It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Earth urged to remove "Mount Hitler" name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Google Earth urged to remove "Mount Hitler" name

www.thanhniennews.com

The mayor of a small town in Germany on Thursday called on Google Earth to delete a reference to a nearby "Mount Hitler" from its geographic image service, saying it was misleading.
Andreas Wiedemann, mayor of Bad Toelz, south of Munich, said the peak near the Bavarian town had been known as Mount Hitler for a short time during the Third Reich but had been given back its original name of Heigelkopf after World War Two.

Google Earth users who call up a map of the area are given both names for the 1,205-meter (3,950 feet) mountain.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I don't quite understand this one. If it was called Mount Hitler during World War 2 and had been changed, then this should not appear anymore unless there was an honest mistake.

If it's not, then, could it be possible that this is intentional?

www.thanhniennews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-3-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I t was most likely just a simple mistake, that up until now no one
had noticed.

I mean considering that Google Earth does detail the entire geogra-
phy of the Earth, and than some, mistakes like this are not going to
be unheard of.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This isnt berchestgaden is it ?
The eagles nest, or is it another mountain?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I would accept that it was a mistake if it just had the one name on the mountain, instead of both. Who would know it as Mount Hitler such that people wouldn't recognize the name until they saw it? Yeah, this is Heigelkopf, or, for those of you who are Nazis cryogenicly frozen for the past 60 years, Mount Hitler.

This just smells intentional, either done by someone trying to keep the legacy alive or someone trying to give Germany a black eye...

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I thought so too, that this could be intentional for whatsoever reasons.

In Germany, there is a ban on displaying swastika cross. One time, I saw in a news about a landscape, that when viewed from above like in an airplane you can actually see it is a giant swastika cross.

Not sure what happend on this because I did not read anymore news updates.

The issue about using the swastika cross in Germany is clear to me, but I am not sure about using the name Hitler.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Sure, the name have been banned since the day of defeat, probably one of the very first bans the allied forces put in place.

A popular acronym the Germans started to use for his name was USA, meaning 'Unsere Shergeerhte Adolf' (Our Beloved Adolf).

So now they can call it Mount USA.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
All I have to say is:

"Who cares?"

Does it make a difference on the name? Does it make a difference whether or not it's named after a historical figure? We haven't forgotten about Hitler, so what's wrong with having it mentioned?

Nothing I say.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshua Crick
All I have to say is:

"Who cares?"

Does it make a difference on the name? Does it make a difference whether or not it's named after a historical figure? We haven't forgotten about Hitler, so what's wrong with having it mentioned?

Nothing I say.

1. It's not the name of the mountain, and has'nt been for a very long time.
2. It's name is a historical figure who sent millions to there death.
3. It's in Germany, and they don't want there landmarks mismarked.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
People think mentioning Nazi's is like, wow evil Satan crap! He was some dude, maybe crazy, who hated Jews. He researched tons of crap (UFOs!) and well, he lost the war. People think so sad about it. Get over it! roar!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Its that simple for you, because you wernt around in those days.

Nazism, and hitler were the most devestating thing that ever happened to mankind.

Think about if they had of defeated britian and the US, you WOULD be speaking German right now.

They dont want it mentioned, or portrayed ever again in their society in fear neo-nazi types may increase in numbers.

Ive stood on the area where hitlers BUnker was, where his body was burned after he committed suicide.. and there's NOTHING there... nothing but a car park, some tree's and patchy grass.

They wouldnt even make a note for the public of where his final resting place was...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
To add to how the Germans feel about Hitler, I read a news notice yesterday, that they want to strip him posthumous of his German citizenship.

For those younger and not so fimiliar with recent history, I can add that he became German citizen in 1932, only a few month before the Reictag fire.

The monster was originally Austrian, I should add.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's like calling Volgograd, Stalingrad.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Its that simple for you, because you wernt around in those days.

Nazism, and hitler were the most devestating thing that ever happened to mankind.

Think about if they had of defeated britian and the US, you WOULD be speaking German right now.

They dont want it mentioned, or portrayed ever again in their society in fear neo-nazi types may increase in numbers.

Ive stood on the area where hitlers BUnker was, where his body was burned after he committed suicide.. and there's NOTHING there... nothing but a car park, some tree's and patchy grass.

They wouldnt even make a note for the public of where his final resting place was...

"Nazism, and hitler were the most devestating thing that ever happened to mankind"

With the greatest respect I think you might want to re-look at history and may be what's going on in our own countries before making this emotional statement. A death is a death wether its from Gas, a bullet, a bomb, stravation, economic terrorism etc etc

Hitler was being hailed as a 'great leader' by the likes of Churchill and other such statesmen even as he was performing some of his actions!

Mao (est. 50+ million deaths ), Stalin to name a few have many times more deaths directly or indirectly. But its all about who writes our history and what we do with the information.

Just another, probably misguided comment from me I'd conceed?

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I get what your saying,
But at the same time I think you miss what im saying.

Its not just hitler, and the war.. its everything that RESULTED From it.

IE Israel
IE Nuclear weapons
IE Hiroshima
IE England destruction
IE Loss of life.

WW2 set in motion events that have shaped the world we live in today.
Some in good ways, some in bad ways.

Had hitler never of been around, life as we know it would of been drastically different.

Hitler was a smart man, An insane lunatic but a smart man, especially when it came to governments, politics and people.

a great leader?
... depends how you look at it.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
has anyone seen that hitler house, on google?

hillarious.

new topics

top topics

join