It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to End the War? Start the Draft

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

quote from ECK: So what exactly do you think our military should do?
Originally posted by Nygdan
They can start by increasing the number of troops to a sensible level, adding far more than the 20K that bush wants, just for Baghdad.

There is at this point no 'troop reservoir' to pull from. Unless you take the bold move of redeploying other forces (KOREA, W. Europe). I've actually been lobbying for that for years now. Since the early 90s. No one pays any attention to reason. :shk:

One reason I am advocating a return to the draft is to simply ease the burdon of that small American percentage of people who make up our armed forces. Our men and women in uniform have been forced by this corrupt and cowardly administration to serve 2-3-4 tours! of Iraq and Afghanistan. That is unconscionable. No man or woman should ever be made to return to the battlefield more than once - unless he/she volunteers. We have broken our word and our bond with our men and women in uniform making them go back like that. Breaking their contracts without recourse. And often getting them killed or maimed in the process.

I would not have sent forces into that country for invasion purposes with less than 700,000 troops. Experience and ratios tell me that.

Because of the arrogance of Rumsfeld and his fellow NeoClowns, it was lost from day one.

At this point, 100,000 fresh troops wouldn't help. It would just sow more chaos.

Its a lost cause.

The only way you could even think to muster half that amount or whatever would be sufficient to the task, would be to start the draft. Its time for all Americans to draw a line in the sand with this administration.

Its time to redeploy our forces. And put the NeoCon fantasy to rest.

They need to round up guys like al-sadr, who've openly attacked the US with their militias. They need to purge the military of the shia death squads. They need get control of the major cities, having enough troops who are actively pursuing the insurgents so as to disrupt their supply lines, find their weapons caches, etc, and then start expanding control outward from the cities.

We/they can't do any of this because there isn't near enough troops to provide that.

One of the biggest blunders of the invasion was sending such an insufficient number of troops that we could not secure and protect all of Saddam's weapons caches. Remember: Saddam had the world's "fourth largest Army" when we fought against him in the Gulf War. Those weapons they claim are coming in from Iran? BS. They're Saddam's stash. His only legacy. An armed resistance.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

At this point, 100,000 fresh troops wouldn't help. It would just sow more chaos.

You want troops? Send first those who believe in the Iraq war, then Bill Oreilly and Rush Limbaugh, then if they need more soldiers, send Israëli troops (after all, Iraq was a little for them), then send those who voted for Bush TWICE with some random lottery. So we won't see the same RRconservative, centurion and Nygdan... war will have changed them, for the best I hope.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My underlying point here with this thread/movement is, if Bush believes so strongly in this misbegotten war, then he should have the balls to start the draft. Then he could pour massive numbers of troops into Baghdad and Anbar and take over the South as the Brits leave this spring.

If he believes so much in his mission, he should be willing to put his money where his mouth is and commit a massive force /peace operation using draftees.

It makes perfect sense. But he doesn't believe it enuff to do it.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

It makes perfect sense. But he doesn't believe it enuff to do it.

He knows good and well he's a liar.

He knows the American people would cut him off at the knees if he got that crazy.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
There is at this point no 'troop reservoir' to pull from.

www.globalsecurity.org...
Of the 37 combat brigades and Armored Cavalry Regiments in the US Army's active component, some 12 are currently deployed (including one from the 2nd Infantry Division in South Korea). [...]
Of the Army National Guards 37 combat brigades 4 are currently deployed

There are enough troops to significantly increase the troop level throughout iraq.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

You want troops? Send first those who
How about we send the soldiers that signed up for the army and for fighting in wars, eh?

believe in the Iraq war, then Bill Oreilly and Rush Limbaugh, then if they need more soldiers, send Israëli troops (after all, Iraq was a little for them), then send those who voted for Bush TWICE with some random lottery. So we won't see the same RRconservative, centurion and Nygdan... war will have changed them, for the best I hope.

Bub, you don't know anything about me.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by Nygdan]

[edit on 19-1-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

There are enough troops to significantly increase the troop level throughout iraq.

Initially, there are only 9,000 available troops to particiapte in this surge. Right now Minnesota's senator is pissed off b/c his guard units are being called to extend their tours. As of right now, they are busy reshuffling the chairs on the deck of the titanic. The only forces available at the moment are in-country or in Kuwait.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

How about we send the soldiers that signed up for the army and for fighting in wars, eh?

Well, there's not enough.

Bub, you don't know anything about me.

And? I only say that if you support the war, then support your ideas by getting involved and go into the army. If there would be a war that I would support, I would go fight in it, I will not send people who don't agree in it because ``it's their job``, it's not their job to die in something they don't believe in because someone said so. Hell, you can AT least decide, to a certain point, how you're gonna die.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's very interesting that now there are a growing number of active duty officers and enlisted personnel who are voicing their opposition to this madness through congressional channels (which is legal).

When I served, that was unheard of.

That is an excellent example of how insane BushCo. foreign policy has gotten.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
ECK, I think I understand what you are saying. If people have their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers and other loved ones drafted for this war, it will make people think more harder how stupid this war is and thus ending quicker by their protest.

It does not work that way.

The average American will not be able to bear the thought their son or daughter is being drafted to fight a war that is wrong, that they are fighting and dying for nothing. Because it is a horrible thought. They will cling on to the false idea that they are fighting for a noble cause, a reason, and for their country, not the NeoCon gangsters.

Some will of course, but they will be denounced, and it won't stop the bodybags, which will increase in number. The more troops will escalate the war, escalate the insurgecy via disgruntled Iraqis, and things in Iraq will get worse and worse and worse.

And when this war ends, with the draft being in effect, the US would still have lost and things in Iraq will be worse than they are now.

The only way this war would stop immeadiatly or be 'better' from a draft would be from a draft that stipulated Bush, Blair, Cheney, and all the NeoCon cronies and relatives had to fight at the front.

I understand your frustration ECK, but a American nationwide draft would not be the answer....it would only play into the NeoCon hands, and deep down, you know it too.

[edit on 25-1-2007 by Regensturm]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join