It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Explosion inside U.S Embassy Compound in Athens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just in....

here we go

Blast rips through U.S. embassy compound in Athens

ATHENS (Reuters) - An explosion ripped through the U.S. embassy compound in central Athens on Friday, a police source said.

It was not clear what caused the blast and there was no immediate word on whether there were any casualties.

Looks like the escalation has begun in earnest now if this is terrorism.
It's currently around 7am in Athens, hopefully there won't be any injuries or casualities.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
ahh, beat me to it WW!

I doubt it could be anything but terrorism, how often do accidental explosions take place inside embassies?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wow, I wonder if this is in response to the Bush speech

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Things explode all the time - furnaces, boilers, pipes, refrigerators...

Anyway, I have no idea if it's terrorism-related, but I do know for a fact that accidental explosions are not out of the realm of possibility.

Let's wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
American embassy?

Explosion?

The odds are pretty good its a sign for America.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They say it was pretty large blast. Happened about 22 minutes ago, no injuries thanks Anderson Cooper lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Can anyone find another news source for this story, I cant find anything on google......

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's running as a breaking news banner on CNN and others
www.cnn.com...
www.foxnews.com...

here's another article:
Blast rips through U.S. Embassy in Athens

[edit on 1-11-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
No reports of injuries so far. I'm curious as to how this will play out.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
As always, we should have seen this coming. Mind you, we never know where it will strike.

In Athens, well, that's a little out of the ordinary.

Who would have thought it?

Let's wait and see how it unfolds.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Pritty weird I can't find anything about this on ANY greek news site. Only American news sites.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Tidbit

reports that the explosion struck the embassy's third floor at 5.55am.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Here us some info from yahoo.com

news.yahoo.com...&printer=1

Explosion heard within US embassy in Athens: police

12 minutes ago

Greek police sealed off one of Athens' main avenues after a loud explosion was heard inside the American embassy, police and fire department sources said.

Four fire engines rushed to the scene, amid reports that the explosion struck the embassy building's third floor at 5:55 am (0355 GMT), the fire department said.

But one witness said the blast hit in the courtyard near the embassy's front entrance.

"The explosion sounded in the courtyard, then a fire broke out over the central entrance, where the emblem is situated," a Greek motorist told private Skai radio.

The American embassy is among the best-guarded buildings in the Greek capital.

Police said they are investigating with sniffer dogs.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
BREAKING | U.S. | WORLD | POLITICS | BUSINESS | SPORTS | ENTERTAINMENT | TECHNOLOGY | HEALTH | ODD | VIDEOS | FORUMS

Explosion heard within US embassy in Athens: police

Jan 12 12:18 AM US/Eastern

Greek police sealed off one of Athens' main avenues after a loud explosion was heard inside the American embassy, police and fire department sources said.
Four fire engines rushed to the scene, amid reports that the explosion struck the embassy building's third floor at 5:55 am (0355 GMT), the fire department said.

But one witness said the blast hit in the courtyard near the embassy's front entrance.

"The explosion sounded in the courtyard, then a fire broke out over the central entrance, where the emblem is situated," a Greek motorist told private Skai radio.

The American embassy is among the best-guarded buildings in the Greek capital.

Police said they are investigating with sniffer dogs.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
lol sorry Realtruth

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Here's a theory it will depend on which how you look at it or what group you subscribe to.

This blast was staged for the much needed support of congress to send all the extra soldiers to Iraq or it was some dumba$$ terrorist that is just adding fuel to the fire, so back to point one giving Bush the support he needs to seal the deal for more military personnel.

What do you all think? Real soon after the speech about sending more troops though.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Valid points Realtruth. The bottom line I think is to impress on all the feeling of lack of control.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yesterday there were peace activists outside the Athens embassy protesting about Guantanamo.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
this "bombing", another incident in Florida, this time with more white powder....just too coincidental with the timing

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I agree with realtruth. It wouldn't suprise me if this was a staged 'incident' concocted by the Pres. and his cronies to add credibility to his desire to send more troops to Iraq. I really believe that Lil' Bush is the most untrustworthy President that the US has ever had.

I'm still predicting that sometime near the 2008 Presidential Elections, a major, and I mean major, 'terrorist' attack will happen on US soil and during this 'time of crisis' Bush will cancel the elections, declare martial law and then declare himself 'temporary' Dictator of the US, until the country is once more safe from the woes of 'terrorism'.

Call it an NWO conspiracy if you want, it's what I sincerely believe the President's goal is and if it happens, I'm taking my family and getting the hell out of North America.

Sorry for going so far off topic there, but anyway, yeah I think this was a staged act of terrorism, aimed at giving more credibility to the President's story.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join