It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aquatic virus threatens Great Lakes fishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Fast spreading viral hemorrhagic septicema or VHS was detected in Lake Huron. It seems VHS is not a threat to humans but seems to be deadly to fish.
The truth about how serious this is going to be is not completely known at the moment as it will largely depend on how well the fish develop an immunity to it.

The rest of the story can be found here and here.

I wonder how much of a threat this could be to conecting bodies of water including rivers/streams and waters conecting to such rivers/streams.
If this spreads that easily and does run down the rivers it could be very devistating to many fish including some that are low in numbers or are already endangered.

Raist

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I didn't know fish (or anything for that matter) could become immune to something very quickly. I'm a vegeterian so this pretty much doesn't affect me, thouhg
Wait...I do drink water thouhg
oops.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
interesting find Raist

I wonder if an aquatic virus can be attributed to some of the other strange sealife stories we have ongoing.

what if the fishes can't develop immunity or the virus mutates...it could be bad for the seafood industry and fresh water species.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Not sure WW but this is realy begining to be a strang year with all the bird deaths and water life deathes.
Now there is this story that could become something very bad, on the same note the fish could become immune to this virus and very little happens.

Does any one know how well a fishes immune system works how fast that sort of thing?

Raist

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Not to change the subject but I used to love to trout fish and eat what I caught.Nowdays I don't even buy a licsense cause it is'nt healthy to eat more than 2 trout a month due to the mercury content in the water .BTW Ilive in central Pa.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowpruitt
Not to change the subject but I used to love to trout fish and eat what I caught.Nowdays I don't even buy a licsense cause it is'nt healthy to eat more than 2 trout a month due to the mercury content in the water .BTW Ilive in central Pa.

Yeah I love eating fish and some times I probably eat to much with in a week but normaly try to only it it one or two times a week when I do.
I remember hearing years ago pregnant women should not eat fish not sure if they still recomend that though.

This virus will supposedly not harm humans though they say it is normaly deadly to fish. Could this virus eventualy cross species like the flu though? I'm not sure on viruses as far as how they spread from cross over and mutate like that though.

Strange though we are hearing alot about water life and birds dying but I've not heard any thing about amphibians though aren't they normaly the first to show signs of disease and all?

Raist

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Good find.

This might be relevant:

Zoonosis:

Disease of animals that is transmissible to humans; some subdivide the concept into zooanthroponosis, infections humans can acquire from animals and invertebrates, and anthropozoonosis, a disease of humans transmissible to other animals.

Many diseases remain undiagnosed, particularly if they are low grade and chronic formes fruste.

I doubt authorities know enough to say definitively that this disease cannot infect humans - nor do I think they would tell us the truth if they did know.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Good find.

This might be relevant:

Zoonosis:

Disease of animals that is transmissible to humans; some subdivide the concept into zooanthroponosis, infections humans can acquire from animals and invertebrates, and anthropozoonosis, a disease of humans transmissible to other animals.

Many diseases remain undiagnosed, particularly if they are low grade and chronic formes fruste.

I doubt authorities know enough to say definitively that this disease cannot infect humans - nor do I think they would tell us the truth if they did know.

Wow sofi thats interesting and freaky at the same time.

Your probably right about them not telling us if they knew or them not knowing themselves.

It seems that alot of the smaller life forms are becoming diseased lately and this is only month one of 07'

Not to get off track here but........
For some reason a few verses in Revelations keep coming to mind.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join