It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Calling For Universal Health Care Within 6 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Obama, Clinton, and McCain are all jumping on board with the idea that by the end of the first upcoming term, every American should have health insurance. It is a bold stance, and an enormous undertaking. It will be interesting to see if the American public accepts this with open arms or if they will have the door slammed in their face.

www.cnn.com
Every American should have health care coverage within six years, Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said Thursday as he set an ambitious goal soon after jumping into the 2008 presidential race.

"The time has come for universal health care in America," Obama said at a conference of Families USA, a health care advocacy group.

"I am absolutely determined that by the end of the first term of the next president, we should have universal health care in this country," the Illinois senator said.

Obama was previewing what is shaping up to be a theme of the 2008 Democratic primary. His chief rivals, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and John Edwards, also are strong proponents of universal health care and have promised to offer their plans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As a Canadian, it seems like perfect logic. I have health insurance and I make use of it. This "safety net" we Canadians have is one that can leave us in comfort, especially in times of need. But it is a different issue with the American public. While Canadians would do battle before they gave up their health insurance, it has seemed in the past that, Americans were willing to do battle if they were forced to pay taxes for a health care system.

The thought of individuals being turned away from a hospital when they are in need of care has me cringing. This alone would have me punching the ballot of any man or woman who promised health insurance. But the country is filled with people who have various opinions.

This stance is something that will go either way. I don't see too many fence sitters on this one.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As an American universal healthcare doesn't make much sense for me, especially since we have about 100 million transient latinos in our country every year. If the dems want to go about trying to give American's Universal Healthcare they should start with South America and work up.
Do you know how many Mexicans(illegals, not Mexican-Americans, there is a difference) already get free healthcare? ? ? ?

The dems won't do anything about the boarders so maybe they should instead promise to give the world universal health care.

If I was a politician I would promise World Peace in 6 years. Because world peace trumps all and 6 years is after the election so there is no way it would come back to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I can see already the big mega mulitibillion dollar insurance business lobbying day in and day out buying politicians to stop this take over their profits.

That doesn't bother me a bit.

I will love to sit back and see corporate American fight Obama and Hillary.

They are not good for business.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Obama and Hillary are the best thing for Corporate American since George Bush. If you think either will stand up to Corporate America you are sorely mistaken. They have been bought just like all the other Presidential candidates. They might not represent the same corporations as Bush specifically Haliburton however the liberals have their own corporarte interests and sponsors.

As proof of the link between the liberals and Corporate America why won't any of the dems specifically Hillary and Obama do anything to prevent illegal immigration. For 2 main reasons; 1 so they don't lose the illegal voting block they so depend on to win in '08 and 2 so they don't piss off their corporate sponsors so they can have enough $$$$ to make themselves a viable candidate for president.

Bush, Obama, and Hillary are all two sides of the same coin. You might think one party is completely different than the other but both are money and power hungry.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I dont get how Pelosi can be a fan of this concept when hospitals in her own state close regularly due to all the illegals drowning the system.

Unless this is her grand scheme to get taxpayers in Delaware and Vermont to flip the bill for the hospitals in California.

No, this isnt wealth redistributng or anything.

All welcome the new world order. It aint going nowhere anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Low orbit and that is why I will sit back with the pop corn and enjoy the lobbyinst paying their way to their harts.

BTW I need my dictionary to understand your post orbit, my bad.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I support the idea of universal health care for United States citizens, but just adopting a single nationalized system like in Canada or the U.K. just isn't going to work here. Most people would rather stick with their current insurance that switch to a single payer system like that. It needs to be something designed here unique to us and our belief in free markets.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
OMG, I need you in another post so you can tell one particular member that has call me unintelligent about how an universal health care may work.

Because obviously I have not enough brains to explain.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
As dj has mentioned, it would be interesting to see how the Democrats would implement this.

Was there not a recent referendum on the subject? To which the majority of Americans voted against the motion? Something tells me in one of the last two Presidential elections, the American public had already said how they felt.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't remember a referendum in the subject.

But I will be happy if one comes around.

Is just like Bush SS plan people are too afraid of uncertainties.

While we have our president telling in his address of the Union how good our economy is doing and how many jobs has created.

He fails to tell American that most jobs are in the minimum wage sector and they are not enough to allow families to afford a health care.

So while jobs are created and Americans are working . . . how come the number of uninsured keeps growing.

It kind of doesn't add to much.

Still like many others had mention, how can we forget the 11 million or more immigrants that can very much benefit from an universal health care.

I see the two sides and it may work, but in the other hand I wonder how will affect the dying middle class tax payer in this nation.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Of course it doesn't make sense to you Low Orbit. After all you are the one who has said that liberals and the mentally challenged should have the same voting rights. That implies that you no longer vote in order to be in compliance with your ideals... and we all know you are no liberal

Universal Health care in this country is inevitable, the question is when. It is the only way to reel in soaring health care costs or they will bankrupt this nation.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Marg, I hate Bush's domestic policy more than anyone. I don't think Bush, Hillary, or even Chuck Norris could solve the Health Care problem within our country.

All I am trying to say in a sarcastic manner is that Congress and Presidential candidates should not try to solve the healthcare problem until they have dealt with the illegal immigration problem. If America solves the immigration problem the healthcare problem will be drastically simplified thus we could create a better healthcare program in the end. The problems are interrelated and I believe illegal immigration is straining, to be gentle, our healthcare system.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The real strains on our health care are the aging mega generation of the baby boomers and the fact that people live a lot longer now.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Communist Cuba has Universal Health Care.
And it makes sense because it removes more freedoms.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I agree Low Orbit, eventually something has to be done, but is major groups out there that will fight very hard for their profits.

Immigration is draining our health care system all you have to do is look at California.

Also is draining the dying middle class taxpayer that still can afford the exorbitant health care coverage.

Like Grover say we are heading to the baby boomers aging, and to tell you the truth we are living longer but not because we are healthier.

Rather because we have remedies to keep us going.

How any mega billion-dollar corporation like pharmaceuticals and Insurances can will allow their endless supply of profits?

Because this tog of war we see so many people, American citizens struggling with not medical coverage.

In addition, we see the elderly running out of their savings because the high cost of health care.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Was there not a recent referendum on the subject? To which the majority of Americans voted against the motion? Something tells me in one of the last two Presidential elections, the American public had already said how they felt.

These are the results from an ABC poll taken last fall:

In an extensive ABCNEWS/Washington Post poll, Americans by a 2-1 margin, 62-32 percent, prefer a universal health insurance program over the current employer-based system. That support, however, is conditional: It falls to fewer than four in 10 if it means a limited choice of doctors, or waiting lists for non-emergency treatments.

Support for change is based largely on unease with the current system's costs. Seventy-eight percent are dissatisfied with the cost of the nation's health care system, including 54 percent "very" dissatisfied.

Indeed, most Americans, or 54 percent, are now dissatisfied with the overall quality of health care in the United States — the first majority in three polls since 1993, and up 10 points since 2000.

abcnews.go.com...

Public Preference:
Current System or Universal Coverage?

Current system: 32%
Universal coverage: 62%
Universal, with waiting lists for non-emergency treatment: 39%
Universal, with limited choice of doctors: 35%

As you can see, people seem to like the idea of universal healthcare, but US citizens are not willing to endure the long waits and limited choices that Canada has.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Health care should be administered by the States, not the feds. The federal government, especially this one has shown itself to care not a whit or a tittle about the citizens of this country. Only corperate interests get addressed. I'm surprised to see McCain jump on this band wagon as he is as big a corperate whore as the rest of them.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Is just like Bush SS plan people are too afraid of uncertainties.

Not true, marg. The public never got to see more than the basic outline of Bush's Social Security reform proposals. The Democrats made sure of that. Don't you remember Hillary Clinton standing up and applauding at last year's State Of Union address when Bush said no progress had been made?

BTW I need my dictionary to understand your post orbit, my bad.

It's simple, really, marg. When you have any question about what something means, just remember this Rule of Thumb: Republicans = Good, Democrats = Bad.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
While I agree we need help in the healthcare arena, I only have one question to pose to you. Do you want our imcompetent government in charge of our healthcare???

I'd first have to see a detailed plan as far as what they want to do. It's easy for a politician to have lofty statements when they are running for Prez. They can talk all they want, I want to see real plans.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

It's simple, really, marg. When you have any question about what something means, just remember this Rule of Thumb: Republicans = Good, Democrats = Bad.

THAT is such a load of bullhooey I can smell it from here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join