It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Excavation and Construction Project at Al Aqsa ---Why Now?--- W/Updates...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Uh oh, first you have the Iran nuke situation, mysteriously killed Iranian Nuke scientist, kidnapped Iranian diplomat and now Israel excavating in this controversial religious site.

Excavation near Al Aqsa angers Muslims, Arabs

The Fatah faction led by President Mahmoud Abbas said in a statement that any damage to the mosque would release Palestinian militant groups from a ceasefire with Israel in the Gaza Strip they declared last November. Hamas said “any assault” on the mosque “will lead to a termination of the limited ceasefire” with Israel and would spark “a volcano of anger”.

Israel’s Antiquities Authority said it was searching for artefacts at the base of the compound known to Muslims as Al Haram Al Sharif and to Jews as Temple Mount before construction of a pedestrian bridge to replace a ramp leading up to the complex.

This powderkeg's fuse has been lit, how much time do we have before the explosion occurs?

[edit on 2007/2/6 by JacKatMtn]

Mod Edit: title...author request

[edit on 2/8/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The Jewish Religion is older than the Islamic and Islam has taken over too many sites that are holy to both the Jews and Christians. I believe Israel has the right to excavate for archelogical reasons as long as they restore it to its original condition!

Muslims get fired up over the smallest things and if they aren't hating and killing Jews than they kill each other!

[edit on 2/6/07 by mel1962]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962
I believe Israel has the right to excavate for archelogical reasons as long as they restore it to its original condition!

The timing is what has me puzzled, with tension as thick as it is right now in the region, this just reminds me of someone trying to "start something" if you know what I mean.

It appears that the US is even trying to find out "why now"

U.S. State Department says it wants clarification of reported Israeli excavation

He said the department has requested clarification.

"As always, we urge all parties to exercise great care when deciding whether and how to engage in any activity near sensitive religious sites," McCormack said in a statement.

Once again, the timing seems shady to me....

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ok first off this is from last November ..

So the powder keg is lit huh.

did you not read that they where searching for Islamic / Christian / Jewish or anything at allll ... before they constructed a BRIDGE!!!

Why is constructing a bridge to make it easier for both Jews and Muslims to have better access to the facility a bad thing?

Jew mongoring?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ok first off this is from last November ..

did you not read that they where searching for Islamic / Christian / Jewish or anything at allll ... before they constructed a BRIDGE!!!

Why is constructing a bridge to make it easier for both Jews and Muslims to have better access to the facility a bad thing?

Jew mongoring?

Not at all and no this is happening right now, this is a holy site for both Jews and Muslims I am just questioning the timing of this project. It is only stirring up alot more tension in a region teetering on the edge.

Why add more fuel to the fire? here is an example of the flames this excavation is causing:

Don't generate more trouble op/ed article

Israel knows very well that playing with Al Aqsa's sanctity is always a flashpoint that invites an uprising not only in Palestine but throughout the world. Muslims can talk politics when the issue of conflict relates to land or trade benefits, but they cannot stand silent when matters concern their religion. The Islamic world will revolt unanimously against Israeli interests and whoever supports Israel if Al Aqsa or any other holy site is harmed.

Israeli excavation work near Al Aqsa mosque stirs anger

Palestinian Prime Minister Esmail Haniya of Hamas said before leaving for unity talks with Fatah in Makkah that Israel was out to cause "direct harm" to Al Aqsa.

"I appeal to all our Palestinian people to be united and to rise up together to protect Al Aqsa and the holy sites on the blessed land of Palestine," Haniya said.

Jordan's King Abdullah was quoted by state news agency Petra as saying: "What Israel is doing in its practices and attacks against our sacred Muslim sites in Jerusalem and Al Aqsa is a blatant violation that is not acceptable under any pretext."

Common sense says that this is not the time to dig this close to the mosque, bridge or no bridge.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Muslims have absolutely no right to have their own buildings upon the Temple Mount, the most sacred place on Earth to Judaism which is thousands of years older than the Islamic religion.

I have no idea why Israel hasn't demolished the mosques there to rebuild the Holy Temple a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Muslims have absolutely no right to have their own buildings upon the Temple Mount, the most sacred place on Earth to Judaism which is thousands of years older than the Islamic religion.

I have no idea why Israel hasn't demolished the mosques there to rebuild the Holy Temple a long time ago.

Here! Here! Well spoken! I don't get it either!

The muslims have been bullies when it comes to holy sites, especially Jewish and Christian! Was there an uproar when the Muslims took over the church in Bethlehem a few years ago? Had the Christians or Jews done that there would have been rioting in the streets!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Can anyone clarify if this is the site of the "great rebuilding" of the temple that is supposed to usher in the coming of the Messiah/Armageddon?

If so...well, that's just more food for thought. If not, then ignore me.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
They're not excavating at the site. THey're excavating a full 50 meteres away from the wall of the site.

As far as 'why now', why not? What reason is there to not do this basic work?

Can anyone clarify if this is the site of the "great rebuilding" of the temple that is supposed to usher in the coming of the Messiah/Armageddon?

Its the site of second jewish temple, and its where some say that a third temple will be built at the end of the world. ITs also the site where some say the Prophet Mohammed flew into heaven and met god and jesus.

djohnsto77
Muslims have absolutely no right to have their own buildings upon the Temple Mount

?
They had the land for a long time, its perfectly within their rights to build a temple on it, especially since its a site of an important event from the religion. In mohammed's time, infact, muslims, when praying, turned west to jerusalem.

They didn't demolish a temple sacred to the muslims because it'd be damned rude. The muslims didn't demolish the hagia sofia, nor did they demolish the church of the holy sepulchre. Why should the jews go around demolishing muslim temples?

Also, it'd serve no function. The old religion had one temple, where a class of preists performed rituals. There aren't any jewish preists anymore, and instead there are 'temples' in every community. There's no reason to rebuild the temple. Its only christians that are obsessed with the temple idea, really. Its a holy site for the jews, but there is no imperative to rebuild some building, especially given that they wouldn't be able to use it.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yes, this is the site of the, as dj and mel would have it, Third Temple. I'm struck by their complete disregard for Islamic claims to the site. If Israel thought it could demolish the mosque and rebuild the temple, I think they would have done it by now.

What it comes down to is a fundamental disagreement over which of Abraham's sons was anointed with the blessings and promises of the first covenant, Ishmael or Isaac. The Bible says it was Isaac, the Koran says it was Ishmael. Seed of promise, seed of bondage, I could go on forever. But I won't.

As a Christian, all I can say is I live on this side of the cross, and Jerusalem and the temple/mosque situation have little more than historical significance to me. For some reason, I have been awaiting news of activity at the site, as some sort of milestone, but I'm not sure the extent of this excavation merits the attention.

How much digging are they planning on doing, and where? The connection to the assassination and kidnapping in the Iran nuke situation, I think are tenuous, at best. But I like the approach. Keep thinking big and outside of the box. That is where the real patterns emerge.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The Muslims are worried that they are going to dig underneath the Al Aqsa mosque which has always been a problem and a worry to the muslims that it was being done purposefully in order to weaken the supports an to cause it to collapse. To them this is the 3rd most important religious icon. There have been plans by Jewish people to blow up the Dome of the Rock, have set fire to the Mosque as well as attempts to dig underneath the mosque when some Rabbi said the Ark of the Covenent was supposedly there. Their paranoia is justified.

As a Catholic I'd be pretty pissed off if someone started to dig up and around St. Patricks Cathedral without permission and not just because I'm Catholic but because it would be disrespectful and possibly hazardous to a historic site. To those of you who are making claims that they should just dig without worrying, well think about it, how would you like it if you wake up to find some idiot digging up your yard.

The King of Jordan has also voiced his opinion that the dig may damage the Arab-Israeli peace talks. As the OP of this thread has suggested, this is just not the right time to be stirring up the hornets nest. This very thing is what set off the 2nd intifada. It could possibly trigger a 3rd uprising.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   

What the funk are you talking about?

Your knowledge in Islam is pathetic.

Temple Mount

It is also the site of two major Muslim religious shrines, the Dome of the Rock (c. 690) and Al-Aqsa Mosque (c. 710). It is thus one of the most contested religious sites in the world

The Temple Mount is traditionally regarded by Muslims as the third most important Islamic holy site, after Mecca and Medina. The primary reason for its importance is the Muslim belief that in 621, Muhammad arrived there after a miraculous nocturnal journey aboard the winged steed Buraq, to take a brief tour of heaven with the Archangel Gabriel.

Simply Pathetic...

[edit on 7/2/07 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Obviously this "construction project" is causing quite a stir in the Middle East, Israel has arrested Arab Israeli head of the Islamic Movement in Israel, Sheikh Raed Salah who was picketing with others at the religious site.

Israel arrests Islamic Movement chief in Jerusalem

In additon, the Arab league has condemned the excavation

World wide condemnation of the Israeli aggression against Aqsa Mosque

In a statement issued Tuesday, the AL considered the Israeli acts as violation of all international resolutions on maintaining the heritage places and the Islamic and Christian holly places in the holy city of al-Qdus.

This situation is rapidly reaching the boiling point, and once again I have to ask......... WHY?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Jack,
yes the reagon is a boiling point, has always been a boiling point and probably always will be a boiling point. The excavation and construction around the temple mount might be a new twist but I don't see it as being that much different from everything else Israel has been doing.
Good or bad or precursor to something bigger, we will see what it will lead to.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That's absolutely ludicrous. Are you a follower of the rapture?

Sites such as Jerusalem should not belong to any nation as they are the heritage of humanity. They should be the common property of all and maintained by an international organization.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The Temple Mount area is continually a potential powderkeg ready to blow due to both the Jews and the Muslims claiming the area as a holy site. Honestly; I can't believe that the whole area has not exploded yet.

I have read many articles over the years describing excavation projects being conducted in this area. It seems like this type of activity can be fairly normal. Especially in the time period right before a current construction project would begin.

I do not see how this one particular situation would be more sensitive than others. Anything going on in that area, to me, is a potential fuse to be lit.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This excavation has been occurring for more than 5 years, not recently. When I went to Yebeshalaam (Jerusalem) a few years back, they had limited access to the Dome of the Rock for Muslims. I didn't even get a chance to get in. The people who blocked off the dome stated it was under "renovation."

A few blocks away were people handing out pamphlets stating that Al-Aqsa Mosque was actually the Dome of the Rock. Al-Aqsa Mosque has a Black dome, where the Dome of the Rock has a gold dome. They were trying to spread misinformation among the Muslims to get traffic diverted to the Al-Aqsa Mosque, so the "renovation" for the Dome could be completed.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Good or bad or precursor to something bigger, we will see what it will lead to.

This is what puzzles me, call me naive etc. etc. but if the leaders of all these conflicting countries, many of whom claim that they seek a peaceful world, act upon that so called desire, this
powerful religious site could be the example of cooperation to set an example of coexistance and tolerance.

Why not, have the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim leaders come together and develop, construct, etc this holy area in a tolerant way with "all who hold this place in reverence", cooperating and participating in making sure that all interests have a voice and ability to make this site a place where all interested followers can go and worship in a peaceful environment.

Call me an optimist, but in my view doing this could only set an example of good which if nurtured could lead to a more tolerant world.

Am I an optimist, am I naive? Let's just say I have eyes I can see, I have ears and I can hear, despite that I still have an endearing hope that good overcomes evil..............and NO I do not use religion as the basis of good and evil.....

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Some good thoughts Jack.
However I am somewhat cynical. I don't really ever see the religions stopping the quibbling. There will just always be one or two charismatic religious zealots that charm a group to go and start something. A dark view of things kind of the way I see it for now.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken, the three religions reaching accord and a one world religion centered in Jerusalem emerging is supposed to trigger the rapture and signal the midpont of the tribulations or something like that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join