It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Hypocrits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have noticed a few things about some christians, and by no means am i pointing fingers once so ever at anyone, i am friends with many religous people and my family is also religous, i just choose not to be..

anyways, i work with this really great guy, very religous, very involved with his church, youthgroups, summer camps, etc.. if it has to do with the church, you best believe he's involved in some way. well i noticed working with him that he dosn't cuss, ever. he dosn't even say damn or hell. he uses words like flippin' or ticked off, you know stuff like that.

now despite all this i've also noticed how freely and carelessly he uses words like faggot, fag, gay, homo, queer, etc.. he uses these words like they wouldnt offend anyone anywhere

IMO homophobic slurs such as these can be 100x more harmful/damaging(even to those who aren't homosexuals) then the f word or sh*t or a$$

how can one be so dedicated to their religion that they will absolutley not cuss, but use homophobic slurs on the REGULAR like they're meaningless. this just does not make sence to me and is all together hypocritical, and i know he is not the only christian/religous fanatic like this

[edit on 16-2-2007 by biotic]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
If using derogatory terms towards gays is his only shortcoming, I have no doubt he's allot closer to heaven than most christians

In all religions you have to have the good/bad, saviour/devil, us/them mentality. If you don't have anyone to put down it's mighty hard to feel superior to them.

The church is rife with hypocrisy. All churches are, simply because they are made up of human beings and we are extrordinarily fallible.

Both of my parents were hellfire and brimstone preachers and when I say I was raised in the church, I mean I was actually raised living inside the damn building. Could I ever tell you some stories about hypocrisy

[edit on 16-2-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I must agree with mrwupy on this one. I once worked with a guy for eight years and he never once swore and he wasn't even a Christian.
Christians are not perfect. Thats why they go to church because they understand sin and are trying to do something about it. Personally I drink, smoke and sometimes swear. I am working on it but I am human after all.
This person is not a hypocrit, he sounds like a great person to me with just a few more things to sort out. No one will ever be perfect, we can only try.
Why not tell this guy about your observations. I think he would be quite shocked that he could be hurting others by his comments and thank you for pointing it out to him. on the other hand maybe not

Jon 1

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by biotic

how can one be so dedicated to their religion that they will absolutley not cuss, but use homophobic slurs on the REGULAR like they're meaningless. this just does not make sence to me and is all together hypocritical, and i know he is not the only christian/religous fanatic like this

[edit on 16-2-2007 by biotic]

I am sure this is because he has read that homosexuality is an abomination to God and believes they are going to hell anyway.

This is sort of like that other thread about john lennon being in hell and seeing all those people, fornicators, drunkards, etc. who are in hell.

This really bugged me because it sounded like everyone is/was condemned to hell for something.

So I read my bible, in the new testament and I found something else that was disturbing to me.

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus refuses to heal a woman because she was a canaanite and refers to her, and presumbaly her people as dogs. This greatly distrubed me because this was not the merciful, loving, accepting Christ I had been taught about. BTW, he did heal her or her son, cant remember which, after she acknowledged she was a dog and that Israel were her Masters.

So, it got me thinking.... Did Jesus Christ only come to save Israel or everybody as is claimed?

Well, I found my answer with the Apostle Paul, rather some scripture with an explanation.

Apparently, the Jews rejection of Christ, along with other things, opened the doors for gentiles to be saved as well. Israel is not without hope, they will just be saved at the end when all the gentiles have been saved.

Anyway, I had always heard that it was through faith and not deeds that got one into heaven and here is the reason:

It is said in the scripture that there is NOT one man righteous enough to enter the kingdom of God by election or deeds alone. Not one, Except for Christ. So, if none of us are worthy of entering the kingdom of God and will never be worthy by our deeds, how do we get there? The answer is through faith in Jesus Christ.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It may be his way of "preaching" or trying to open a dialogue about a social issue in which he holds a strong opinion. You might try having a discussion with him sometime about Christian views and homosexuality (unless you don't think you can do so with equanimity). Or you might just try telling him that such terms are as offensive to you and others as cuss words would be to him. At which point you'll probably get that discussion about Christian views and homosexuality whether you asked for it or not. lol.

Two cents worth here and anyone can feel free to give me change back: Not everyone who disagrees with homosexuality as an acceptable alternative life style is a "homophobe". Having no preference for a particular ideology does not mean one is "afraid or phobic" of that ideaology-just that it's not preferred. Are freedom loving Americans called commiephobes or naziphobes? It's a difference in ideaology and the right to swing one's fist around in public ends with another's nose, no matter who's doing the swinging.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
hello, i was wondering what chapter from the book of Matthew can i find this story of the woman and a dog.

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus refuses to heal a woman because she was a canaanite and refers to her, and presumbaly her people as dogs. This greatly distrubed me because this was not the merciful, loving, accepting Christ I had been taught about. BTW, he did heal her or her son, cant remember which, after she acknowledged she was a dog and that Israel were her Masters.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The woman was a Phoenician and her child was possessed by a demon. She pleaded with Jesus to remove the demon. He informed the woman that his focus was on the lost sheep of Israel only. Israel was primary because they were supposed to be the chosen ones, the masters, who would have a special role in God's future plan of which Jesus was to be a part of also. When he brought up the part about the masters, she then reasoned with him that a master gives table scraps to his dog and that they can benefit from the fine meal as well. He was so impressed with her faith and conviction that he granted her favor.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
The woman was a Phoenician and her child was possessed by a demon. She pleaded with Jesus to remove the demon. He informed the woman that his focus was on the lost sheep of Israel only. Israel was primary because they were supposed to be the chosen ones, the masters, who would have a special role in God's future plan of which Jesus was to be a part of also. When he brought up the part about the masters, she then reasoned with him that a master gives table scraps to his dog and that they can benefit from the fine meal as well. He was so impressed with her faith and conviction that he granted her favor.

I know what he was trying to say, thats why I went to see if Jesus was here to save the gentiles, as I have always heard. I guess I just havent read far enough into the new testament yet, being that the answer comes from the book of Romans.

Somehow, the message becomes that Jesus would save the gentiles out of spite for Israel's rejection and that Israel would be saved last among all nations of the world.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by XphilesPhan]

new topics

top topics

join