It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Based on Zeus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ive read that all known pictures, statues, and what not of Jesus are all based on Zeus. Think Jesus as a prophet and son of God was based off of the Greco-Roman views of Zeus as a main god?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomanianDacianHun
Ive read that all known pictures, statues, and what not of Jesus are all based on Zeus. Think Jesus as a prophet and son of God was based off of the Greco-Roman views of Zeus as a main god?

no, if anything the greek influences on the christian religion came from the eastern mystery cults, particularly that of dionysus

most of them centered around ritual and singular deities

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

no, if anything the greek influences on the christian religion came from the eastern mystery cults, particularly that of dionysus

Sorry, I should have added if the Greco-Roman views on a supreme god could relate to Jesus as well. The main point was that all known images of Jesus were sculpted after images of Zeus.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

No. He's definately more Middle Eastern.

While you might (vaguely) suggest Jehovah and Jove/Zeus are cut from the same cloth, the cultural differences here are so huge that it just won't wash. Zeus/Jove were married, wandered around on Earth having sex with mortal women and occasionally playing jokes on humans, etc, etc. Jehovah sits in the sky and proclaims things (on a few occasions he comes down for a stroll.)

I've seen things that suggest Jesus was modeled after Mithras or Dionysus. That's a bit more plausible but there's still a number of problems with that view, I believe. However, I haven't gone and researched he timelines and the details of the myths.

I do know that the Jove-Zeus/Jesus connection really isn't there.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Zeus/Jove were married, wandered around on Earth having sex with mortal women

Every man's fantasy

It's not like jesus of a guy wandering around the land of Israel, having sex with poor women trying to exorcise their deamons

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike

Zeus/Jove were married, wandered around on Earth having sex with mortal women

Every man's fantasy

It's not like jesus of a guy wandering around the land of Israel, having sex with poor women trying to exorcise their deamons

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

That would be wonderful, even if the woman isnt attracted you can just force her into it.
but if Zeus can get women pregnate then he must produce "man jelly"....hmm...think he could catch an STD?

[edit on 27-2-2007 by RomanianDacianHun]

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Also, what Byrd said about Jesus being/looking too Middle Eastern, being that Jesus was a Jew I sometimes think that certain Jews look like some Eastern Europeans. Ive even read that Semetic people and some Eastern European/Central Asian people were only seperated by linguistic families. Thats pretty much just comparing the fair skin and dark features such as hair and eyes between the two groups. Pretty much racial/ethnic profiling, not very good but hey theres always necessary evils.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

These cunningly devised fables were put in place to keep mankind from seeing the prophesied Messiah.

2 Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Acts 14:8 In Lystra there sat a man crippled in his feet, who was lame from birth and had never walked. 9 He listened to Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed 10 and called out, "Stand up on your feet!" At that, the man jumped up and began to walk. 11 When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in human form!" 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes because he was the chief speaker. 13 The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought bulls and wreaths to the city gates because he and the crowd wanted to offer sacrifices to them. 14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: 15 "Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Sorry, Dionysus is Greek and the son of Zeus. He is the Roman god Bacchus.

FYI Zeus is Nimrod as is Dionysus despite being the son of Zeus in Greek mythology.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Sorry, Dionysus is Greek and the son of Zeus. He is the Roman god Bacchus.

greek mystery cults count as eastern mystery cults, i've already explained this

FYI Zeus is Nimrod as is Dionysus despite being the son of Zeus in Greek mythology.

you have yet to prove this point, you were given 2 entire threads dedicated to having you prove this point

either prove your points in either of those threads or shut up about it in this one

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

you have yet to prove this point, you were given 2 entire threads dedicated to having you prove this point

either prove your points in either of those threads or shut up about it in this one

Like I told you.............You don't understand 2+2 and I don't have time to teach you things that are meant to be hidden from you. But I always give you a tidbit of information. You can choose to seek out the truth or continue to walk in blindness.......Your choice.

And you have yet to disprove anything that I have said. That being said heres another tidbit of truth.

By the Hellenic era, Greek awareness of Osiris had grown, and attempts had been made to merge Greek philosophy, such as Platonism, and the cult of Osiris (especially the myth of his resurrection), resulting in a new mystery religion. Gradually, this became more popular, and was exported to other parts of the Greek sphere of influence. However, these mystery religions valued the change in wisdom, personality, and knowledge of fundamental truth, rather than the exact details of the acknowledged myths on which their teachings were superimposed. Thus in each region that it was exported to, the myth was changed to be about a similar local god, resulting in a series of gods, who had originally been quite distinct, but who were now syncretisms with Osiris. These gods became known as Osiris-Dionysus.

en.wikipedia.org...

And yet there is a simpler explanation: Dionysus, Bromius, Sabazius, Attis, Adonis, Zalmoxis, Corybas, Serapis, and Orpheus himself are replicas of their grand prototype Osiris; and the variations which appear among them resulted from the transplantation of the god from one country to another, and reflect simply the specific needs of his multifarious worshipers (37-38).

Here's your tidbit..........Dionysus is Osiris..........Please feel free to try and disprove this. I believe if you do a search you can find that Osiris is Nimrod and that the Mystery Religion came from Zoroaster who is also Nimrod.......and no not the Irianian prophet Zoroaster. We have already covered this and I believe I got no response. Your choice, if you want to know the truth it's there to be found.en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Here's your tidbit..........Dionysus is Osiris..........Please feel free to try and disprove this.

now that i don't deny
why?
because the greeks and egyptians frequently exchanged deities
hell, alex the great referred to zeus by both that name an amon.

I believe if you do a search you can find that Osiris is Nimrod and that the Mystery Religion came from Zoroaster who is also Nimrod.......and no not the Irianian prophet Zoroaster.

why don't you just get back to that one thread where i challenged you to make a point AND SHOW US

We have already covered this and I believe I got no response. Your choice, if you want to know the truth it's there to be

if by cover it you mean you just tell me "madness, go do the research yourself and you'll find it"

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

why don't you just get back to that one thread where i challenged you to make a point AND SHOW US

All I saw in those thread was a bunch of crying (I'm not including you in that comment). I don't waste my time unless I find someone wanting to learn. Had you commented on my original post about Hinduism and Zoroastrianism having the same origin I would have continued. Since there was no attempt to disprove what I said what can I do. And so here you are agreeing with me again. Osiris is Dionysus among many other gods.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Actually the legend of Jesus has much more in common with the Nativity of Horus and other Egyptian gods than with Zeus.

It becomes difficult however to identify each part as it goes along because the Egyptian pharoahs (who are gods themselves) come along and add new chapters to the story... but the parallels are extremely obvious.

One part that is quite blatant is the Nativity of Neith. Neith was called 'Beloved' by the people and gave birth while being a virgin. Originally this story was just one of gods, until Amenhotep III attributed it to his wife who gave birth to his son, Akhenaten, consequently 'became' Horus. As the tale evolved further, Neith was forgotten and it became the birth of a human child with divine powers, born of a virgin human woman.

As the legend continued to spread his mother 'became' Neith as he had become Horus. And as I said Neith was called 'Beloved', which was Mery in Egyptian.

Additionally Horus was annointed into his godhood by Anubis, and afterward was called Horus Karast, which is written HR KRST in texts. Similarly, Jesus became Christ after being annointed by John.

Ancient Egyptian theology is quite difficult to understand, and my understanding is very limited, because they saw their Kings as gods, and as such a royal who did something similar to a legend often 'became' the God who had originally done the deed.
It confuses the matter, but at the same time allows us to see clearly how things had developed. Akhenaten-Horus was worshipped as a god, and his mother (who became Neith) was worshipped as goddess and the mother of a god. Its possible that the veneration of Mary evolved from this too.

Of course early Christians noticed these parallels and came up with an ingenious way of discounting them - they claimed that the heretics had stolen the mythology and practises of Christianity...... before they were even created. THOSE FIENDS!

EDIT:

This site has a large table with the similarities of their lives next to each other... there a more than a few.

[edit on 9/3/07 by JackofBlades]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Zeus/Jove were married, wandered around on Earth having sex with mortal women and occasionally playing jokes on humans, etc, etc. Jehovah sits in the sky and proclaims things (on a few occasions he comes down for a stroll.)

Not sure.
Seems that Jehovah had some Zeus tendencies...
After all, check out the 'virgin' birth.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
To address the OP s question ,I believe what the Jesus is Zeus assertion is meant to say is that the artists who were depicting the icons of the New Religion which in this case was Christianity recycled old iconography classical Greek . They would of course have been used to depicting the KING of Gods in a certain way ,so also with portrayals of the Virgin Mother and so on just purely as a visual bridge from one Mythology to another. So Jesus is given the iconographic image of the god he replaces ,just to make the transition more seamless. Sound familiar?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can see a vague argument for the portrayal of Jehovah crossing over with that of Jove. But the early portraits of Jesus have nothing in common with Jove (which would have been a contemporary deity) -- for one thing, in the earliest portraits, Jesus has reasonably short hair... and is beardless. The Callixtus catacomb has one such representation:
www.religionfacts.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I can see a vague argument for the portrayal of Jehovah crossing over with that of Jove. But the early portraits of Jesus have nothing in common with Jove (which would have been a contemporary deity) -- for one thing, in the earliest portraits, Jesus has reasonably short hair... and is beardless. The Callixtus catacomb has one such representation:
www.religionfacts.com...

Yeah, there is perhaps a case to be made for Jehovah and Jove having a common origin. I should note a weird passage in Justin's Hortatory Address to the Greeks where he asks, "from what other source, if not from his reading the writings of the prophets, could Plato have derived the information he gives us, that Jupiter drives a winged chariot in heaven?"

The earliest depictions of Jesus often portray him as young shepherd or a solar deity, which has provided a good deal of fodder for the Christ-Mythers.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by Eleleth]

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RomanianDacianHun

Hmmm... I don't know about that. I have read that the most popular westernized images of Jesus, as they say, are of Cesare Borgia, son of Pope Alexander VI painted by Leonard Da Vinci. Nonetheless, it is idolatry either way to me. The belief is that Christ is God, but God commands not to make any graven images of Him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join