It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US IS NOT A GREAT COUNTRY

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2003 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
Am I the only one that gave up reading the pigeon English of the original post?

No, I gave up about half way through.

VzH

posted on May, 3 2003 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Alright, so many empires have fallen, and you predict the United States will fall soon. So why is it so wrong that we look out for our best interests? We, just like everyone else have our own interests in mind. One of our most basic instincts is survival. Right now, the United States is trying to survive, and the only way to do that is to do what is in OUR best interest

Imagine what China would be like in the year 2030 and what threats this might pose to American interests globally.

Some interesting scenarios emerged. Today, China has about 1.2 billion people and a GDP of US$1 trillion growing at an annual rate of 7-8 percent. By 2030, its population will be 1.5 billion, its GDP in the $6 trillion-$7 trillion range (comparable to that of the US or the EU in the mid-1990s), and it will be able to avail itself of the most advanced technologies.

Now imagine that this economic giant has intimidated Taiwan into effective submission, persuaded Korea and Japan to close the US bases on their territories, and made a deal with India to divide Asia into spheres of Chinese and Indian influence at America's expense. What sort of China would that be?

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Ahh, free mason made some very interesting points not mentioned in history.

Europeans DID interfere in the civil war, tho, because of the Russians, not as directly as they would have liked to. European industrialists funded the north, where they could make more money off the rise of industry there. In the south, European aristocrats had an interest in keeping slavery alive and well, because it meant a continued flow of cheap cotton and tobbacco. Yes, EUROPE< this bastion of human compasion and benevolence today anttempted to twart the unions attepts to end slavery and pick apart the colonies for thier OWN interests. So its no wonder America has turned imperialist today: LOOK AT WHO TAUGHT US!!!!!!!

The indians were as guilty of thier own defeat as we were. To this day many indian tribes still hold gridges against one another for crimes and stuff committed in the past. Here in Washington, the Yakima and Muckelshoot have little to do with one another because the Yakima until bout 100 years ago crossed the mountains, raided the Muckelshoot, raped the women and took captives. The Indians were too busy killing each other to unite against the great white threat.

So we used the nuke first. Your point? The Germans were trying to develop it too, it was a race against one another. They would have shared it with the japanese, who would have in turn used it on us. It was a descision: drop a couple bombs on Japan to prevent a greater death toll. And i dont hear the mention of Dresden much, in which British planes slow cooked 400,000 innocent people to death, nor the destruction of berlin by the Russians invading. The nukes dropped, only 100,000 people died. The death toll in Europe will never be known: estimated at 60 million, but well never be sure.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The stuff they don't teach you in history class.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   

VzH

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Patriot Act , which was rushed through Congress in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks, grants the government unprecedented powers to spy on Americans and override Constitutional protections (Fourth Amendment) against arbitrary searches and seizures.

This provision, which applies to US citizens and no citizens, open the way for authorities to target individuals when there is no evidence to even suggest they have ties to terrorist groups! They need only indicate suspicion of involvement in a crime.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Yeah go Lexus

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!! You said it!!!!!!!! The wave of the future is ASIA. The next super power will spring from there. More than likely, China, but a re armed Japan could threaten China as well. But Asia has resources and untapped potential that could explode.

And of all groups of nations on earth, they deserve it the most when we pass the torch of superpower and fade into oblivion. they have worked dilligently and faithfully, have remained loyal to thier own, and have been humble, sitting by quitly while the west continues on its petty whining and charades. ultimately, just as the US was the last one standing at the end of world war 2, asia might be the only one left after the west has sold its soul.

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wouldn't go that far... But the whole idea that the US is the greatest country in teh world is arrogant to the point of being offensive. You can love and be proud of your country without that sort of trumphalism and is it really neccessary to look down the nose of (and piss on) every other nation?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I will admit that i should research the facts before i voice my opinion.
But i just don't have the time right now. Maybe in the future i will so i don't make a complete fool of myself at the moment.

But, i saw your title and i just had to read.
Some of the things you have suggested, sure, i can understand that and your being confused. But i think that unless you have been in congress and knew what the meetings behind those attacks and wars and all of the troubles were, and what the US really had in mind, you should be careful about what you say. I'm not saying I disagree with some of your stuff...I just know that the government doesn't tell us everything that goes on, a lot of the stuff in wars and political dissagreements between countries happens behind closed and heavily locked doors.

This countries government is questionable in some aspects,yes, but i just feel that you saying our country "is not a great country" as your title states is going a bit to far for some misunderstanding on your part or a few stupid mistakes on the governments part. We do live in a great country, with just a couple of idiots in the big chairs.

Now just know i have voiced just an opinion, i have not fully researched what you have explained in your post, but i should and will eventually research so i can be proven wrong or right and to have a better understanding where you're coming from.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The USA isn't "Perfect"

Some might not even think it is "Great"

However, it is the Greatest there is.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Watch the John Pilger documentary War on Democracy. It is a damning insight into U.S. activities in South America. Although Pilger is often attacking U.S foriegn Policy and activity in many of his other Doco's it is impossible to wave this off as another anti-U.S. beat up. www.johnpilger.com check it out.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lexus Panther

Please ban this person. That rant was outrageous.

To the OP 89 in your name the year you were born? it cool we were all young , but I think the common theme here is ALL countries have done bad things, but name a country that has done so many things right is so little time.

Your right some bad stuff went down in the past , everywhere. Where the Egyptians a great culture, Look at the slavery and oppression in that culture how about the Japanese.. Look up the Rape of Na King (sp)

Point being the older you get the more knowledge you gain, and you will hopefully see one day How great this country is. In fact so great you have the freedom to criticize and discuss it openly/

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join