It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you think Atlantis is or was?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Plato tells us more specific information in his text ''Timaios & Kritias'' there is a missing part! Like someone cut the information

well that proves you haven't read it doesn't it

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

Plato tells us more specific information in his text ''Timaios & Kritias'' there is a missing part! Like someone cut the information

well that proves you haven't read it doesn't it

Wrong statement Marduk, i have read it!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

its not an it
its a them

and there is no missing information thats been censored

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

the black sea flood theory has been debunked

And pray tell me where can I find that it has been debunked?

General consensus is now that no Black Sea Flood occurred, certainly not the dramatic event originally proposed by Pittman and Ryan. However, you can read summaries of a good number of papers on the subject here:

gsa.confex.com...

As for all those suggesting Antarctica: pray tell me why anyone would build a bronze age civilisation in a frozen hell? During the last ice age Antarctica was colder with much more extensive ice cover than it has today. Even the penquins retreated north.

Like the rest of the world it did start warming up from around 15,000 years ago, with some small readvances in glaciers since about 6,000 years ago (now in retreat once more due to global warming
)

Edit: as to where I think Atlantis was - I think it was in lots of places. Plato invented it, but like most people he based his invention on real events and places and other stories he'd heard over the years, in order that his audience could relate to the place and believe in it.

But the Atlantis as described specifically by Plato did not exist in reality any more than Tolkien's Middle-Earth (which was itself based on many different European myths and legends) existed.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

its not an it
its a them

and there is no missing information thats been censored

Critias/ Plato

Critias, one of Plato's late dialogues, contains the story of the mighty island kingdom Atlantis and its attempt to conquer Athens, which failed due to the ordered society of the Athenians. Critias is the second of a projected trilogy of dialogues, preceded by Timaeus and followed by Hermocrates,[1] though the latter was never written and Critias was left incomplete. Because of their resemblance (e.g. in terms of persons appearing), modern classicists occasionally combine both Timaeus and Critias as Timaeus-Critias.[2]

though the latter was never written and Critias was left incomplete.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wondering if we will ever know?

Will we die and find out in heaven that the big guy is getting a big giggle over us?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have only skimmed this thread so forgive me if it's already been said.

Honestly, I think the theory of Atlantis is nothing more than a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just think of the sphinx. It was less than a couple thousand years and peolpe completely forgot that there was something buried underneath.

Have you ever seriously studied a patch of grass breaking through the concrete?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately for advocates of the Piri Map, Antarctica does not sprout out of Uraguay, and geological and fossils found on Antarctica maintain the age of Antarctica and the period where it reaches its current position. surely such an exacting map would have noted that South America and Antarctica. are NOT connected. Also a map of antarctica that is that close to South America would have, without a doubt, made note of the South Shetland Islands, Palmer Land penninsula, and the Weddel Sea, all of which are between South America and Queen Maud Land.

My (granted, non-professional) opinion is that either this map shows a "penciling-in", or it is simply an attempt to fit the Argentina region onto the page. The latter isn't unplausable - charts and annotations are math, after all, and if the directions are accurate, then the drawing of where your headed doesn't need to be accurate. There's also what appears to be the Falkland Islands represented on the map, in a position that would seem to support this latter idea.

By the way, here's a far beter copy of the map than the one at your source: www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr...

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think atlantis was an allegory about war and technology.

A warning.

Fiction

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
One must admit, Atlantis was no where, UNLESS you claim it was somewhere in England, America or in somewhere colonised by English men, then there is Atlantis. The rest are bull# and pseudo-science.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I don't think Atlantis exists. If it does, however, it has to be somewhere fairly remote, because otherwise evidence of its existence would have been detected. Someplace like Antarctica, as others have suggested. I once saw an interesting case presented for Atlantis being around Southeast Asia, in the Indonesian region.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
... I once saw an interesting case presented for Atlantis being around Southeast Asia, in the Indonesian region.

that could be interesting, Atlantis was in the largest moeslems country in the world. Horraaaaaayyyyyyy, I am so excited.

Let's invite our guess speaker from england, a moderate english gentleman, Sir Marduk, a wanna be archeolog from Oxford Cambridge London. To englighten us on Atlantis was actually on Indonesia, largest moeslems country in the world.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
it lost a war with some polytheists and then got sunk by a god who wears a beard and has sandals who sent a flood
yeah sounds like a moslem country to me

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CinLung

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
... I once saw an interesting case presented for Atlantis being around Southeast Asia, in the Indonesian region.

that could be interesting, Atlantis was in the largest moeslems country in the world. Horraaaaaayyyyyyy, I am so excited.

Actually, the suggestion is that the origin of the story that later evolved into the Atlantis legend, came from the flooding of the Sunda Shelf at the end of the last ice age.

Some flood legends may well originate from this event. It seems unlikely that it was the inspiration for Plato though.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CinLung

Let's invite our guess speaker from england, a moderate english gentleman, Sir Marduk, a wanna be archeolog from Oxford Cambridge London. To englighten us on Atlantis was actually on Indonesia, largest moeslems country in the world.

WTF??? Islam wasn't around until a thousand years after Plato (writing c.360BC), who himself was writing about a place he said was thousands of years before his time (c.9400BC). Islam didn't arrive in Indonesia until sometime after 1000AD, and wasn't a national/state religion in the various kingdoms until some time after 1300 at best estimate.

en.wikipedia.org...

In what way is the Atlantis myth even remotely related to Islam???
Any more than Stonehenge is related to the C of E?

Cheers.

Rob.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by d60944]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Some flood legends may well originate from this event. It seems unlikely that it was the inspiration for Plato though

well yeah
especially seeing as the sunda shelf sunk before the end of the ice age

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
What's a thousand years here or there between myth makers

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
more than a thousand years

15000bp

took 4000 years to get to
11,000 bp

so note Platos words

Plato "Timaeus"
But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.

the sunda shelf wasn't an island
it didn't sink in a day and a night
and it wasn't inhabited by warlike men
didn't sink because of earthquakes
but apart from that yeah
could be Atlantis

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Dragonlike thinks and come up with the best story, ever his lips said:

Dragonlike: It was a time long ago, before my age, before even i was born... though i remember as it was yesterday... I shall tell you about an once power civilization that lost everything becouse of its greed for power...
Millions years ago there was a continent known to the locals as Atlandis... they had for companions dinosaurs to help them as today we have mules and tractors... Dinos were means of transport as well and there were the Rexes. They used them for fighting in arenas and the great matadors were of great privilenge...
Suddenly, their astronomers saw it! A meteor had cross Jupiter and was heading straight ahead to their continent... The recent wars of Atlandean against Atheneans had devastate their fleets and their greed to annihiliate them deep to the civilization core made them vulnerable. Their transportation vessels were not enough to fly them to safety... so they took a very crucial enterprise... They generated a shield around their continent from their advanced technology and sunk it into the earth... forever untill the horns of civilization blows from the surface...
...until the rise of Atlandis...

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Socrates said
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join