It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apathy...The dangers of not caring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Those of us that post here know that to do nothing solves nothing. However the vast majority of people in this country just do not care enough to research the problems facing our society today. They don’t know and don’t care what our government is doing until it’s a news story on the 6 o clock news.

This has become commonplace in our society, we just don’t have the will to stand up anymore and scream FOUL when something like the patriot act passes without our consent. The reason these strange and awful laws pass is because we as a society are now disconnected from our representatives

Many people don’t even know how easy it is to actually write your congressman in Washington. The unfortunate other part is when you write to them often times you get a form letter back in the mail that either has little to do with what you wanted to discuss or you get ignored completely.

Our lives are busy; we have families, events, meetings, or other things we have to do. We often times don’t have the 5 minutes it would take to shoot off an email to our elected officials in Washington.

The site I am going to give you has links to what is going on in our nations capital, what is being voted on and you can also look up the email address of your representative so that you can voice your opinion on what this country should be doing.

Apathy is a dangerous thing. We can no longer afford to let those in power just do what they will without at least telling them our opinion of it. These people are supposed to be required to vote the conscience of their constituency. If enough of us write to the people that we elect and tell them ENOUGH, listen to me! Perhaps we can bring about the changes that we as Americans seem to want.

Click here to contact your representative

Click here for current congressional schedules

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
However the vast majority of people in this country just do not care enough to research the problems facing our society today. They don’t know and don’t care what our government is doing until it’s a news story on the 6 o clock news.

How do you know this? Did you care enough to research this jibberish? I have you talked to a majority of people in this country?

This has become commonplace in our society, we just don’t have the will to stand up anymore and scream FOUL when something like the patriot act passes without our consent. The reason these strange and awful laws pass is because we as a society are now disconnected from our representatives

I see, so when legislatation passes that you do not like, it is foul, common place and without our consent. There is no law saying what laws have to be passed or saying with the people's consent.

Good luck with the rest.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I hope that you are not trying to say that just because people aren't protesting in the streets, that means they are apathetic and don't give a damn. Because that just isn't the case.

People care. Just because they aren't protesting in the streets about the Patriot Act, or at least portions of it, doesn't mean they don't care. Polls and such say different. It's just they have to live their lives, get the children off to school, go to work so they can feed the children, house the children...they simply do not have the time neccessary to write their duly elected representitive. They express their displeasure, or satisfaction, at the voting booth. That's the only place that matters in the end.

I have time to do so, but only because I don't have a child to raise, or much of a life at all, comes to that. I have the time to write, wrangle, and otherwise irritate the powers that be, at least locally.

It's not apathy, or at least not mostly. It is quite simply and understandably, a severe lack of time and energy. Working up enough spleen and anger to write your congress-critter, knowing that in all likelihood its going to be ignored, takes a lot of energy.

Now having said all that, I'm going to agree that there is indeed apathy out there, but its born of not so much not caring as it is from the feeling that there is nothing they can do. That the powers that be are not interested in the "little people". Frustration fuels this seeming apathy, not not caring.

Did that last make any sense at all?

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by etotheitheta
How do you know this? Did you care enough to research this jibberish? I have you talked to a majority of people in this country?

I havent but pro polsters have...

I see, so when legislatation passes that you do not like, it is foul, common place and without our consent. There is no law saying what laws have to be passed or saying with the people's consent.

No actualy there is no law saying that a member of congress has to use the opinions of the constituancy of their representitve state

there are a couple of amendments to the constitution that seem to cover this but I may be wrong.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I hope that you are not trying to say that just because people aren't protesting in the streets, that means they are apathetic and don't give a damn. Because that just isn't the case.
Did that last make any sense at all?

Im not saying that the people don't care, they do I hear it every day. The problem is that they don't care enough to do anything about it. I am not saying either that we need to be protesting in the streets. I am saying that when a law comes about like the patriot act that strips away our constitutional rights and makes it easier for the government to run over it's people, then it's time to start writing those emails.

I know it's a buisy life. Believe me I have a child and I have a full time job. But I at least take some time out of my week to review what our government is doing and write my rep. how I feel that he should vote on a matter. Well honestly not every subject gets an opinion from me but certain subjects get my attention.

I think that when you say that people just feel that our reps just ignore their complaints it makes me disheartened by the way that the people of our country have gotten used to the idea that if they complain that nothing will happen. If enough people would take five minutes out of their day to write in their concience then perhaps this country would be a better place for us all.

[edit on 3-3-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I agree with you on most of what you say. I think they try to do more than you think, maybe not on a national level; but on a local and state level. I've worked a number of patition drives concerning taxes and other matters...it all depends upon whether or not the issue concerns them directly. This isn't a recent phenomenon either, it's always been this way.

Throughout American history, Americans for the most part are not real interested in an issue, until it begins to effect them. When the Patriot Act begins to effect the majority of Americans in an obviously detrimental fashion, they'll act. Lest you think I support the Patriot Act, I have issues with portions of it...just thought I'd toss that out there.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with you, whatukno. And I honestly think that there is a majority of people in the US who see what's going on, but until it affects them personally, there's not enough motivation for them to do anything. I didn't see your post as accusing everyone of not caring. I didn't take it as an insult or anything. I think it's true.

Far too many people are too busy and too comfortable to be affected by what's happening in our country. YET.

They've got their wide-screens, their 2 SUVs, their kids are in soccer and ballet, they're eating processed foods nearly every night, they have their 200 channels, their computers... Life is good. And the government WANTS it that way so the people are "occupied" while Bushco has their way with the country.

Apathy (and comfort) can be very dangerous!

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
It seems to me that the majority of Americans prefer others to make decisions for them, because they are too busy going about their own lives. Only when it's too late will they all stand up and scream, but by then it will be too late. Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin and neither gives a sh*t about you and me.

There is only one political party anymore and that is the elite. Once you see that, you realize just how futile it is to expect honesty and compassion out of our elected officials. You have to be incredibly wealthy to run for any office, that should tell you everything about our political system.

top topics

join