It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the sports section here so Lame?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Is it that everybody is a complete non sports guy or what?

Nobody ever gets involved with a sports topic, Why?

I could ask a question at an ESPN forum and 600 responses, here its one if lucky.

Maybe we should do away with it. The only people who want to talk sports in this forum are the Europeans.

That's ok being a Manchester United fan living in Texas, at least they have something interesting to talk about.

Or am I wrong. Come on say something.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If ESPN had a "9/11 Conspiracies" section how many hits would it get, do you think?

But hell, I'm having a slow day at work, what do you want to talk about? I'm game.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have also noticed this. I am a big football fan. I really don't take much interest in baseball and I only get involved with basketball during the playoffs. Although,I do keep up with the records of certain teams...namely the Mavericks..

I could watch football year round. I love it. I can't wait until August rolls around, beginning of training camp for football.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I too am a serious football junkie...but it is easy to find solace in March, the GREATEST month in SPORTS.

The NCAA Tourney is the BEST and these next few weeks leading up to it are always awe-some.

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I do keep up with the records of certain teams...namely the Mavericks..

It's definitely high times for Mavericks fans...I, on the other hand, am a Sonics fan. Which is really equivalent to being a meth addict these days...except with meth you get a little high before you shrivel up and fade away.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
Why is the sports section here so Lame?

Or am I wrong. Come on say something.

Personally, I blame you.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is also the slowest time in the year for sports. After the superbowl nothing really happens until March Madness. Once spring training starts I was thinking about making a Fantasy Baseball thread for all you rotogeeks.

Pitchers and catchers are reporting, baseball is getting close!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
March Madness is coming up, (I Have loved the tournament since I can remember).

NFL draft (Its almost as much fun trying to decide who YOU would draft, etc.)

NBA sucks. (Especially since the Spurs are getting too old and falling apart).

All I have to say to Yeahright is yeah right.....

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
To answer the initial question, because no one pays attention, and everything is lumped together here. We used to have a separate sports board, but not many went over there for some reason. It still was pretty poplar, though.

Now it's just the ugly step child of the black sheep of the ATS family. And the regular posters from the old ST days hardly come 'round anymore...

~GB

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
In response to the original poster and title of this thread. Rather than posting a negative topic - title, you might have spent your time in a better way by creating new threads - topics to get people talking about sports and trying to create some interest.

Im a Redskins, Oakland A's fan living in London, UK and i'll talk about any US sport aswell as my own countries sports. I use to help run the sports board, we've set up fantasy leagues for everyone to join in on and i have a sport blog on here to gain more interest.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
There used to be a separate board for sports run by (I think) SkepticOverlord's son. They shut down that site not too long ago for some reason and created these two forums in BTS to preserve the discussion.

So, it's here if you want to discuss sports in this community, but if you really want heavy sports discussion, you'd probably want to use a site dedicated to sports.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I mean, this is a discussion board for conspiracy related discussion. Members do not sign up for Above Top Secret to discuss sports, but it is extra feature that is available to members. If your threads are not garnering much of a response, maybe you need to look within rather than pointing fingers at the site, or it's members.

I'm quite satisfied with our current Sports discussion on Above Top Secret.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Conspiracy nuts like us can't watch sports? I would have thought that the believe in conpiracy has reached into all facets of life on earth.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Conspiracy nuts like us can't watch sports?

What everyone is saying is that most of us go to a dedicated sports site to get our fix.

Complaining about the sports board on a conspiracy site is like complaining about the fish sandwich served at McDonalds.

(i.e., Maybe your expectations are to blame...? Maybe?)

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Conspiracy nuts like us can't watch sports? I would have thought that the believe in conpiracy has reached into all facets of life on earth.

Let's break down what you actually just said.

Conspiracy nuts... where in my post did I say anything of the sort?
can't watch sports... where did I refer to this in my post?

Before I go any farther, what of my previous post is evident in anything you have said?

I did not say that "conspiracy nuts" can not watch sports, I said that the topics that members are more "inclined" to discuss are not sports related. There are plenty of discussion boards that house plenty of discussion surrounding sports.

Now keep in mind I am a huge sports fan and I chat in the forums quite regularly. However, I clearly understand why our two sports forums do not garner the same attention as say the War On Terrorism or 9/11 Forum.

Are you also aware that the two sports forums that we do have were only introduced about five or six weeks ago? Before that we did not have any sports discussion on the site, which certainly could indicate why we have a small amount of discussion today. Awhile ago, as dj has said, we were linked up with SportzTawk which SkepticOverlord's son ran for quite some time. All of the threads from his site have been introduced into both of our Sports forums. Plenty of material at your disposal to read.

Doesn't seem very "lame" to me.

Honestly though, why do you insist on complaining about how "lame" something is on the site? If it is not up to par for your expectations, make a personal adjustment. Complaining about how lame the site and "we" are is hardly constructive.

And if you spend some time on the boards and meet a few members, you will understand that plenty of avid sports fans are housed here. However, it is not the primary topic of discussion.

Originally posted by Essedarius
Complaining about the sports board on a conspiracy site is like complaining about the fish sandwich served at McDonalds.

Even though McDonalds has a fish sandwich, that I would never attempt to consume, the message is loud and clear.

Well said Essedarius!

[edit on 20-2-2007 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
There are people who need it. Conpiracy nuts was my sarcastic way of describing all of us. What I'm talking about is the lack of reponses anyone gets who talks about any main stream US sports.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
* chissler steps down

Well as I, and others have said, maybe you need to look within rather than playing the "blame game". I'm quite satisfied with our Sports Discussion on ATS.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To try and get more dicussion on the subject. I love football, basketball, baseball and never seem to get more than one other guy/gal to talk about it.

PS Any single woman who wants to talk sports, there might be a ring in it for you later down the line....just kidding..or am I

[edit on 20-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Royal...there is only so much that can be said about any given sport... For example, basketball... What is one to say, I mean, right now, it is pretty obvious which team is currently the best... My Dallas Mavericks, of course...
Football... Indianapolis won the Super Bowl... Baseball, it's just now starting to get warmed up. Hockey, who cares?

I mean, you are talking,when discussing sports, a pretty limited scoped subject.. I mean, unless you want to get into all of the personal issues of the individual players and such... there is not a whole lot to be said...

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As a matter of fact, I happen to like the McDonald's Filet o' Fish.

Anyway, here's a thread you could start-

Vote for the top defensive players in MLB over the last 50 years.

Who's not on the ballot that should be? (Steve Garvey anyone? Anyone? Anyone?)

Anyone on the ballot that shouldn't be? Who are your picks?

Discuss among yourselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Who's not on the ballot that should be? (Steve Garvey anyone? Anyone? Anyone?)

Garvey gets no love from the Hall or from anybody.
I think everyone feels like he got laid so much that he doesn't deserve to have anything else good happen to him in his life.

Bret Boone should be under 2nd Baseman...not saying he's the best...but he should be on the list.

Anyone on the ballot that shouldn't be?

Derek Jeter is a great charasmatic leader and all-around player...but he couldn't hold Omar's or Ozzie's jock defensively. The SS list really should just have those two guys on it...they're in their own league.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join