you a good honest point of view of how other side sees things. You say you disapprove of ways of teaching that are not fair and unbiased, yet you priase the teacher who taught you and others in the way you disapproved of?

[edit on 25-3-2007 by Mystery_Lady]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join