It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geneology and Freemasonry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
HELLLOOOOO ATS!

I guess I would be what you call a "lurker", and I have finally decided to make a long term commitment to ATS. I can't wait to get to know some of ya. Anyway, back to the post.

Alright, so the other day I was snooping around here looking for information about joining the Freemasons. Regardless of what some of you think, I see it as an interesting journey to take. And a way to feel like you are part of something important and sacred.

So I was looking at the requirements of joining, and I noticed that if you are a son of a Mason they are more that willing to open their "ears" to you and why you would like to join. While doing this, my dad asked me what I was looking at. I responded "secret society stuff dad." He says "oh like the guys that have the ruler things and the G in the middle?". Yes I say to him.

To my surprise he tells me that his father, my grandfather, was a mason back in South Carolina where he grew up. I believe it was the Amity Lodge 340. I am going to contact the South Carolina Grand Lodge and ask them if they can confirm that my grandfather was a member.

But what I really would like to know is whether or not me or my father and I both would be able to join a lodge around where we live now (Seattle suburbs). I know there are a few Masons around these parts so I would love to hear what you guys can fill me in on. Thanks a ton.

I'm so glad to be a fellow ATSer.

Droops

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Masonry is open to all men. Much like any fraternity, there is a certain pride in following a parent or grandparent into the instution, but there is no bias or requirement for that. You simply need to be a civil, humane, and perhaps even a bit humble, at least to the point of believing in a "higher power" or "supreme being". In America, it is usually God, as most of us are christian or jewish. Budda, Ala, etc, whatever you prefer. It is not a religious institution, but sugguests that religion can be used to better yourself.

And... it's not a secret society. If it was you wouldnt know about it, would you? It does have some secrets, as any other such group. For, instace, I know some Elks members. I'v sat at their bar, Ive been in their meeting room, and I know yo have to be a patriotic citezen to join. Having not joined, though, the ceremony of initiation remains a secret to me. I've never herd the Elks referred to as a secret society........

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dieselboy
And... it's not a secret society. If it was you wouldnt know about it, would you?

Very well put. I've read about the "supreme being" or god or what have you. And I do believe that there is something or someone I guess who is in charge of it all. Heck, for all we know, our universe could just be some kids 4th Grade Science experiment. You never know.

Glad to see someone responded

Droops

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hi Droopies,

As dieselboy said, there's no requirement of having had family in Masonry to join although it does help you sort out the facts from the fiction.

Your father can certainly join and in fact, last week in our Lodge, a younger brother who is our IPM (Immediate Past Master) of the Lodge helped raise his older brother to Master Mason and their father who is a past Grand Lodge officer was also there and assisted in the ceremony.

Good luck to you and your father and I'd suggest Googling Masonry and Seattle and pursue things from there

HTH
Fitz

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Fitzgibbon]One Google link

Another Google link

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Fitzgibbon]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Unless you two are atheists, you will probably get in, assuming you are good, upright citizens. Any decent person can get in, assuming they have belief in a supreme being. It doesn't matter what form, though I think most are Christian.

I don't think family makes any difference for being admitted to masonry, but I could be wrong. If you do have family, though, as other have said, you can get the real information on the masons. There's a lot of really weird stuff out there on the subject, and they can help educate you and decide whether masonry is for you or not.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
thanks you guys. I really appreciate you helping me out with this. hopefully by this weekend I will have some results and let you guys know what happens.

I'm going to South Carolina in May and I'm going to try and see if I can visit the Lodge my Grandfather was a part of and maybe have the privilege of having a tour or even being able to sit down with someone and discuss this further. Just gotta make sure I show up on the right day and not show up when no one is there.

I'll keep you guys informed, and thanks again.

Droops

[edit on 12-3-2007 by DrOOpieS]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Good luck to you and again, I'd suggest Googling the Lodge's name, number and city. Ofttimes, the Lodge will have a Web presence (even if it's only a one-page wonder with contact information). It'd make it a whole lot easier to arrange a tour plus help you avoid the heartbreak of missing out on the tour if their meeting nights don't happen during your trip.

Good luck
Fitz

top topics

join