It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

0.50 calibre's power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure where i heard this, but is it true that a 0.50 calibre bullet has enough force to tear your arm off if it misses by a couple of inches?
I'm not sure if it is different for pistol and sniper bullets, so you know. If it can rip through an engine, would it rip off your arm?

oh and please dont go thats a load of turd and just leave it at that. Could you at least prove it wrong, or right?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
.50 BMG (that is 12,7x99mm) or 12,7x108mm weapon would do that..

Actually even seemingly weak 5,45x39mm (current Russian/CIS standard round..) does this quite usually..

As when they hit their target they 'tip over' and start roll etc..

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Heres a link for you

www.vpc.org...

The destructive power of a sniper rifle firing 50 caliber rounds is difficult to overstate. John L. Plaster, author of The Ultimate Sniper�a military and police training manual� offers the following description of 50 caliber performance: "Here's a bullet that even at 1� miles crashes into a target with more energy than Dirty Harry's famous .44 Magnum at point-blank."

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Over 11,000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. It will not only rip your arm off but kill you by brain hemmorage from the impact increasing blood pressure (even in the arm).

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   
i heard from my friend in the military(marines)...

that the Berrart(spelling) M whatever...(the anti-veichle)

if that .50 bullet flys within 3 feet of you...

it can cause some damage...

and a 2 feet it can even kill you!

but that sniper is NOT built for killing people it is to destroy veichles...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
How is the damaging energy transfered to the body? At two feet? Rip a limb off from a few inches? Funny, I was never taught that.

Jackal, did you notice how that site is very biased against citizens owning firearms? Did you notice how it mixed facts about apples with facts about oranges?
Exactly why is it that anyone would actually believe that only the government should be armed and the citizen not have the ability to have access to weapons that could gain any resemblance to equal footing?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
How is the damaging energy transfered to the body? At two feet? Rip a limb off from a few inches? Funny, I was never taught that.

it just has VERY high volacity...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
M82a1m Is a semi automatic anti materiel rifle which fires all versions of the .50 cal ammunition.
Its primary function is to destroy equipment and light vehicles at long ranges. Not a good choice for multiple human targets due to the enmorus recoil causing loss of scoped target . (gun jumps about 2 to 3 feet out of target range after fired)

Now the ideal (not the best ) Sniper rifle for multiple targets is the M-24 modified remington 700 firing a 7.62mm round . draw back is the 5 round bolt action which must be singly loaded (no clip)

hope this helps

to answer your question yes it could rip off your arm from about 3-5 feet away depending on the ammo used . (exploading round )
AlBeMet

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by AlBeMet]

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:00 AM
link   
All of the answers in the affirmative here are pure bull#.

If the projectile does not IMPACT YOU there is no damage. A small little .50 cal bullet can NOT produce enough atmospheric friction to damage you without impact PERIOD.

Having owned an Israeli Arms Desert Eagle .50cal Pistol I can assure you that if it HITS you it will more than likely KILL you regardless of the actual point of impact on the body.

PEACE...
m...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
M82a1m Is a semi automatic anti materiel rifle which fires all versions of the .50 cal ammunition.
Its primary function is to destroy equipment and light vehicles at long ranges. Not a good choice for multiple human targets due to the enmorus recoil causing loss of scoped target . (gun jumps about 2 to 3 feet out of target range after fired)

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by AlBeMet]

i said that it is NOT good for personal shooting...

its light armour and veichale...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
All of the answers in the affirmative here are pure bull#.

If the projectile does not IMPACT YOU there is no damage. A small little .50 cal bullet can NOT produce enough atmospheric friction to damage you without impact PERIOD.

Having owned an Israeli Arms Desert Eagle .50cal Pistol I can assure you that if it HITS you it will more than likely KILL you regardless of the actual point of impact on the body.

PEACE...
m...

have you ever shot a explosive round out of your desert eagle ?? I would guess no !! also you cannot compare a sniper round to a hand gun round for there powder grain is muth different . actually the M82 round is prob. as big as your desert eagle (shell and all that is )

AlBeMet

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Springer
And to be more specific with a explosive round if you are standing with in the kill window 3-5 feet of said target it can take your arm off head or anything that is in the Kill zone.
No B.S.

AlBeMet

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   
So it has to be an explosive round to do this then?

or can a normal 0.50 bullet do it but it has to be very close?

or is it just not possible from what some of you are saying?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus
Q; So it has to be an explosive round to do this then?
A: Yes

Q
r can a normal 0.50 bullet do it but it has to be very close?
A: No

AlBeMet

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:45 AM
link   
23mm Rapid fire cannon (pressure from the muzzle 'blast') can damage object and kill/injure personel 50 away.. (if in front of the weapon when fired..)

Examble:

Simulated firing againt jeep 50m away, cannon firing blanks can break the windows of that jeep. If directed direcly at it..
(any vehicle..)

I think that same goes for 12,7x99 BMG and 12,7x108.. Only at lesser range.

These make 'air move' at great speed.. and you know what happens if bubbles of air get under your skin and into 'your' blood..

It injures you or kills.

*edit*

But ist the muzzle blasts that can cause this.. not the shock wave from the bullet/grenade..

[Edited on 17-12-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Jackal, did you notice how that site is very biased against citizens owning firearms? Did you notice how it mixed facts about apples with facts about oranges?
Exactly why is it that anyone would actually believe that only the government should be armed and the citizen not have the ability to have access to weapons that could gain any resemblance to equal footing?

No I did not notice that. I beleive very much in a citizens right to bare arms because I would be one of the first to lose my weapons.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Obviously an explosive round would do it because something IMPACTS your body. In the case of an explosive round it is a fragment of the original bullet HITTING your body after it seperates.

The question on the thread is can a .050cal bullet hurt you without hitting you. No it cannot.

Fulcrum's example of a muzzleblast is irrelevent as well since that is a totally different situation than what was asked. Anyone foolish enough to stand within a few inches of the side of the muzzle of a .50cal barrel pretty much gets what he deserves!

PEACE...
m...

P.S. I have a Remington model 700 bolt action 30-06 and I agree with you it is the most accurate weapon I have ever fired.

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by Springer]

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah, 0.50cal BMG is more powerful because its HMG round. Its first use was american fighters MG's in WWII. They were MUCH more powerful than german or british MG's. .50cal MG is something between machinegun and cannon

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamS
Yeah, 0.50cal BMG is more powerful because its HMG round. Its first use was american fighters MG's in WWII. They were MUCH more powerful than german or british MG's. .50cal MG is something between machinegun and cannon

Just a note:

Britts used also .50cal MGs, and Germans had 13mm and 15mm HMGs, later being really a 'mini cannon'..

.50 is 12,7mm

*edit'

also .50 BMG (12,7x99mm) is basicly ww1 German at-rifle round.

[Edited on 17-12-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The 12.7mm .50cal round can do extensive damage without have to hit you. I was in the USMC and once while firing one several coyotes wandered onto the range (about 800m out). Our Lt decided this would be an excelent chance to see what they will do ( Yes I imagine he was aware that shooting wildlife on Camp Pendleton is a no no) We were astonished that a 3 round burst killed the whole pack (6-8). We finally went down range to see what happened. Several of them has "odd" ripping wounds. Apparently if the round passes within several inches the shock wave created by straving at supersonic speeds tears the flesh away from the bone. And comparing a .50cal desert eagle to a 12.7mm m2hb is like comparing a pea shooter to a blunderbus

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join