It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It looks like a company named D-Wave is about show off a quantum computer. The company is claiming that they have build a a computer powered by a 16-qubit quantum processor/

www.dwavesys.com...
www.techworld.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If this is true, words can't describe how awsome it will be. Quantum computing will open up so many doors but are humans mentally and spiritually ready? This will also confirm parallel universes. I can't wait to hear how the tests turn out.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reminds me of john titor.May be he was true after all.
A question about this quantum pc.Does it is made up of silicon?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh, son of a... I read about this in the newspaper this morning and rushed here to make a post... you stole it!

If this computer works, it will be simply amazing. It will revolutionize computing. The only problem is that it probably costs a lot and is rather bulky due to the cooling unit required to keep the superconductors at low temperature. I don't know if silicon is involved in this technology, but the superconductor involved, according to my newspaper, is niobium. If silicon is not involved, that would be another amazing thing, since virtually all electronics to date use silicon chips. (except for a few that use things like germanium or gallium arsenide, but they are more costly and harder to make)

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This has good and bad sides. On the good side more research can be done. However this will also have a huge effect on cryptography.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is gonna be AWESOME! If this thing really ends up working, this will push our computing ahead by decades.

www.techworld.com...

Hopefully it doesnt unravel space and time, because that would be bad

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Intel's extreme advancments

www.intel.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I am awaiting news with baited breath...

If this is an actual working computer then there must be some major advancements in screening outside influence...

With 16 Q-bits this computer will be able to perform 64'000 operations simultaneously.

I realise this will only be a demonstrations but my questions would be how many cycles a second this baby will perform...

Although this is a far cry from the worlds number one super computer… the IBM BlueGene Linpack e-server can perform 280.6 teraflops a second using some 131072 processors…

However.. this is a demo of a computer with just 16 qbits….

Here is an image of the q-bits that will be used.

If you want to learn more about how this stuff works.. here is a white paper written by D-wave themselves.

Sign and Magnitude Tunable Coupler for Superconducting Flux Qubits

You can follow the progress live through D-waves Blog.

D-Wave Quantum Computer Demo Blog

Enjoy.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
nice one, Neon Haze. Thanks for the additional info. I cant wait to see what happens tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

This is just a really fast processor.....like the cell processor. Nothing amazing here, nothing to be spiritually or mentally ready for....no parallel universe anything.

All it does is transfer data faster...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1

This is just a really fast processor.....like the cell processor. Nothing amazing here, nothing to be spiritually or mentally ready for....no parallel universe anything.

All it does is transfer data faster...

Well it is amazing news, hope it turns out good, imagine the possiblites that it can create wow, but I dont get that spiritual and mental suff too lol. ??

[edit on 12-2-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hope it does not open portals into worlds that could threaten this one. You never know what's out there it's like SETI inviting the Borg from StarTrek to come visit us. Its only 50/50 change they will be nice we don't know if the universe is at war but we know Biblically believe it or that that there is one just beyond our realm.

It's great yes but will give it a thought I don't like the idea of gateways being open just a bit dubious by it. Could they build a Quantum Bomb? what would won of those do?

[edit on 12-2-2007 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I don't think I quite understand what is so important about this . . .

Perhaps someone could explain what's so amazing about this advancment?

And what is all this I hear about parellel universes and unravelling spacetime and portals? It's just a computer.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

And what is all this I hear about parellel universes and unravelling spacetime and portals? It's just a computer.

Yeah....I think people see the word 'quantum' and imagine all sorts of things. It's just a faster processor.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I know what I said sounds over the top but was trying to bring other elements in. Does not Quantum behaviour mean that you can send a signal for example faster than light speed, effect one atom in one part of the universe to the opposite side? No one is sure why so what are we messing with?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
THIS was the only thing I could find that explains quantum computers in a pretty easy to understand manner.

Great tool for the cyber terrorist or hacker- for- hire.

d1k

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies

The biggest baddest super computer, IBM's Bluegene takes years to compute some of its projects where as a quantum computer can do it in seconds........

Jesus H Christ.

I hope they demo it with Unreal Tournament or something lol

[edit on 12-2-2007 by d1k]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

And what is all this I hear about parallel universes and unravelling space-time and portals? It's just a computer.

Hey there,

I can explain in a nutshell.

Basically a standard processor works in binary.

That's 0's and 1's.

So the total power of a binary system is times by two every unit of processing power you add.

For a 2 bit system you can get 4 iterations in Boolean such as: -

However... a quantum computer works in super position, in other words a unit can be both 0 and 1 at the same time. This increases the total number of iterations a 2 Q(bit) system.

For a 2 qBit system you can get 12 iterations in Boolean such as: -

1+00
1+10
1+01
1+11
0+00
0+01
0+10
0+11

This is why quantum computers are a significant development. They vastly increase our processing power and will smash moore's law.

Where the parallel universe scenario comes from is in the explaining of how the hell something can be both on and off at the same time.

Nutshell....

A quantum computer uses the power of quantum superposition.

Which in layman's terms could be thought of as accessing the processing power of the exact same computer but in a different universe, parallel to our own.

In a 2 qBit system you would be accessing the power of machines in 8 other universes.

And if you think that’s strange then what about the idea that in fact you may get an answer from a quantum machine even before you run the programme??

Quantum computer solves problem, without running

Or what about running a programme then, turning the quantum computer off to get an answer faster...

Seth Lloyd A pioneer of quantum computing believes the universe is a quantum computer

Quantum computer works best switched off

Some would say… Including myself that the entire universe is in fact a quantum computer…

Quantum mechanic Seth Lloyd says we really are controlled by a computer.

This is indeed an exciting day.

And all of this amassing stuff and what does BBC news have on their tech page??

Teraflops chip points to future

The future has never looked brighter!!

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So the demonstration happened today according to the dwavesys website, but I can't find any other info on it anywhere on the net. Dwavesys says it was a success but I want to hear what the witness's have to say about it. Anyone here anything?

Vas

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's a bit like minority report in your computer does that mean you we could know the future? If so this is really too advanced we have not landed on mars yet, maybe no need they would send the pictures back in advance. I don't know if its like this but I could be wrong and I think maybe there should be limits on this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join