It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Wallpaper.. Just round the corner??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hi there,

I posted this earlier under the 3D paintbrush thread, however I thought it interesting enough to stand up in its own thread.

New technology allows for ultra thin flexible display technology NOW...

What we will see happening in the near future is these displays finding themselves into our every day tech such as mobile phone type tech...

Italian handheld to feature flexible display

Sony the beautiful tech company is working on a PC tablet which uses deformation of the screen itself as a kind of control mechanic.

Gummi: User Interface for Deformable Computers

Then we will see the screen resolution and colour increase...

Then my prediction is that this tech will find its way into a kind of DIGITAL WALL PAPER...

Image sitting in your living area or bedroom and being able to control the screen saver that is actually your wall paper....

Turning your whole wall into a single or series of screens....

The applications are endless...

What about embedding high quality cameras into the walls and ceilings...

Communications.... True video conferencing.... Virtual board meetings anyone???

You could literally walk around the house and the display follows you...

Or perhaps the display could change images by detecting the amount and type of movement that is happening in the room???

Games.... Well.... This speaks for itself... but the games.... Virtual RPG's and sports games anyone?

What about being able to display up to 1024 different screens of 52" wide around the house at the same time, each driven by its own independent content??

The future is very bright!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Neon Haze]

apc

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm not so sure about wallpaper in the classical sense. Unless these screens can be developed in a manner that reflects light, they should still need some sort of backlighting. I wonder just how thin they can make fiberoptic luminescent sheeting.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
E-Ink works by reflection.

apc

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yeah E-Ink is pretty cool. All the consumers reviews I've read about it say it currently sucks. It'll get better eventually though. Little like 12 or 16bit color displays should be on the market soon I think. Still a long ways off from being anything revolutionary.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Very neat stuff. Holodeck anyone? With technology that advances as fast as it has, I can imagine what this will be in a few years. What great entertainment it would be to program in areas around the world...or just make the room look bigger and watch guests walk into the wall.

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slade88green
Very neat stuff..... or just make the room look bigger and watch guests walk into the wall.

lol, that would be so funny, I can imagin some friends of mine doing that.

-fm

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slade88green
or just make the room look bigger and watch guests walk into the wall.

That's a very interesting thought.

Virtual communities are huge business, an industry currently worth billions. Virtual real estate in virtual worlds is selling for a premium, it would be easy for this technology to support itself economically.

A perfect application would be to project life size second life. This would really merge the line between virtual and real life.

I for one have no time what so ever to be able to enjoy online applications of MMORPG and virtual worlds such as second life / world of warcraft etc....

The key for this technology to be successful will be in content provision.

There will of course be corporate providers of content but there will be an open market of trading. What I can see is virtual objects appearing for auction on EBay.

Of course if you are proficient enough to program your own objects then you could be a self employed virtual fabricator.

The possibilities for creating a virtual shop front and operate as a traditional shop with people coming and going all projected straight onto the wall of your living area.

What was earlier your living area outside of working hours has now turned into your working environments.

The possibilities for this technology as I said earlier are literally endless.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 18-3-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
E-Ink works by reflection.

Take a look at this....

I just bought a sony ericsson p990i and wish I had held on for one of those...

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Neon Haze]

top topics

join