It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I quit smoking today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Who would have thought that today would have turned out so non-stressing. I scarcely thought about a cigarette today. That “Smoke-less” aromatherapy jar I bought last summer at a fair exhibit really seems to work! smoke-less aromatherapy I bought that in August of 2006. I was really planning on quitting cigarettes back then, but my insubordinate side wouldn’t let me. All you do is remove the lid of this jar, and smell it, when you have a craving. I don’t know exactly what’s in this jar, but I know I smell mint, and eucalyptus (sp?) There is a big sponge in this jar, and it’s filled with these essential oils. (3.50 fl. Oz.) I am in no way associated with this product, and don’t want anyone to think I’m making a promotional thread. Just sharing, really, and this product is working for me.

I’m sharing this with you guys, because it really does thwart one of my cravings! When I bought it, my friend and I were cruising through the fair exhibits (my favorite thing to do) and I really wanted a cigarette bad at that particular moment. I told the sales lady, let me have a few sniffs off that “smoke-less” jar, and if it works, I’ll come back and buy it. Well, it worked, so I went back and bought it. I’ve been saving it for this very occasion when I would be ready to let this part of my life go.

Day one has past; I haven’t had a smoke all day. Wish me well; I hear day three is the worst? A few months back I told some people in another quit smoking thread that I was going to give it up when I was ready…. Out of the blue, Sunday night I told myself tomorrow morning was the day. I tore up any remaining smokes before I went to bed. Went outside, and emptied the ashtray, because we all know what desperate smokers will do with cigarette butts. People like “benevolent tyrant” inspired me. I do think I will miss the social side of smoking, but I’m hoping that will fade. I didn’t want to post this first thing this morning, just incase I failed. I thought it would add pressure and put a curse of failure on me.

edit* fixing link

[edit on 2/5/2007 by jensouth31]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Good luck Jensouth..

I'm rootin' for you.
You don't need those nasty ole things anyhoo.

Check my sig for a link..we did some butt kicking a little over a year ago now.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I've smoked for more than half of my life. I think I was 16 when I started and now I'm 38, so yeah it's time. Thanks for the link; when I have time tomorrow, I will read it at length. Now I'm curious to read who did finally quit in your thread
Thank goodness I'm an outside smoker only, and less than a pack a day, more like ½ a pack. I can't imagine smoking 2 to 3 packs a day like some of the people in your thread. They must be inside smokers, they have a harder time I'm sure.

Thanks for the support

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Hey congrats, I've stopped smoking for about 3 weeks now.

Hopefully we both have quit for good.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Good on ya Jen!

You too Lysergic!

Your health and finances will be better off.

All the best with it.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the support guys
And Lysergic, I'm really glad to hear that I'm not alone, even though you are a bit ahead of me.

Right now, I'm having a bit of a withdrawl episode! I never wake -up at 1 in the morning, and can't go back to sleep. I've been up for one hour, and 10 minutes. I sure hope I can go back to sleep! See you all later in the day. I hope this isn't a prelude of a horrible 2 day of being smoke free.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
First week for me of not smoking sucked ultra hardcore, but after that it was fine.

I actually have dreams where I smoke though, heh.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well…. I smoked a cigarette! What do I do now?? Did I ruin the whole day for myself?
I got to the point where I couldn’t think of anything but having a cigarette! I didn’t get my “smoke-less” essential oil out, I said screw that…I’m having a smoke. Hopefully I can make it the rest of the day without another. Maybe the 2nd day is the hardest? :bnghd:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Well…. I smoked a cigarette! What do I do now?? Did I ruin the whole day for myself?

Don't give up on yourself. Just acknowledge that you messed up and move on. Continue to tell yourself that you are a nonsmoker and get rid of whatever cigarettes you purchased today.

You can do it!

I know because I quit an 18 year cig addiction 2 years ago.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Don't beat yourself up.
Do what I did, go out and beat up someone else..LOL

Nothing but a minor, minor setback. You'll be ok.

(that nicotine rush was good tho, wasn't it?) damn nicotine..

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

(that nicotine rush was good tho, wasn't it?)

You know it was. I honestly think It was triggered by my niece stopping by for a visit. Socializing is a big trigger for me. I have to avoid that right now.

Okay, I'll try not to fret. I did have another one too. Kinglizard...I need to get rid of the smokes I bought today.... you are right. I still think I did pretty good for having bought a pack...smoking only 2. I know the day isn't over yet, but it's darn close. If I spend the rest of the night on the computer...I won't think about smoking because I don't smoke inside.

Thanks guys...I know what I need to do
Thanks for the encouragement

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Good luck and never quit quitting

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Jen try to remove yourself from the sickorettes. Take back control.

Sunday will be 2 full months for me and everyday I wake and tell myself why I am no longer a smoker and reinforce my efforts with those little thoughts.

JUST SAY NO TO THE
NICODEMON

Good luck to you. You WILL do it.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Nice work, Jensouth. Three cigarettes in two days isn't the end of the world. Here's a tip: keep that guilt with you, and hopefully it'll stop you from making the same mistake in the future!

I have been smoke free since New Years Eve. There were quite a few things i found that were effective enough to distract me from smoking until i was able to get over the hump. In the beginning, the most effective strategy against this most heinous adversary was doing situps or pushups every time i started to feel a craving was getting the best of me. Sometimes 50, sometimes 30, sometimes 10- whatever got my blood pumping. After those muscles start burning, hopefully you'll find you're not thinking much about smoking. This also helps you get in shape, which is great because you'll want to eat more!

I also chewed black licorice gum when i was driving in the car, because that was my favorite place to smoke. I measured distance by the number of cigarettes that could be smoked in transit. The black licorice taste took my mind off the cigarette long enough for the car ride to be over. Before i knew it, i was driving to and from work without even thinking of a cigarette.

There were other things i did to help distract me when it counted most, but i dont want to turn this into too much of a novel. So enjoy these!

[edit on 2/6/2007 by The Cyfre]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Good job!
Hope it works for you.
Good luck!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Goodluck Jen I am rooting for you. I smoked since I was 12 and I am now 44.

I quit 17 months ago and have gained some weight but I feel better. You will do it!

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Good Luck! A real wise move. I used to smoke up to three packs of cigarette a day. It was hard. The withdrawal symptoms are real. But I managed to quit.

Since year 2000 up to now, I did not smoke any cigarettes and I am so happy about it.

I believe you can do it.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Your doing good!

\dont give up just cause you have fall backs, just get up and try again,

i always tried to keep this in mind,

take it Minute by minute..

Get your self some gum! thats how i gave up,

i just swapped a ciggy for gum then chewed my heart out for 10 mins till the cravings passed,

i also kept ciggys in the house i found not having them there made me want them more lol,

challange yourself, i tryed to turn my thinking around

like if i had not smoked for 4/5 days i would be like if i smoke now then i have just gone through 5 days of hell for nothing lol

so i kept going,

1 year and 3 months now,

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think I’m going to get fat if I don’t watch it! Sure it’s easy to say…eat the baby carrots Jen, when what I really want to do is go to the store and buy 100 bags of candy RUNTS!!! I would eat them in this order: banana runts, then when they are gone eat all the orange runts, then the pink heart ones, then the red ones, then the blue ones…. I’d throw all the green ones away though…they are disgusting [lime]

I could end up fat, and with dentures. How long does this eating last???? Good grief!

Maybe I need the patch? What do you think?? Honestly, tell me, please....What would the patch do for me...... I never used one.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31

Honestly, tell me, please....What would the patch do for me...... I never used one.

I don't know about you, but I'd probably roll it and smoke that too. I have tried to quit smoking a hundred times.

Never lasts more than a week.

But I have resolved to do it at some point this year, for good.

Well good luck from this Butt Head.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join