It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think members should be able to change their names for a fee.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is just a thought. Nothing that has to even be taken all that seriously.

But I was thinking maybe members could either use real money or ATS points to have their name changed. I was thinking real money first because I am sure it will be a hassle to change a name and this could always be a way for ATS to bring in a little extra money to invest in the site.

There could be rules like members can only change their name one time or once per year - rules to stop people from doing it every week. The profile section could also keep track of previous names, like "MyNewName formally known as Zerotime" to keep posters from changing their name to hide identities.

I am only suggesting it because I got my name a while back and if I was signing up today I would probably choose a different name. There have been many times that I wish I could change it to something else. I know I could start a new account but I don't really want to do that either. lol

Anyway, just my suggestion. Take it for what you will.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This comes up from time to time and the answer is always no.
I don't think a fee would make a difference. I think it's just not easily done on a board fo this size.
The only option I know is to re-registe, and then you would have to stop using the old name.
And, then of course, no one would know you

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The ability to change your username is often an option on smaller less-active boards... but it's a significant risk for a board as big as ATS.

The actual file system for our database is just about to exceed 6 gigabytes with posts and U2U tables taking up 95% of all the space.

A query to alter usernames across the member tables, posts tables, and u2u tables which might be a short-and-sweet operation on small sites, but would be a massive operation here, potentially locking up the site while it happens and introducing potential for data corruption.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
In other words, the fee would be very, very high

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
On a related note,

Can one keep their name and stats, when changing IP's ?

i.e. upgrading from dial up to high speed, most likely accompanied

with a change of provider.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yes you can log in under your username from any computer, any IP.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Thanks, dj

Just to be clear, are you saying, a (permanent) change in my personal, email address, would not affect my account access ?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yes, you can change your email when you change your provider.
In fact, it's good to keep your email addy updated in your profile.
Your username is static--cannot be changed--but the info in your profile can be changed and updated.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy high-speed after dialup

[edit on 19-3-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Ah, sweet.

I was worried I would loose my threads, u2u's, points n such.

Thanks DTOM. Yea, I'm definitely over due to make the jump.

Been procrastinating , till I get a pc upgrade, as well, but not sure I

can wait that long.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
After all this time, work and enjoyment, I would pay to NOT have my name changed....

We have made friends and acquaintances, both positive and negative that have impacted our lives.. I enjoy knowing them and recognizing them when I am visiting here.

It would be a shame to lose all that...

Semper

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
We have made friends and acquaintances, both positive and negative that have impacted our lives.. I enjoy knowing them and recognizing them when I am visiting here.

It would be a shame to lose all that...

Well said, Semper. I will admit that when I first became a member I wanted to change my member name because I thought it wasn't 'cool' enough, but over time, it has really become to represent 'me'.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I agree with that too.

That and also I have come to reconize posters by their names and come to like their names.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

A query to alter usernames across the member tables, posts tables, and u2u tables which might be a short-and-sweet operation on small sites, but would be a massive operation here, potentially locking up the site while it happens and introducing potential for data corruption.

It's just as the Overlord says.

Just think how happy you would be that ZeddicusZulZorander got to change his impossibly long username to Zedd, but caused the entire ATS database to be corrupted.

Nuff said!

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah, name changing would just make me more confused than I already am.
It's bad enough that members change their avatars. I get used to a certain background colour or avatar picture associated with members, and then bang, they change it to something else.

I think my side panel is a distinctive mark that allows other members to clearly identify the posts I make, and I make very few changes to it for that reason.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
Thanks, dj

Just to be clear, are you saying, a (permanent) change in my personal, email address, would not affect my account access ?

You could move to Mars, and as long as you could access the Earth's internet you could log in as yourself.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'm actually thinking of having GradyPhilpott trademarked.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I dunno, I think it'd be neat... have a personal page for name changers.... "formally known as" ... lol hahahha

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i can just imagine that if people could change their names, they could write whatever they wanted, then try to pretend they didn't say that when they were proved wrong! i kind of wish i could change to something a little less girly (i don't think i always get taken seriously..) but hey, thats life. its not like you couldn't have two or more different ATS identities if you wanted to!!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

It's just as the Overlord says.

Just think how happy you would be that ZeddicusZulZorander got to change his impossibly long username to Zedd, but caused the entire ATS database to be corrupted.

Nuff said!
oh my i love your name heh its a truly rare sight when you see somone using something from the sword of truth series heck most people i know have never even heard of the series

to you my friend!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hey Adam...

Thinking of changing that God awfully long name????

Sorry, but it IS WAYYYYYY too lonnnnggggggggg.

LMAO!

Actually I had changed my name here. Was larry994 before.

Then I had the old account closed some time after I started this one.

My new name is a more catchy name, I think.

Of course, you will forfeit your points, and any applauses, post count, etc. Just like starting new.

But changing your name is an option, as long as you are up front about it, and don't try to keep both of them.

[edit on 6/27/2007 by Mechanic 32]

[edit on 6/27/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join