It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible that ETs invented religions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
maybe they thought it was a good way to guide our planet on morals and values and also to control the population as well. most religions like christianity always talk about angels and stuff coming down from the sky anyways. i saw a video talking about referances to aliens in the bible and some crazy paintings with flying saucers in the background ;d

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Great point red eye agnostic
Thought about that theory too. Could also be the reason for government non-disclosure of what I feel maybe the truth their here, but not necessarily on a Godly level.

Also coming to believe there's a whole bunch of EBE races, at least twelve.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If they exist, and if they have visited Earth, and if they were in any way responsible for our presence or our development on Earth, then I think that it is possible that they invented religions as we know them, even if there there are many types of religions.

But this is after acummulating 3 ifs, so I don't think it very likely.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ive also considered this.

I guess it all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If you believe that we may have been put on this planet by aliens then obviously religion was created by them.

I remember reading a few years ago about the secret of Fatima and despite all the BS and speculation you find on the internet the third one was never revealed. Its believed that the pope didnt reveal it, despite promising to do so, because it would turn the church upside down. Perhaps it had something to do with alien life?

I believe the finding of life would have serious consequences for the major religions of the world. Unless other alien life had the same type of Jesus, Mohammed, David type experiences there will be no logical reason to believe in it anymore.

The bottomline is if there are advanced alien civilizations theyve probably been watching us since we were cave men and have recorded our every major development. They would be able to explain all the stories in the bible.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by surf911
I believe the finding of life would have serious consequences for the major religions of the world. Unless other alien life had the same type of Jesus, Mohammed, David type experiences there will be no logical reason to believe in it anymore.

Even in that case the religions would just need to step up their "story".

The existance of god(s) would remain unchanged even if we learned that we were put on Earth by other beings, but those beings had to be put on their planet by someone, god or our alien's aliens, if you understand what I mean.

But this is just an atheist point of view.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Probably not invented but manipulated some of it. If we as a species, in a primitive process of understanding existence, created religion, the opportunity to manipulate this process, specially from a higher intelligence not from this earth, with technology that we cannot even begin to understand, is more than likely. An example. You know the virgin mary. Well what if Jesus was artificially ensiminated by this higher intelligence and was in accordance with this intelligence to make "miracles". Then people continued to follow the religion because God's power was proven.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Religion is the original and ultimate form of government, crowd control, subjugating individualism, and humans still use it for those purposes to this day.

One day about 250,000 years ago, a group of proto-humans were huddled in a cave when a particularly nasty storm blew up outside. The cave folk were, of course, frightened, just as they always were when lightning flashed or when the ground shook or when large predators growled in the darkness.

On this occasion, an Alpha Male named Oog, who was actually fairly advanced in years and who had been recently defending his territory against the younger males, began barking with authority at the thunderstorm, and...lo and behold, the storm abruptly subsided.

Now, this was the first time that the proto-humans had ever observed any sort of communication between themselves and the mysterious forces of nature. It then fell upon Oog to explain to his group the details of his new-found command of the weather. As it happened, the protein-gorged tumor in Oog's head allowed him to recognize an opportunity when he saw one, so he quickly and easily told them — in his gutteral, barking fashion — that he personally knew the thunder, lightning and rain, and spoke with those forces regularly.

Well, this was more than a lie, of course, it was the first religion. Oog's lie changed the entire heirarchy of the group: the younger males completely stopped challenging Oog for the Alpha Male position, as they feared his ability to speak with the Elements. Young females offered themselves to Oog for the same reason. Oog was waited upon hand-and-foot, was fed and protected by the group, and he lived to be a very old and influential proto-human.

Why, Oog could even order his group to go out and wage war against other proto-human groups, and Oog's people spread the story of his abilities to the conquered proto-humans far and wide. He had quite a following.

And that's the basics of every religion we have today. Most people are ignorant of Nature's grand mystery, but a small handful of them claim to be in direct communication with God (or gods) and so control the rest of humanity through "divine guidance"...

That's why I think it's so bizarre that there are people out there who demand separation of church and state, a separation of religion and government, when the two are one and the same. Both just voluntary means of crowd control. Pardon me, what was the topic?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I think the original Gods were higher beings. I think they may have tried to communicate with man - - and/or sent Prophet's at various times to earth to give humans guidelines.

Actually I believe Prophet's are still sent to earth.

But it is Man who made the religions. You have to seriously think - What is Religion?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I think the original Gods were higher beings. I think they may have tried to communicate with man - - and/or sent Prophet's at various times to earth to give humans guidelines.

But it is Man who made the religions. You have to seriously think - What is Religion?

but what is a "higher being" ? do you think that man in his old primitive thinking knew the difference between a chariot in the sky and an alien spacecraft. think about it

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I believe that religion was influenced by 'the creator', or the being of 'light' and 'love' that you experience when you die, but that most of it was created and manipulated by man, to control and create order, and a more powerful dominance heirarchy. I'm sure wolves would do it if they could.

People probably just started claiming they could talk to God when they discovered that people would believe them and revere them for a short while or a long while depending on how long they could keep the ruse going. There were probably a couple of truthful 'prophets' in there somewhere, but I'm betting we don't hear much from them in the holy books, because they probably didn't preach about sin and evil all the time.

Jesus may have been an advanced spirit that came to help us understand our purpose and 'God', similar to the Buddha, but his voice became mixed and controlled by and with the opinions and agendas of men, since the Bible was not written until many years after most of these people that gospels are named after died and the stories were mostly oral tradition beforehand. Also, there are many gospels that were written but didn't make it into the Bible, I'm sure you've heard of them. The elite picked what they liked the best, there is much truth that was probably lost because of this.

They warped it to fit what their society and mind could comprehend, what with the talk of slavery being justifiable, subjugation of women as cattle, strange rules that only become understandable if you take into context the timeframe, such as the sin of eating shelfish and divorcing your wife or husband. Condemnation of any who disagree with them. All for control.

Aliens could have easily had a hand in any of this, or even most of it. That is, if they are even coming here.

All religions could just be rantings of schizophrenics as well, but as things in life are usually not black and white, its probably a mix of everything you can think of.

Just my opinion(s)

[edit on 10-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

[edit on 10-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Religion is the original and ultimate form of government, crowd control, subjugating individualism, and humans still use it for those purposes to this day.

I have to agree with this statement (somewhat).

Although the rest of your story is (imo) way off the mark, except for the cave bit.

Here's how I see religion starting;

The very first indication of religion is shamanism and the evidence of it goes back 40 to 70 thousand years ago. Men and women would go into trance states, whether through illness or deliberate physical trauma like fasting, dancing, drumming or the ingestion of psychotropic plants. While in a trance, these early pioneers of religion would have visions and pass their revelations on to the rest of the group. Every now and then, the visions they had were found to be helpful to the rest. These soon came to be what we still understand as shaman and their purpose was to find out what life was all about.

It's well known that the first mystery which interested them was that of regeneration. Women got pregnant and because of that they were considered immensely important. That's still the case today, but back then they worshipped the female as a Goddess who represented fertility and regeneration. They weren't stupid and they knew that if women stopped giving birth all was lost and they would have disappeared off the face of the earth.

But then there was the earth itself. They also worshipped this planet as a life-producing Goddess. I think the human female and the earth were 'connected' in their minds as one and the same.

This is why they began exploring deep caves. They were thinking that by bringing offerings deep within the womb of the planet that they could help in the regeneration of the plants and animals they needed to survive.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that the shaman was the first to be held in high esteem by these early humans, producing the first heirarchy. It didn't matter whether it was a woman or a man who took up the task of vision quests (although perhaps it differed here and there), but for sure they were considered 'special' and protected. They were the first doctors who studied illnesses and remedies, the first to loook at the phases of the moon and decide hunting expeditions or when certain plants were available.

No doubt they were the first to record the passage of the seasons, when the fish spawned, the bears hibernated, the deer rutted...all of natures ways.

This is how the first religion started, but also how the beginnings of cohesive society began, which in turn was how civilization began.
````````````````````````
Edit to add that I don't think it was ET's from other worlds, but perhaps it was more entities from another dimension which these shaman met during their trances.

[edit on 10/2/07 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by red eye agnostic

Originally posted by Annee

but what is a "higher being" ? do you think that man in his old primitive thinking knew the difference between a chariot in the sky and an alien spacecraft. think about it

Actually - No I don't

And that is why I bellieve the ETs or "higher beings" were able to interact in some ways with early man.

But I think it is Man who interpreted/manipulated events into Religion. What is Religion?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
POP - - that sounds about right to me.

I just tend to make short posts.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Souls, thats a very interesting idea about the Immaculate Conception - I can't believe I never thought about it before! It raises some interesting related questions for me though (apologies if this maybe goes off-topic somewhat).
If we were created/modified and manipulated by aliens, and as Souls suggests, Jesus had been artificially inseminated, is it not possible that there was perhaps something in Mary's genetic make-up that made her able to accomodate an alien/human hybrid child? Jesus' "miracles" were perhaps due to alien abilities. What if all of the reported abductions/experiments/stealing of reproductive fluids that have occurred for years now are the aliens looking for the right mother for the "second coming", biologically compatible with another hybrid which would tie into their pre-arranged "apocalypse" scenario as prophesied throughout the ages?

Just a thought...

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by red eye agnostic
maybe they thought it was a good way to guide our planet on morals and values and also to control the population as well. most religions like christianity always talk about angels and stuff coming down from the sky anyways. i saw a video talking about referances to aliens in the bible and some crazy paintings with flying saucers in the background ;d

Aliens can't be so stupid, can't they?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
GOD JUST SENT A CHOSEN ANGEL ON A CHOSEN HUMAN
THIS MAN IS A MESSENGER
THAT IS ALL

top topics

join