It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramids in Antarctica???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted by byrd
The first exploration was in 1603, and people have been mapping and exploring it ever since then. In the 1930's, it was divided up into areas and different governments had control of different pieces of the land. Permanent bases were established, and expeditions of up to 4000 men went through the land. :
www.antarcticaonline.com...

Areas of interest were looked at thoroughly.

How thoroughly? Well, we've discovered dinosaur fossils and fossils of plants from the time of the dinosaurs. We travel to the interior to mark the effects of global pollution. It's been photographed by plane and by satellite. And there are many tour companies that take tourists to Antarctica every year.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Did they explored the land under the huge mass of ice?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
yes
thermal satelite did that a long time ago
guess what
no pyramids

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Ok. let's assume for the moment that there are no pyramids on the Antarctic continent to be found. This still doesn't negate the possibility, however likely/unlikely it may be, that some ancient civilization may once have lived there. The reason that I say this is because there is evidence of habitation by other creatures at one time, which means that it was once in a warmer climate. This could mean that there was a group of people, for lack of a better term, living in the area along with the other creatures.

200 million years ago? Mammals hadn't evolved then, and it would be about 195 million years before something that looks vaguely primate showed up.

The point here is that there's no evidence either way.

Au contraire... there's a lot of evidence.

And, as I've said before, the lack of evidence is not proof of anything.

The evidence is that Antarctica has been frozen over long before most mammals appeared and long before humans were around. Ice cores have been dug down to the bedrock and the rock explored, so we know climates and influences.

Just because we haven't found anything doesn't mean that it isn't there. We may just not be looking in the right places.

I'd like to encourage folks to read more about Antarctica. I hadn't realized that people don't spend much time reading up on it.

Here's a great page on some of the research:
www.antarcticconnection.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
You still make mistakes, Marduk...As a scientist you claim you are then, you should be more specific!!!
There is no life in Antarctica?!

Technically correct. In the interior, there's really nothing. Penguins and so forth are only on the coast. It's a huge continent but beyond the seacoast there's nothing.

better start with melting all the ice to see what's hidding there!

We don't need to. Imaging can see beneath it. We know what the land looks like.

My standpoint is that you shouldn't melt anything or we will sunk all as Atlandis once from melting the glaciers of Europe

You might like to do a bit more reading on the geology of Europe and on the glaciers. Your suggested timeline way out of whack with the facts.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Byrd for all you know there are pyramids underground somewhere in Antarctica .

Of course probably not but just to say, no one knows.

I won't go and say that i know for sure there are no pyramids in Antarctica because truth be told, i don't know and everyone else on this planet doesn't know as well.

I am open to the possibility that there are pyramids and i am open to the possibility that there are no pyramids so i am not arguing with anyone here, i am simply stating that it's unknown.

So don't reply to me like i am trying to argue byrd please.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Why do people talk about ancient civilisation in the same breath as the dinosaurs?

The petroglyphs of dinosaurs were drawn by men.

I saw sculptures of dinosaurs. Who made these? Other dinosaurs?

ancient men making dinosaur art

Remains of the hog, the horse and other animals of recent date, together with human bones mingled with the bones of the mastodon and extinct gigantic lizards

[edit on 21-2-2007 by win 52]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Accidental double post

[edit on 21-2-2007 by selfless]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I will remain 100% open minded on this subject.

So no arguing from me.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The problem I have with all this is that even though Antarctica is a busy place its also a very remote and inaccessible place, tourists might be taken there, expeditions may well take place, as they do in Nevada, but you would never get as far as area 51 would you.

Recently someone bought to attention the heavily censored google sat map of Puerto Rico, so the chances of seeing any kind of pyramid in Antarctica through google map are zilch.

Originally posted by Indellkoffer

Originally posted by bergle
I call your attention to the ancient map showing the outline of antarcticas coastal shape.Under the ice! which is never been debunked.pere rees map?

The map hasn't been debunked, but it's the coast of South America. The notion that it's the coast of Antarctica has been debunked many times (including by documents of sailors and ocean voyages.)

Can you please supply links to this debunking?

Originally posted by Xphilesphan
I read somewhere that James Cook found ruins in antarctica and "talking books." I cant seem to find where I read that. Wonder if anybody else has heard this?

It's not only that!

AtlandisTV on an expedition to creat a documentary in Antarctica has been gaged by CIA not to expose ruins..!
[edit on 19-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

Sorry but that was bebunked here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by damajikninja
Interesting. You know, last year, there were headlines even on Fox News about an "Anomaly Discovered Under Lake Vostok" in Antarctica. They said that a ground-penetrating radar satelite up there in orbit, caught snapshots of some kind of "man-made structure" about 2 miles under the surface.

Source - Quickie Read (1 paragraph)

Did someone mention satellite pictures?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have seen a satellite picture just once on British TV and have been looking for it online for over two years and have never come across it. Whether it was unwittingly broadcast as real but was a hoax perpetrated by atlantis tv I don’t know but if what I saw was a hoax then why have I never seen it on the internet?????????????????????????. Seriously

The satellite picture I saw was of a structure under the ice and had the distinct shape of Pluto’s description of Atlantis. It was bizarre, I have seen it with my own eyes, and never seen it broadcast again.

I suppose the only way I will ever know is if I contact the broadcasters themselves and see what they say.

And that picture posted of a mountin shaped like a pyramid, did any other open minded soul think it looked almost CHISSLED?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I have seen it with my own eyes, and never seen it broadcast again.

have you seen Aliens versus Predator

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I've heard from a friend that the Ancient egyptians had maps of antartica without the ice covering. if that's true then who knows?

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Win 52
I saw sculptures of dinosaurs. Who made these? Other dinosaurs?

There are thousands of dinosaur rock-works

The rocks of Ica

The second picture is an Ágnato and the third a domesticated tricerápode

(If not to mention the other images)

Also, there is the compined research by researchers from Oregon State University, the University of Toronto and the University of Durham in the United Kingdom Concerning the importaance of Antarctica

CORVALLIS, Ore. – A massive and unusually abrupt rise in sea level about 14,200 years ago was caused by the partial collapse of ice sheets in Antarctica, a new study has shown, in research that solves a mystery scientists have been heatedly debating for more than a decade.

The cause of this event, called the "global meltwater pulse 1A" since it was first identified in 1989, has until now been unknown. This study not only pinpoints the source of the meltwater pulse, but it also makes clear that significant climatic events can occur very rapidly and unpredictably.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
assume for a moment ?
are you just incapable of reason Borg
there are no pyramids in antartica

Alright.. I'm going to try this from another angle, to try and get my point across. As a disclaimer, I do NOT, for any reason whatsoever, deny the current scientific evidence that an ancient civilization did not exist on the Antarctic continent. My main point here was, and still is, that there's no way for us to know if an advanced civilization ever lived there alongside, or even before the dinosaurs. True, it's mere speculation, and that's something I'll freely admit, but much of our scientific understanding came from such speculations over the course of many centuries. We had to develop a "scientific method" to help us better guage the validity of new science. This method allowed us to, through a system of steps, come to a conclusion about a speculation, or theory, proposed by the scientist.

To deny that is to deny who we are, and what we stand for. If you deny that, then we have no common ground to work from.

over 60 million years ago

Exactly. Who are we to say that some prior civilization didn't exist here. We've not discovered everything there is to discover about this planet, and I'll wager that we never will. Scientists like to tout that they know an awful lot of stuff, and they get proven wrong time and time again. I'd sooner believe a science fiction writer than I would a scientist, since they have a better grasp of what the future holds for us, as well as the past.

in that case you dont know anything at all about ancient civiliations
the oldest found so far dates vacb 7000 years
Antartica hasn't been capable of supporting life for over 35 million years
hows your math

I like how you dodge topics marduk. It's funny that you find the ONE little point to pick at, which by the way, was an inconsequential one to be honest. I think the point of interest in your post above is the phrase "found so far", as that suggests there may be more to find. I'm merely suggesting that we've become a bit too close-minded. We're unwilling, as a civilization to think outside the box, as you so adequately illustrate. No, I have no proof for my claims, but by your own admission, neither do you.

actually there is no evidence that what you say ever happened
there is tons and tons of evidence that it never happened which you have chosen to ignore
thats just plain ignorance on your part buddy
wake up and smell the cofee
youre being incredibly obtuse

Show me some of these "tons and tons of evidence that it never happened" marduk. Better yet, show me just ONE that definitively proves your position. And the lack of evidence doesn't count, because I can use that too. Find something uniquely definitive.

I should, yet again, point out that my position is one of being undecided. I'm just the one trying to keep an open mind, as the rest of the science community takes everything they find to be all that there is to the story, and just embellishes the rest. People like to tell stories, and I can respect that. However, when you go and make that "story" into a history that you teach others as fact, you rob the world of the potentiallity of the truth ever emerging.

All I want is the acknowledgement that you know that it is POSSIBLE for there to have been a highly advanced civilization here, on tha Antarctic continent, before or during the age of the dinosaurs. If you can admit that, then we may have some hopes of meeting in thought.

thats exactly what it means
an absence of evidence is evidence of absence

And that is circular logic, because I can turn it right back around. That makes it invalid in a logical debate. Steer clear of those, as all they will do is trap you. What happens if, sometime this year, they discover the ancient remains of a neolithic site on the Antarctic continent? Wouldn't that rewrite the history that you say can't be?

I just answered Marduks post, proving that human can live in any condition adapting new ways of behaviour...

you answered it by proving that there is no life in antartica nor has there ever been any pyramids there
well done

Even though this last point here wasn't mine, I feel like commenting anyway. While I freely admit that there aren't any pyramids in Antarctica, that we've found thusfar, I find it grossly negligent on our parts to just accept that there weren't other habitations by some other civilizaion at some point in the distant past.

Yes, while I know the topic of this thread was about pyramids down there, I also know that this thread became a much bigger debate about the legitimacy of life on that cold continent, and history in general.

For that, you have my apologies. I never intended to go so far from the core of the debate. I just wanted to clarify an important point that I thought needed it.

Thanks for reading,

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
200 million years ago? Mammals hadn't evolved then, and it would be about 195 million years before something that looks vaguely primate showed up.

Which is my point here Byrd. I don't think anyone understands what I'm suggesting here. I'm talking about an entire prior creation/civilization history here. What I'm really thinking is that this planet could have been used several times before us, and we are just yet another incarnation of creatures that this planet has nurtured into being.

Au contraire... there's a lot of evidence.

Show me some. Aside from the lack thereof.

The evidence is that Antarctica has been frozen over long before most mammals appeared and long before humans were around. Ice cores have been dug down to the bedrock and the rock explored, so we know climates and influences.

And yet dinoaurs lived there. It was warmer at one point. Isn't it just possible that some other civilization lived there as well? If dinosaurs could live there, so could other intelligent creatures. Surely you must see that as at least plausible as well, right?

I'd like to encourage folks to read more about Antarctica. I hadn't realized that people don't spend much time reading up on it.

Here's a great page on some of the research:
www.antarcticconnection.com...

Just because I don't read up on everything to do with it doesn't negate the probability of what I said being true. I'm merely suggesting that an open mind is in order here. Without one, what good is any amount of research? Good science leaves us with more questions than answers, as that's the only way that we'll evolve.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I will remain positive to the thermal penetration of Lake Vostok.
The besteria scientists have found have been today-known forms of microorganism in a period lesser than 14,200 years ago, which mutated to sustain the extreme pressures, low temperatures and the lack of light when antarctica started to freeze...and from that time microbial life in the lake could have quietly been evolving into strange and unique forms.

According to a source from University of Washington: Link

The main reason that Antarctica appears to have cooled during the 1990s is that a natural phenomenon called the Antarctic Oscillation, or Southern Annular Mode, was largely in its positive phase during that time. The Antarctic Oscillation is so named because atmospheric pressure in far southern latitudes randomly oscillates between positive and negative phases. During the positive phase, a vortex of wind is tightly focused on the polar region and prevents warmer air from mixing with the frigid polar air, which keeps Antarctica colder.

It's seams that although the glombal warming and the rise of temperature about two-tenths of a degree Celsius in the last 150 years, The phenomenon appears to be shined by an inertia while the time lag between the destabilizing climate changes.

He noted that other research has suggested that ozone depletion in the Southern Hemisphere is keeping the Antarctic Oscillation in its positive phase for longer periods.

What am i trying to say here is that in a time long ago, 14,200 years something melt the ice fields of Antarctica temporalily signaling a rise of the ocean sea level.

I am just wondering if Atlandis had ever industrialism to bring global warming... If so, the the gods (god is also portraied as nature) rightfully cursed them...

[edit on 22-2-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

What am i trying to say here is that in a time long ago, 14,200 years something melt the ice fields of Antarctica temporalily signaling a rise of the ocean sea level.

Yes. This was at the end of the last ice age. It seems likely that it was caused by rising sea levels. The temperature in Antarctica at the time was even colder than it is today

You might like to read up on the climatic history of Antarctica before you speculate further - we do know an awful lot more about the continent that you may think

www.hi.is...

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Which is my point here Byrd. I don't think anyone understands what I'm suggesting here. I'm talking about an entire prior creation/civilization history here. What I'm really thinking is that this planet could have been used several times before us, and we are just yet another incarnation of creatures that this planet has nurtured into being.

I hope you will someday get the opportunity to take an archaeology course or a paleontology course or join an archaeological society or paleontological society. It's fun!

In any case, there are ways to tell if there had been older civilizations. I could write a book and answer all the points, but I don't want to be that longwinded here. Technology leaves traces, and the higher the tech, the greater the area (square miles) that is affected and shaped by the presence of the society.

And yet dinoaurs lived there. It was warmer at one point. Isn't it just possible that some other civilization lived there as well? If dinosaurs could live there, so could other intelligent creatures. Surely you must see that as at least plausible as well, right?

Again, I don't want to go into the geological lecture mode, but no, there weren't ancient civilizations 300 million years ago. And dinos aren't terribly intelligent. The vast saurpods (bigger than eight modern elephants) only had brains about the same size as a 6 foot tall human. (and no frontal lobes to speak of)

Just because I don't read up on everything to do with it doesn't negate the probability of what I said being true. I'm merely suggesting that an open mind is in order here.

Openmindedness requires discernment and study. You're not truly openminded if you accep ideas without looking fully at them (every idea you could have enountered might be from a biased racist source, or might be from a very unbiased source. But you don't know until you look into it fully.)

That's why I encourage people to read up on what has been found out about Antarctica before speculating. many of the things that are published on the Internet simply aren't true.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

posted by the borg
My main point here was, and still is, that there's no way for us to know if an advanced civilization ever lived there alongside, or even before the dinosaurs.

I see
so what you're saying is that this

is not a kids cartoon as we have been led to believe
but is in fact a documentary
well hey you're entitled to your opinion of course
lololololol

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I will remain positive to the thermal penetration of Lake Vostok.
The besteria scientists have found have been today-known forms of microorganism in a period lesser than 14,200 years ago, which mutated to sustain the extreme pressures, low temperatures and the lack of light when antarctica started to freeze...and from that time microbial life in the lake could have quietly been evolving into strange and unique forms.

Two things I think we need clarified:

Question 1: What are "besteria scientists"?
Question 2: Are you implying that the as yet to be proven to exist Antarctic pyramids were constructed by highly adaptive microorganisms or other forms of microbial life?

Because if you are proposing that the "pyramids" are of a relative scale to a microorganism then I guess maybe, just maybe, you could be correct.

See Marduk, it is possible that it was overlooked after all.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join