It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke nearly explodes in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Mishap in dismantling nuclear warhead
AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- A watchdog group charges a nuclear warhead nearly exploded in Texas when it was being dismantled at the government's Pantex facility near Amarillo.

The Project on Government Oversight says it has been told by knowledgeable experts that the warhead nearly detonated in 2005 because an unsafe amount of pressure was applied while it was being disassembled, The Austin American-Statesman reports.

Source.

Apparently the technicians involved work up to 72 hours each week.

I wonder, if this bomb had exploded, what impact it would have had on humanity's view of nuclear weapons. After all, the bombs dropped on Japan at the end of WWII are but a fading memory.

Apparently this particular weapon had 100 times the destructive potential.

Maybe if a large swathe of Texas was wiped out, attitudes towards nuclear weapons would have shifted. How could any government manage a disaster of this scale? It would make Katrina look like a birthday party.

Does this news concern anybody now that, apparently, the current US nuclear arsenal is due to be dismantled and replaced?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Does this news concern anybody now that, apparently, the current US nuclear arsenal is due to be dismantled and replaced?

I didn't know that.
Sounds creepy!

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Whew, that was close!! Shew.... I live in Waco which is only about 100 miles from Austin.... WOW!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The person who wrote that article either has no idea about how US nuclear warheads are designed or the "watchdog group" purposely misled him/her. Trust me the risk was not a nuclear explosion, that's just silly. Maybe the conventional charges could have detonated due to improper handling but there would have been no nuclear explosion. The people who dismantle these things know what they're doing.

More fear-mongering from the 'Nukes Bad, Flowers Good' people. :shk:

[edit on 25-1-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Why the crap haven't more people responded to this?

If it happened, they would have probably blamed the Iranians.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wouldn't have taken a large swath of Texas with it.. I see no pictures of the facility, I would imagine it is underground (at least hope).. but either way a bomb taking our the area of a minor city is nothing compared to Texas's expanse!

But I know nothing of nukes.. though I didnt know one could be detonated by applying pressure.. I though there was a process to cause the reaction that creats the devastating force of the bomb? .. droping a uranium rod may not be healthy, but it wont become unstable.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone

No offense, but that's because some people on here know that the information in that article is very likely BS.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

No offense, but that's because some people on here know that the information in that article is very likely BS.

No offence, but perhaps you, or they would be so good as to share your superior knowledge with us? It's very easy to pontificate from on high, but I, for one, would be more interested with the proof to back up your claims.

After all, this is from some sort of official news source, and you are but a lone voice on the Internet, so, if you would be so kind, perhaps you could enlighten us as to WHY you are so sure the article is BS?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Why do you say that?

Why are you being disingenuous?

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It's because you cant just drop a nuclear bomb. I mean its not like they drop them out of planes and they explode. They need like crackcards and to be activated and all this crap. Nuclear bombs are EXTREMELY complex and it would take a series of very unlikely mistakes to make the nuclear chain reaction happen. I think what we would have been looking at would have been a dirty bomb of sorts.

Plus I didnt see the last part about a "swathe of Texas being destroyed". It would be more like the city being wiped out IF the bomb went critical and exploded. United States nuclear weapons arent that big. We have city destroying weapons with great accuracy. If it was a Soviet bomb..well that would be a different story.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by truttseeker]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Member nearly uses the Search Function!

Duplicate thread almost avoided!

Ill informed "news" source coupled with sensationalist seeker proceed to attempt to create a crisis where none exists...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ATS Search is your friend...

Mod Note: ATS Search – Please Use This Link.

[edit on 25/1/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As noted by MirthfulMe, this topic is already being discussed here:
Nuclear Weapon almost accidentally explodes in TX !!

thread closed, please continue discussion on the above link.

new topics

top topics

join