It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norton un-installable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i have Norton anti virus, now im just so sick of it that i want to throw it out the window, BUT, it is impossible to uninstall. does anyone know how to remove it at all or do i have to reformat?

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have read somewhere that pre-installed versions of Norton can not be uninstalled, but I have never seen it "personally".

The company where I work has a client that had that problem, the Norton anti-virus expired and they were not capable of uninstalling it. Because they did not want to remain without an anti-virus they installed a different one, and the computers became terribly slow, normal for a computer with two anti-virus.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
i really hate norton because of the same reason as you and i've tried idfferent methods that had positive results but may not be what u want.
u can uninstall the antivirus software but the norton suite will still be on your system and this is until u remove all the other programs that norton installed and only then will you be able to unistall it but since i hate this program so much i never use it so i'm talking about norton a year ago from the one time i tried it.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I had to completely wipe my old computer because of Norton, it stopped all the programs I wanted to use until I went mental and actually stopped AOL from working in the end and when I tried to uninstall it wouldn't have it. A real pain in the ass

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I have no idea how to un-install it. I just bought a windows Vista Home Premium version computer, and it has Norton already installed on it.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Here is a fool proof way of uninstalling norton from your computer but going into the registry can mess up your computer so I take no responsibility for any problems you encounter as a result of these steps.

Generally, you remove applications by using the Windows utility for the task, but Norton Antivirus tends to get in a bit deeper into the system, so it's tricker to remove it completely. Here's how you can do that:

1. Go to Start --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs.
2. Scroll down to your Norton program
3. Click Change --> Remove All.
You will be asked to restart your PC. Do so.
4. Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each Symantec folder and select Delete.
5. While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every Symantec folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
6. Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in Norton and delete each Norton folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
7. Repeat step 5 except type Symantec in the "Search" box.

The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.

1. First thing to do is Back up the Registry. I'll be saying more about the Registry later. But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
2. Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
3. Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete".
4. From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
5. Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
6. Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.

That should completely eradicate Norton Antivirus from your system!

top topics

join