It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blasphemy Challenge

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

Originally posted by apex
Why is it that with this sort of thing it always seems to be about Christianity? I didn't see someone denying Muhammed/Allah, or a Hindu God. Honestly, at times I think some atheists only consider Christianity, then decide not to believe that.

Of course they could be denying christ because they really are muslims, hindus, Buddhists, Jews etc.

Incase you never bothered to read the links - Its a blasphemy challenge denouncing the holy spirit, you know the unforgiveable sin!!. The holy spirit and unforgiveable sin is only christian based so it makes sense that it is denying christianity dont you think??

G

It's only a sin if you denounce God when you believe in him; these people don't believe in God in the first place so denouncing God in their case is forgivable.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
nevertheless

God IS

always

Wow, strong argument.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The only benefit I gained from reading this thread, was seeing this video:

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Why don't they post videos of people saying 'I don't believe Mohammed was a prophet of God?'

They won't though, because they'd get all kinds of trouble.

Christians (and this is an attack on Christians) are easy targets because we're taught to love everyone, even those that persecute us.

I feel sorry for the kids on the videos. No moral base, no hope. Wonder why so many are killing themselves?

Edit: I noticed this 'competition' is sponsored by a humanist organisation.

www.rationalresponders.com

No surprise there then.

[edit on 19/2/07 by jimboman]

[edit on 19/2/07 by jimboman]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Why don't they post videos of people saying 'I don't believe Mohammed was a prophet of God?'

because islam can forgive that

They won't though, because they'd get all kinds of trouble.

Christians (and this is an attack on Christians) are easy targets because we're taught to love everyone, even those that persecute us.

ohhhh no, you're being persecuted...
yeah, because you know, you don't make up 1/3 of the world's population these days....

christian's aren't persecuted in america
they don't do it because there is no sin in islam that is irredeemable

I feel sorry for the kids on the videos. No moral base, no hope. Wonder why so many are killing themselves?

what?
no moral base?
atheists are either as moral or more moral
according to a 1997 study by the federal bureau of prisons atheists made up 10% of the nation's population, but only 0.2% of the prison population
while christians made up 75% of both populations

Edit: I noticed this 'competition' is sponsored by a humanist organisation.
www.rationalresponders.com

No surprise there then.

what's wrong with humanism?
is logically derived common secular morality bad?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Because its mostly christians that have a problem with atheistic views.

While you are correct in that people of a religious temperament are less likely to commit suicide.

Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

It is important to keep in mind that atheism and agnosticism have no inherent proscription against suicide, so higher rates of suicide among agnostics and atheists should in no way be considered a failure of these belief systems. Indeed, compassionate tolerance for suicide and euthenasia are widely regarded as hallmarks of many secular societies.

The list of countries with the highest levels of atheism, agnosticism and non-belief in God strongly correlates with countries that have the most liberal (or "progressive") laws, policies and practices regarding right-to-die, assisted suicide, and euthenasia for infants, the terminally ill, chronic pain sufferers, the handicapped, and depressed individuals.

G

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Jesus says that blaspheming the Holy Ghost is one sin that cannot be forgiven.

After watching the video...you knew what you were doing when you made it.

To blatantly do it and to challenge the creator is messing with something that I want nothing to do with.

Any who reads this, I would not encourage the support of this as this is one clear warning in the Bible.

Its behavior like this, and a shallow understanding of the will of Christ and the Father, which is the reason that war and hate thrive today. People outright taking a sacred belief and will and trashing it.

I hope that all who are believers pray for those that know not what they do despite doing it knowing clearly that they are challenging a force they know not.

May God have mercy on them

Peace

[edit on 19-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

[edit on 19-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

To blatantly do it and to challenge the creator is messing with something that I want nothing to do with.
Thats assuming that there is a creator TO challenge doesn't it??????

Any who reads this, I would not encourage the support of this as this is one clear warning in the Bible.
Anyone who reads THIS - dont listen to HIFI's warning and make your blaspheming videos, blaspheme to your hearts content, denounce the holy spirit/ghost, denounce the christian churches, the christian way of life and set yourself free.

Its behavior like this, and a shallow understanding of the will of Christ and the Father, which is the reason that war and hate thrive today. People outright taking a sacred belief and will and trashing it.
Its only sacred to christians and you dont make up the majority of the worlds population, so who cares? Since when does anyone have to agree that it is sacred belief??? Who says that anyone should hold religious belief with any respect???

I hope that all who are believers pray for those that know not what they do despite doing it knowing clearly that they are challenging a force they know not.

Peace

Peace to you as well, but keep your god to yourself - I want no part in it nor his mercy that you think he gives out.

Have a nice day and keep those blasphening videos coming.

G

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Peace

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

christian's aren't persecuted in america

Aren't they? As far as I'm aware (I'm in Ireland) you can't pray in school, the 10 commandments (which are originally Jewish) are being removed from public places and society in general has more drug-addicts and murders than ever.

As for the humanist moral code. I acknowledge that I got it wrong and that they do have a moral code.

en.wikipedia.org...

I think that some people who would call themselves 'humanist' aren't really. Just like some people who call themselves 'christian' aren't really christians either.

Still, there is that general 'I'm alright, f*** everyone else' attitude prevalent in in the west today. Even some churches have that attitude, which is not Christian at all.

You could say 'remember Live Aid', which did a lot of good for Africa. It also did a lot of good for certain pop-stars careers.

BTW, (from wiki) 'The term Christian means "belonging to Christ" and is derived from the Greek noun Χριστός Khristós which means "anointed one," which is itself a translation of the Hebrew word Moshiach (Hebrew: משיח, also written "Messiah"), (and in Arabic it is pronounced Maseeh مسيح). According to the New Testament, those who followed Jesus as his disciples were first called Christians by those who did not share their faith, in the city of Antioch. (Acts 11:26)'

en.wikipedia.org... - Bible reference by me

Atheist, btw (also from wiki) 'In English, the term atheism was adopted from the French athéisme in about 1587. The term atheist, in the sense of "one who denies or disbelieves", predates atheism in English, being first attested in about 1571; the Italian atheoi is recorded as early as 1568. Atheist in the sense of practical godlessness was first attested in 1577. The French word is derived from athée ("godless, atheist"), which in turn comes from the Greek atheos. The words deist and theist entered English after atheism, being first attested in 1621 and 1662, respectively, and followed by theism and deism in 1678 and 1682, respectively. Deism and theism changed meanings slightly around 1700, due to the influence of atheism. Deism was originally used as a synonym for today's theism, but came to denote a separate philosophical doctrine.[22]

Originally simply used as a slur for "godlessness",[23] atheism was first used to describe a self-avowed belief in late 18th-century Europe, specifically denoting disbelief in the monotheistic Judeo-Christian God.[24] In the 20th century, globalization contributed to the expansion of the term to refer to disbelief in all deities, though it remains common in Western society to describe atheism as simply "disbelief in God". Additionally, in recent decades there has increasingly been a push in certain philosophical circles to redefine atheism negatively, as "absence of belief in deities" rather than as a belief in its own right; this definition has become popular in atheist communities, though it has not attained mainstream usage.[25]'

en.wikipedia.org...

It's a broad term seemingly.

[edit on 20/2/07 by jimboman]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And in answer to HIFIGUY

On the site: members.tripod.com... it states:

'Blaspheming the Holy Spirit occurs when a person who knows better rejects the Word of God which the Holy Spirit is attempting to bring into the heart of that person. Hence this rejection or this refusal is telling the Holy Spirit that what he is trying to bring into the person's heart is not being believed, that it's not worth the effort or the time to even look into it or study it, that the very Word of God is not important, and that the beliefs and teachings of Jesus Christ are being rejected.'

Similarly, from www.kencollins.com...

'So in my opinion, the unforgivable sin, the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, consists in misusing one’s training and education in the Scriptures to publicly and knowingly slander the Holy Spirit by misleading people into thinking that He is Satan.'

So according to that definition these people on the vids aren't actually blaspheming against the Holy Spirit. If you've never known him, then you can't speak against him.

[edit on 20/2/07 by jimboman]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
From preacherstudy.com...

'In order for someone to go on sinning willfully after he has received the knowledge of the truth (i.e., been enlightened by the word of God, the Spirit's work) he must of necessity push out or ignore the evidence of the Spirit that condemns his actions.'

So again I say, these people on the vids aren't blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Only a Christian can do that when they wilfully go against what they have learned from God and the Bible.

Somebody who is not a Christian, and has never been forgiven, can't make it any worse for themselves.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

because islam can forgive that

So what was all that trouble about the cartoons a while back?

Blasphemy against God from non-christians shouldn't be a problem for Christians. So why does Islam react so much when non-muslims say or do things against Islam? Surely they have a right to say they don't agree with what Islam teaches without the fear of getting killed for it, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I found this on www.apologeticspress.org...

'In conclusion, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only unpardonable sin mentioned in the Bible, and it is mentioned in the context of the Pharisees accusing Jesus of being possessed by the Devil. The context indicates that it was a specific sin, and not a series of forgivable sins, or an attitude of persistent unbelief. After the resurrection, no inspired writer mentions the sin, and no warnings against it were recorded. There is no concrete evidence that it can be committed today. The fact that it is not mentioned after the resurrection, lends itself to the idea that it cannot still be committed. In fact, the indication from passages such as 1 John 1:7,9 is that “all unrighteousness” that a person could commit today can be forgiven by the blood of Jesus. As Howard said when concluding his remarks about the eternal sin: “In the same scripture our Lord gave full assurance that every sin and blasphemy against the ‘Son of man’ shall be forgiven him. Today the gospel of Christ is to be preached to every man on earth and any man on earth may be saved by obeying the gospel (Mark 16:15-16)”

So I guess you can't blaspheme the Holy Spirit and not be forgiven for it. All sin is forgiven by the death of Christ. You only have to ask him to forgive you.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
How is denying the holy spirit blasphemy?

Surely blasphemy should contain some cursing or something, all these people are saying is that the holy spirit doesn't exist, hardly blasphemious in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think the mere blatant disrespect and disregard for people of Faith and taking their faith and doing something at face value is indication of a depraved mind and childlike in nature

Maybe they could do some new Videos....

We know racism is wrong. Would these same people go and slander people of other ethnic origin in a video?

How about we add to the Video this...State your full name...
Address God..and tell him you know your doing this in full defiance of something they happened to read in the Bible.

Mans Arrogance....wow...

Is it really any wonder that we have the problems in the World today that we do?

See me in Hell...so she said? We might be making it..one piece at a time.

Peace

[edit on 20-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

So what was all that trouble about the cartoons a while back?

well, it's because they were horrible charicatures
and it wasn't that bad
the media overhyped the negative response

So why does Islam react so much when non-muslims say or do things against Islam? Surely they have a right to say they don't agree with what Islam teaches without the fear of getting killed for it, don't you think?

the don't
the media just made hte muslim reaction seem much bigger than it was

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
I think the mere blatant disrespect and disregard for people of Faith and taking their faith and doing something at face value is indication of a depraved mind and childlike in nature

um, this isn't disrespecting people of faith
it is disrespecting the faith

We know racism is wrong. Would these same people go and slander people of other ethnic origin in a video?

that's completely different
religion is a choice
ethnicitiy isn't.....

Mans Arrogance....wow...

as opposed to the arrogance of claiming to have the singular path to salvation?

Is it really any wonder that we have the problems in the World today that we do?

if you're going to blame anyone, don't blame the atheists of today
they don't seem to be doing anything but good for the world

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
The only benefit I gained from reading this thread, was seeing this video:

Bah! That's nothing special. It's just a cuter, less entertaining version of this:

Do these people think they're actually doing something original? At least in this video there's something interesting to talk about. Like, was Bon Scott better than Brian Johnson

[edit on 20-2-2007 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Thanks Dbates..I needed that Lol..

Lightened things up abit..reminded me of High School..

Lol

Peace

<< 1    3 >>

join