It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apartheid in Iran?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
These sanctions may stop the Arab-Israeli conflict by cutting off weapon exporting to the terrorist factions namely Hezbollah and Hamas. Then can the focus be turned to helping Iraq become a stable Arab state.

www.boston.com
BOSTON --Republican Mitt Romney called for economic sanctions against Iran "at least as severe" as those imposed on South Africa during its apartheid era, in an effort to isolate the Central Asian nation and convince it to give up its pursuit of a nuclear weapon.

He added: "Arab states must join this effort to prevent a nuclear Iran. These states can do much more than wring their hands and urge America to act. They should support Iraq's nascent government. They can help America focus on Iran by quickly turning down the temperature of the Arab-Israeli conflict -- stopping the financial and weapons flows to Hamas and Hezbollah, thawing relations with Israel and telling the Palestinians they must drop terrorism and recognize Israel's right to exist."

"Our model should be at least as severe to the sanctions imposed on Apartheid South Africa. We should demand no less from the international community today," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I say do it... Everybody has been threatening Iran about Sanctions. And still they shun everyone. IF they are making nukes, then they should be stopped. This Arab-Israeli conflict is only going to make things worse. Nukes and conflicts don't go hand-in-hand together.

If threats don't work... Do it.

What do you people think?

[edit on 23-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The country itself is pretty self-sufficient, and enjoy many beneficial trade agreements with a couple of the biggest Security Council members.

They have adequate energy, mineral, and educational resources. They produce their own automobiles, and a variety of their own electronics. Their biggets imports are food. So IMO, if the sanctions only benefit to starve out a population, I do not support them. They do have enough land to feed themselves a marginally sufficient diet, but probably not comfortable.

I would also like to add that your title is misleading and incorrect in that the way it is written implies Iran is subjecting itself to an aparthied system. Perhaps you should re-write it in a more factual manner.

[edit on 1/23/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Why not cut off the weapons to the terrorist organisation named Israël? Cut off Israël until they do what they are told. After all, Israël wouldn't exist anymore without the help of the US. Respect my authority! - Eric Cartman.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well first off the sanctions against South Africa didn't do much... aparthid was dismantled ultimately to prevent a bloodbath of a civil war.

If we are going to use sanctions and aparthid and Iran in the same sentence it should be because of their treatment of minorities and especially their treatment of the members of the Baha'i faith there. Twenty thousand and more have ben killed since the faith was founded there in 1844. Since 1979 several hundred to a thousand or more have been tortured and killed, their holy places have been destroyed, their cemetaries have been dug up, they have been forbidden jobs, their school system has been dismantled and they have been refused eduational opprotunities else where in the country. Their bank accounts have been shut down and the monies taken and their ability to organize their own instituitions has been forbidden. Their treatment has been the subject of repeated condemnations both by the UN and the Congress.

All this against a religion that teaches the essential oneness of humanity and peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
No doubt at least some of the facts you stated may be somewhat accurate grover. I would however like to see a source saying this is the official stance of Islam, or the government and people of Iran.

Now, the goals of the Bahai faith seem somewhat NWO'ish to me, however I am completely and wholeheartedly open to a one world system N-T-wayz.

Among the measures which the Bahá'í community advocates as contributions to world unity are a federation of nations, an international auxiliary language, the coordination of the world's economy, a universal system of education, a code of human rights for all peoples, an integrated mechanism for global communication, and a universal system of currency, weights and measures.

And it appears thier prophet may have even forseen the onset of World Wars 1 and 2

Beginning in September 1867, Bahá'u'lláh wrote a series of letters to the world leaders of His time, addressing, among others, Emperor Napoleon III, Queen Victoria, Kaiser Wilhelm I, Tsar Alexander II of Russia, Emperor Franz Joseph, Pope Pius IX, Sultan Abdul-Aziz, and the Persian ruler, Nasiri'd-Din Shah.

In these letters, Bahá'u'lláh openly proclaimed His station. He spoke of the dawn of a new age. But first, He warned, there would be catastrophic upheavals in the world's political and social order. To smooth humanity's transition, He urged the world's leaders to pursue justice. He called for general efforts at disarmament and urged the world's rulers to band together into some form of commonwealth of nations. Only by acting collectively against war, He said, could a lasting peace be established.

Source

I still do not believe this couts as apartheid. I mean its not like this is a result of Islam superiority grover, because they have Jewish representatives in their government.

either way, sanctions aside from the ones regarding nuclear technology are quite unlikely as far as I can see.

[edit on 1/25/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
They are hardly NWOish.... its goals and ideals have been around long before the corporate driven globalization project and in I would say, stand in direct opposition to it since it stresses community and respect for diversity.

As for the "official" stance of Islam... it is that it is a heresy since (A) it grew out of Shiia Islam and (B) it asserts that there are and will continue to be prophets after Muhammad. The government of Iran has consistantly been the force behind the repeated pograms against the Bahai's there.

I personally have been a Baha'i since 1972...35 years now. I have a great deal of respect for Islam and grieve for the fact that so much of it has been taken over by extremist ideology...of course I could say the same thing about Christianity as well.

There is a great deal about the proscution of the Baha'i's in Iran and other countries as well that has been documented.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Why put sanctions on iran? If they are a threat, destroy them. Why are we trying to mess with iran via sanctions and proxy? We did that with the soviet union during the cold war, because they could destroy us. Iran is a nothing on the global power scale. If we really think that they are making nukes, supplying global terrorists that attack us, and are sending army officers to help insurgents kill us in iraq, then annihilate them.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Why put sanctions on iran? If they are a threat, destroy them. Why are we trying to mess with iran via sanctions and proxy? We did that with the soviet union during the cold war, because they could destroy us. Iran is a nothing on the global power scale. If we really think that they are making nukes, supplying global terrorists that attack us, and are sending army officers to help insurgents kill us in iraq, then annihilate them.

Great global strategy! Put this man on Bushes team
i know we will all sleep better with this wise man in control of the nuklear weapons.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
How is Iran an Apartheid state? The South African reference in this story is Romney calling for sanctions "as tough as" those placed on Apartheid South Africa. Slip of the tongue? Or a further attempt at demonizing Iran?

If you want to find a contemporary apartheid state, look to Romney's precious Israel.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It is obvious Israel is an aparthied state. What makes Iran one is that the Baha'i's are being systematically excluded from the social and economic life of the country.

I personally know quite a few Persians, and to a person they are excellent human beings... I do not feel any need to demonize Iran... I am merely stating what makes it an aparthied state... i also know that this is a typical ploy to find some group to blame the problems of the nation on so that people will not see how disfunctional the ruling class actually is... kind of like conservative Republicans demonizing of liberal Democrats... actually exactly like that.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Grover, my post was aimed squarely at the OP, not you

I am not familiar with the Bahai so I would not feel comfortable commenting on their situation within Iran.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Non-muslim Iranian citizens have far fewer rights than non-Jewish Israeli citizens.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Non-muslim Iranian citizens have far fewer rights than non-Jewish Israeli citizens.

Can that be backed up with hard evidence?

For all the talk about Iran wanting a Jewish genocide, there do seem to be a large number of Jews actually resident in Iran, who keep rejecting Israeli calls for them to relocate to there

I have certainly seen no ( credible ) reports of non-Muslims having fewer rights than Muslims, it may be down to what I read though.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think the answer to your question is that (1) it is an opposition to the Israeli state per say, not the Jews in practicular that they are opposed to... after all historically until the foundation of the Jewish state, the Arab world was one of the safest places for a Jew to be, there is no history of the pograms that took place in Europe in the Arab world. (2) Most of the wipe em off the map rhetoric comes from one specific blowhard in Iran, much as the whole axis of evil bullhooey comes from one specific blowhard in the United States.

Again the big instituitional bias in Iran is directed towards the Baha'i's.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by grover]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I agree with Nydgan

After finishing with Iran we need to target Venezuela
after all they are becoming increasingly hostile against he good global take over by the powers of the NWO.

BTW it is any other country that we need to nuke?, after all we can not just take one we need to take them all.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I agree with Nydgan

After finishing with Iran we need to target Venezuela
after all they are becoming increasingly hostile against he good global take over by the powers of the NWO.

BTW it is any other country that we need to nuke?, after all we can not just take one we need to take them all.

sadly Marg, in some quarters that would be considered a sound policy. FOOLS!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
sadly Marg, in some quarters that would be considered a sound policy. FOOLS!!!

Actually that is how the war happy people like it, all war and mayhem.

The hell with what comes after.

I am sarcastic today.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There is no sarcasm in speaking the truth and if they don't like it... that is their problem. I lost all patience with the I don't know nothing and don't want to know nothing right after the lead in to that petty little man's splendid little war, when those of us who opposed it had obscenities shouted at us and were egged and the like. I have a sign still in my window that reads "War is not the Answer" and I have found Jesus saves pamphlets taped to the window as if opposing war is somehow unchristian and marks me of needing salvation. Fools...Idiots and morons.

I really don't give a damn what they think of me anymore and that goes for here too... I am going to state my opinions and if it is in opposition to someone elses and they don't like it all I can say is get over yourself.

As a veteran I have earned the right to my opinion (and would still ahve that right if I weren't one) and my opinion is that our military forces should be used rarely, not recklessly and that when they are used it should be with overwhelming force or not at all... screw Dumbsfeld and his precious little experiment of war on the cheap.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I would also like to add that your title is misleading and incorrect in that the way it is written implies Iran is subjecting itself to an aparthied system. Perhaps you should re-write it in a more factual manner.
[edit on 1/23/2007 by DYepes]

oops, you're right... I realize it now. Sorry about that.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I know we will all sleep better with this wise man in control of the nuklear weapons.

IF a person is a threat and trying to kill you, then why the hell wouldn't you destroy them??? We didn't do it with the russians, because they could destroy US. The iranians can't. They are second rate regional power. We don't need to use nukes, or the whole of our army, or anything like that, to sweep in, destroy their government, and leave them in ruins. If they are a threat to us, why shouldn't we do that? If they don't want us to do that, then they shouldn't be a threat to us.

It is obvious Israel is an aparthied state.

Except that Israeli Arabs are free citizens who can vote and occupy government offices.

What makes Iran one is that the Baha'i's are being systematically excluded from the social and economic life of the country.

Romney isn't saying that Iran is apartheid, he is saying 'sanctions helped bring an end to the policy apartheid in south africa, perhaps they can similarly bring an end to iran's nuclear and terror policy'.

subz
am not familiar with the Bahai so I would not feel comfortable commenting on their situation within Iran.

In islam, there is a figure called the Mahdi, he will come at the end of the world to reform islam, before the final end of the world. The Bahai religion started when someone claimed to be the communicant of the Mahdi, called 'the door' (as in the door to the invisible, near supernatural Mahdi), in arabic (or persian? I don't recall) the "Babi" (door). The Babi said that the Mahdi is comming. The persian, during the colonial era mind you, not in the distant past, then executed the Babi.
Then a man named Mírzá Ḥusayn-`Alí claimed to be the one the Babi had prophesised, and called himself Bahá'u'lláh, claiming that the mahdi is himself a manifestation of god.
This is what the Bah'ai religion is about. The muslims in Iran, from before the Islamic Revolution and to today, have suppressed them, often violently, destroying their communities and cemetaries, etc.

The zoroastrians in iran are also a suppressed people, and I suppose that iranian jews arent' too well off either. BUT, at the same time, its pretty clear that the iranians aren't trying to exterminate any of these groups, ala the nazis, or something like that.

marg6043
Actually that is how the war happy people like it, all war and mayhem.

I am not 'war happy' or 'war mongering', i simply don't see why, if a nation is a threat to us and wants to destroy us, we shouldn't destroy it. Like meets like, no?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join