It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theoretical question on F-22's likely scenarios

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I’ve been reading a lot about the F-22 and its capabilities, and I came up with a theoretical question.

If the F-22 seeks active combat, what aircraft will it most likely be going against? Basically, what is the most common fighter on the market of countries on our “bad” list that might seek a dogfight?

Do you think we basically built the F-22 to compete with Europe’s latest offerings?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
MiG-23, MiG-29, Su-27, and Su-30 variants I would say.

The F-22 can challenge any european fighter, but I seriously doubt we will se an F-22 going up against a eurofighter or rafale any time soon. Were simply not enemies of any of those countries.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
From what i understand, like the above poster mentioned, the Su-30 is its most likely competition.
A bit off topic here but Ive also read that this may be the last "manned' fighter designed and devoloped. The next break through, which is probably already under development, could possibly be an unmanned fighter (UAV) where the "pilot" is actually setting in a comfortable gaming chair thousands of miles away with a red bull and hot pockets on his desk lmao.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Hmm.. active combat..

Lets see, well the whole point being if it is used for stealthy interdiction missions then it shouldn't see much active combat!

That aside, there are a range of fighters which it may have the opportunity of encountering and engaging depending on the theatres.

Pacific Theatre:

Russia:
There area a lot of MiG 31s on the eastern coast of Russia and that looks like a potential flashpoint if things go sour. I don't forsee much F-22 action in Europe though.

N Korea:
Again N Korean MiG-29s area potential target as well.

China:
Then we have Chinese J-8IIs, Su-30MKKs and perhaps the J-10s. Maybe J-11s too.

I don't see the F-22 being used in any Middle-east conflict. Maybe some deep interdiction missions against Iran?
Then we'd have Iranian F-14s, MiG-29s etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I guess the mig31 is the biggest threat to the F22.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
From what i understand, like the above poster mentioned, the Su-30 is its most likely competition.
A bit off topic here but Ive also read that this may be the last "manned' fighter designed and devoloped. The next break through, which is probably already under development, could possibly be an unmanned fighter (UAV) where the "pilot" is actually setting in a comfortable gaming chair thousands of miles away with a red bull and hot pockets on his desk lmao.

Well, the F-35 being a manned fighter, I think we can throw out the assumption that the F-22 will be the last manned fighter.

There will always be manned fighters, a computer simply will not be able to replace the pilot. UCAVs will most likely take on bombing missions than Air-to-Air missions.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I really wonder what the 6th generation of fighters will look like. UCAVs might actually be the direction the worlds air forces are going.

Unmanned aircraft maybe, but I dont see an autonomous aircraft ever flying combat missions.

top topics

join