It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 New Species Found - In A Fish Market!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   

20 New Species Found - In A Fish Market!

Source Link: www.msnbc.msn.com

Twenty new species of sharks and rays have been discovered in Indonesia during a five-year survey of catches at local fish markets, Australian researchers said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Is it me or is this border on preposterous? TWENTY new, never before seen species of fishes are found in a Fish Market.

I'm curious how you would order.

"Excuse me. I'll take a pound of shrimp, 2 dozen clams, oh, and a pound and a half of that never before seen species. Any cooking tips?"

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Interesting but I wonder if they are more than just new species but rather mutation of existing species due to the pollutants in the water.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Fish market? What recipes are available for these new species?

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Interesting question. Doesn't the question need be asked whether these new species are poisonous or not? Certain fish, such as the Blowfish are highly toxic.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well something to think about, The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) may be doing studies in Indonesia but their background is rather interesting. . .

Research highlights include the invention of atomic absorption spectroscopy, development of the first polymer banknote, invention of the insect repellent in Aerogard, gene splicing technology and the introduction of a series of biological controls into Australia, such as the introduction of Myxomatosis and Rabbit calicivirus for the control of rabbit populations. CSIRO's research into ICT technologies has resulted in advances such as the Panoptic Search Engine[1] (now known as Funnelback) and Annodex[2].
en.wikipedia.org...

It may be something more than just new species what they are into . . . in Indonesia. . .

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'll bet they weren't new to the locals who had them for sale. The oceans are huge and there is so much life in the waters around indonesia that the surprise here should be that scientists didn't think doing this market crawl more often or earlier.

The fish pictured all look like similar species found in other areas of the world.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I'll bet they weren't new to the locals who had them for sale. The oceans are huge and there is so much life in the waters around indonesia that the surprise here should be that scientists didn't think doing this market crawl more often or earlier.

The fish pictured all look like similar species found in other areas of the world.

You may be right about that, but it still makes you wonder. I mean we're talking about TWENTY new species. Not one, two, or even a dozen but TWENTY.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well it's over 5 years, not just one trip to the market.

Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish!
How fresh is it?
Well... it's so fresh they don't even have a name for it.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Well it's over 5 years, not just one trip to the market.

Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish!
How fresh is it?
Well... it's so fresh they don't even have a name for it.

Now that's funny! Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Keep in mind that these are new species, but within known genuses (genii?). So they'd be recognizable as a regular fish that a person might consume. Species distinctions can be very fine indeed.

new topics

top topics

join