It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The chat needs to be fixed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
... It's a Beta version if you haven't noticed. And has been for a very long time. Its functionality is very poor, which leads to neglegence. A lot of resources apparently is for the forum and unnessesary eye candy.

7A

To my knowledge...it was working very well until today.

Now all of a sudden this is some long neglected fire yet nobody said a thing before. There is a complaints/suggestion button you know. We do read them.

And I don't think there is "unnessesary eye candy" or a lot of resources going into other areas. In fact, you might not even know all the resources that go into running this entire site. I find that a pretty demeaning statement to those that put in huge efforts in time and money to give you an entire social discusssion site with multiple perks for free.

As I said. We'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Everyone, I know you're antsy but we'll get it fixed.

I sent out a distress call. It will be handled as soon as possible.

Thank you we apreciate it and all that the Staff and Mods do here on ATS thank you

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Now all of a sudden this is some long neglected fire yet nobody said a thing before. There is a complaints/suggestion button you know. We do read them.

Your knowledge is flawed. It's been acting freaky ever since it was changed from Flash to Ajax. No one has brought this up because SO knows this to be the case, and I guess it's assumed that with all the renovations going on around here, chat is low in the list of priorities.

I think these complaints have surfaced now, because it's taken a turn for the worse. I joined earlier, and nothing I typed would appear on the screen.

As long as it is functional, I for one am happy. Dodgy chat is better than no chat. There are some great people who frequent that room, [you know who you are] and I have enjoyed many a decent conversation.

I hope it's sorted soon.

All the best.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
... It's a Beta version if you haven't noticed. And has been for a very long time. Its functionality is very poor, which leads to neglegence. A lot of resources apparently is for the forum and unnessesary eye candy.

7A

And I don't think there is "unnessesary eye candy" or a lot of resources going into other areas. In fact, you might not even know all the resources that go into running this entire site. I find that a pretty demeaning statement to those that put in huge efforts in time and money to give you an entire social discusssion site with multiple perks for free.

As I said. We'll get it fixed as soon as possible.

I didn't know there was a complain and suggestion button. But I'll look into that pronto. The thing is, that the chat hasn't been working. SO is in the chat and apparently he is working on something. I do not gripe about the coding because the site's coding is great. >_>. So I am glad that you will fix the problem soon.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Yeah, he's probably in there working to fix it (it's php chat and not ajax) and wondering why we even have a chat.

I don't might having it and or fixing it, but many of the complaints have a tone like we shot someone's dog or something. We've tried to improve the overall site (which is still happening) before tackling chat.

Personally, my vote is now leaning toward scrapping the whole thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It'd be a shame to scrap it if you ask me. I've met some fantastic people of a like mind, and some fantastic people of not such a like mind though ATS chat.

I think it's damn good to learn more about the personality of some of the posters that frequent this site, and ATS chat is a fantastic way to do exactly that.

However, I'm sure the ATS powers that be know best.

Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I actually use the chat every day and I will dislike it if the chat gets closed down. The PMs were working until now, so that means that SO must be working on getting it either back to normal or scrapping the whole thing. You cannot currently even log into the chat now.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I would hate to see Chat shut down, but I can see where Zed is coming from on this. Some of our members here are coming across as spoiled brats. We have members that are whining about things and pointing fingers without taking a second to consider the facts. Others are offering a substantiated opinion, while remaining respectful, and I think that is what ATS is all about. I think our opinions matter, but when we show a complete disregard for the efforts put forth by some, well that would make me want to scrap it too.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
its fixed. Thanks SO.

TD

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I don't might having it and or fixing it, but many of the complaints have a tone like we shot someone's dog or something.

Scruffy NOOOO! why god? why?

I understand that it will take time to complete the work and everyone just has to remember that this is a huge site, its well maintained, its also free for all to enjoy. So with that we all have to remember that while it's a little inconvienent now. It probably will be fixed as soon as possible. Unless we all degrade into mindless nay sayers and ruin the fun for everyone.

Thank you S.O. and ZeddicusZulZorander

Edit to add: ah its fixed as I was typing out this.

THANK YOU S.O. Thank YOU ZeddicusZulZorander

[edit on 21-2-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sweet,

SO, you truly have mad skills.

Thank you very much.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I would hate to see Chat shut down, but I can see where Zed is coming from on this. Some of our members here are coming across as spoiled brats. We have members that are whining about things and pointing fingers without taking a second to consider the facts. Others are offering a substantiated opinion, while remaining respectful, and I think that is what ATS is all about. I think our opinions matter, but when we show a complete disregard for the efforts put forth by some, well that would make me want to scrap it too.

I dont think its that we are spoiled brats, just that we had a functional chat that worked decently (flash chat) and its like we were downgraded. Im pretty much a daily chat user. I like more direct conversations and often use it as a debating tool. I go in there and spark a conversation and maybe a debate or two. It was the fact I thought we were upgrading chat to something better then the flash chat, when we actually got something of much poorer function then the previous chat.

Thats why I was unhappy. I didn't understand why we downgraded chat is all.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
I dont think its that we are spoiled brats, just that we had a functional chat that worked decently (flash chat) and its like we were downgraded. I

I'm not saying I disagree grim, but the way some members are approaching this, I would consider them to be spoiled brats. You do not fall under this umbrella, nor do most other members, but there are a select few here who seem to want to point the finger whenever they get a chance. Nothing even constructive about it, just gives off the image of their hands flailing in the air with a high pitched whining. "I want, I want, I want!"

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Chissler, I have to agree with grimreaper. We had a functioning flash chat and, as grimreaper put it, it seems we downgraded. I don't hear the high pitched whines of those who just "want want want". I simply hear the voices of people who don't understand why one particular aspect of ATS does not work as well as it might.

Yes, I do understand that "the powers that be" are overworked, understaffed and that ATS just went through an amazing makeover. It certainly could not have been an easy undertaking to say the least. Nevertheless, it is only natural for ATS members to desire every aspect of "their" site to function. After all, it only reflects upon the site as a whole.

I can only surmise that the priorities facing "the powers that be" do not include "upgrading chat" at this time. I am certain, however, that with a little patience and understanding, all will be made right. ATS is an amazing site which has only improved over the years and I am sure that ATS will continue to improve as evidenced by the beautiful "Dark Matter" redesign. Keeping this in mind, as well as the "beta" designation that comes with the current chat, I am positive that we will all be satisfied with a new, functional chat in the near future.

But if one must hear whining .....
Hey! How about increasing the character limits on the username!
I can't handle being called benevolent tyra It just ain't right.

[edit on 2/26/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join