It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any cops here on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hey, I'm currently at that stage in life where I'm considering what I want to do with my life. Actually, I've been at this stage for a couple of years now (I'm 19,) but I'm seriously considering going into police work. Is anyone here a cop or knows someone who is in police work that can maybe give me some information on a few things? I know that the starting salary isn't incredibly high, but how about room for growth and maybe an opportunity to make money later on? I'm not talking about being rich, but enough to buy a house, etc. What kind of schooling do you need? Advice?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me... I've been searching on the bls.gov, but there's still a lot of questions I have.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Become a dentist, you'll make more :p

plus you'll still get to see gruesomeness

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Funny...that's seriously the career I'm also considering. Did you know that they have the highest suicide rate of any job?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman

Originally posted by Lysergic

Funny...that's seriously the career I'm also considering. Did you know that they have the highest suicide rate of any job?

I knew that.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
A friend of mine did nothing but dream of being a cop all his life. He went through college and applied numerous times and eventually became one, then went on to join the Florida Highway Patrol. He is now a seargent. I can ask him if you would like to give you some advice if you like.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Do yourself a favor and dont become a dentist. There is something about that profession that turns people very weird.

Become a cop and take care of us proudly.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I would choose dentist over cop. It seems like a more noble profession to me.

As a dentist, you give people drugs. As a cop you steal people's drugs.

[edit on 2/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Thanks guys! Ben, that'd be awesome if you could talk to your friend. I mean don't go out of your way or anything, but if you see him soon and you could bring it up that'd be great. If you get the chance, ask him about schooling, and if going to college first will help you get ahead. I want to move forward as much as possible - maybe become a detective or something. Maybe even SWAT...but I know absolutely nothing about that! Anyway, thanks a lot if you can do that for me.

dg - Yeah, the suicide thing kinda turned me off being a dentist. Then again, I read that in 2004, the mean salary for dentists was almost $130,000. That's pretty tempting! Being a cop just seems like so much fun, though. Plus, if I'm a cop, all that working out that I do will actually come in handy.

Djohnsto - Don't worry, I live in Arizona...all the way across the country from you...

I'm also considering the Army. If I do join, it'll be through officer school and not just enlistment, though. I have a family member who is ex-special forces (recently.) That seems extremely exciting and rewarding.

Sorry...didn't mean to turn this into "Herman's career day."

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'll have 21+ years this year.

What exactly would you like to know?

I will try and address some of your initial points...

1. Get at least a 2 year degree. Especially if you plan on making any money in the future. My degree is the single most important thing that has enabled me to get to where I am now.
2. Be patient. Too may Police Officers do what I call "Department Shop." They jump again and again to different departments for a few cents more per hour. I have found that by persevering, one may expect a higher pay-off in promotions for being loyal.
3. Get in and STAY in shape. EVERYONE hates a fat cop. That and a lot of the out of shape cops tend to over compensate with "power" issues.
4. Take some evening courses in ethics. Not saying that you don't already have them, just get to understand the humanistic and sociological impact of ethical behavior. Especially in Law Enforcement.
5. Perhaps the most important. Once in, volunteer for as many Police Schools as you possibly can. Even go to them on your own time and pay for them yourself if you have to. Remember, Law Enforcement is NOT A JOB. It is a career, if you are to be successful.

Finally, like anything else, if you are devoted, loyal and do what you believe in, the money will come. At first it is usually a struggle, it was for me coming from the Marines after the dirt farm in West Virginia, but now after these many years, the rewards are comfortable and .. well Rewarding.. LOL

Don't get cocky
Understand you lose more power than you ever gain with the badge
Take some self defense
Care about people

and

Make sure you are willing to "serve" and that is your calling..

Well hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me...

Semper

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I would choose dentist over cop. It seems like a more noble profession to me.

As a dentist, you give people drugs. As a cop you steal people's drugs.

[edit on 2/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

Yes! Even better is an anesthesiologist.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.job-employment-guide.com...

There is good news for you on the anesthesiologist’s career front. The average anesthesiologist salary is pegged at USD 317,248 per annum according to one survey. Another survey has figures that are slightly more conservative at USD 264,900 per annum (ranging from USD 223, 000 per annum to USD 310,365 per annum). The figures given by the Health Affairs report range from a starting salary of USD 242,886 per annum to USD 334,121 per annum. Whichever survey you consider, the anesthesiologist salary is certainly better off than many other professions.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
JamesMcMahn is a cop.

He has a thread where he answers police questions here

[edit on 15/2/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Thanks, Semper! That helps a lot. I looked at the physical requirements for the Phoenix police academy, and I already exceed all of them, so that shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that I'm worried about is my eye sight. I wear contact lenses, but I'm pretty sure that my eyesight is correctable to 20/20. My perscription isn't very strong, but I'm not sure what my eyesight without contacts is. I think they told me once that I was close to legally blind without corrective lenses, and that kind of worries me because I know that they have restrictions when it comes to that.

What kind of degree should I get exactly? I was looking online, and it looked like you didn't even need school, but I'd definitely like to go and do as much as I can right now anyway. My parents have agreed to pay for my college in whatever I choose, so I feel like I should seize the opportunity now.

Thanks for that link, enjoies. I'm reading it now.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Don't get cocky
Understand you lose more power than you ever gain with the badge
Take some self defense
Care about people

and

Make sure you are willing to "serve" and that is your calling..

Well hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me...

Semper

I wish I had a WATS left for you this month sir! That last part was so inspiring, it left me with a lump in my throat. You sir are what being an officer of the law has always meant to me.

I am proud of just being on this thread with you semper. Damn proud!

A toast to you and others like you.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Thanks LGM....

As for the eye sight question..

Most departments now only require "Corrected" to 20/20... Some may still be sticking with old standards, but they lose a lot of good quality candidates that way.

As for a degree, there is always the vaunted "Criminal Justice" degree. But for practicality sake, it really does not matter. My Deputy Chief has a BS in "Fire Science" of all things.... (Sounds like BS to me) (But don't tell him LOL)

The physical requirements are NOT all about the academy, though that may seem very important to you now. It is once you get going in your career that staying in shape becomes less of an issue and actually should be of prime importance.

In my "Hay Day" I was fighting at least twice a week and I can tell you it was my size, strength and weight lifting that kept me healthy. Well that and some common sense.

Seriously though, please feel free to U2U me or post on here any questions...

My experience ranges from Road cop, to FBI Certified Fire Arms Instructor, to Uniform Narcotics, DEA Task Force, and 10 years + in SWAT as a Team Leader and Sniper as well... Lots of other stuff as you can imagine, I am not one to sit still. But alas, now I am old and mostly I manage, well that and handle Major Cases now. Not as fun, but a lot more challenging... Being a Detective is a different life..

Semper

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Semper I agree with LGM, truely inspiring. That attitude seems so rare now days. I voted you WATS.
Herman, I say go for being a cop!!! My brother-in-law was studing medicine but deep down wanted to be a cop. Four years ago he went through the acadamy and has never looked back. He loves his job.
Good Luck!!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Do yourself a favor and dont become a dentist. There is something about that profession that turns people very weird.

I don't know, but I have been told that there is a high suicide rate in dentistry.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I made a Police Questions thread you should look at, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Did you know that being a police officer is the second most stressful job in the world?

top topics

join