It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Californian's will have to Foot Bill for Illegal's health care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Californian's Forced into Paying for Statewide Healthcare By Gov Schwarzenegger.

What worries me is the when Cali passes something many other states follow suit, not always but most of the time.

I don't live in Cali but i found this article interesting. It appears that Californians are getting the the cost of statewide healthcare system pushed over on the people that actually work hard for a living.

Why not start squeezing insurance company's, hospitals, doctors too?

www.whittierdailynews.com...

Health care reform unveiled
Universal coverage key in governor's plan
By Mike Zapler and Harrison Sheppard Sacramento Bureau

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed Monday a sweeping plan to insure the health of all Californians by forcing most businesses to cover their employees and all individuals to obtain coverage through work or on their own.

The Republican governor's proposal puts the state at the forefront of national efforts to reform the health care system.

His plan would provide health coverage to the estimated 6.5 million Californians - legal and illegal residents - who are uninsured and put the cost burden on everyone else.

In calling for "shared responsibility" to solve the health care crisis, Schwarzenegger's proposal demands big contributions from some of the most powerful business and health interests in the state.

"We will fix California's broken health care system," Schwarzenegger pledged in an announcement televised by closed-circuit from Los Angeles, where he is nursing a broken leg. "And create a model that can be used by the rest of the nation."

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
um
if there's universal healthcare, why would they need health insurance?

and what's so bad about getting the burden of healthcare off of the back of employers?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

and what's so bad about getting the burden of healthcare off of the back of employers?

They are forcing employers to pay the entire bill for everyone. You may have miss understood the article.

RT

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Illegal immigrants shouldn't get access to health care period. If you give illegal immigrants access to the likes of health care you only encourage more people to enter a country illegally.
Why should illegal immigrants get access to health care when there legal citizens in the USA who don't have health insurance ?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
They are forcing employers to pay the entire bill for everyone. You may have miss understood the article.
RT

no, i just mistyped
i meant to type EMPLOYEES
the E and the R are situated right next to each other, so it's a mistake i make sometimes

isn't healthcare a basic human right?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Well I don't think that many will agree, but I think everyone should have healthcare, but who pays for it?

Me, You, or should the corrupt medical system be re-vamped? Will doctors work for less or free? Will insurance companies drop rates?

The US is the only and I mean only civilized country without basic healthcare for everyone of it's citizens.

I'm not sure what the answer is but there needs to be a middle ground and not just push the bills over to the small business owners and the people that work hard because that is who will foot most of the costs, guaranteed.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Illegal immigrants shouldn't get access to health care period. If you give illegal immigrants access to the likes of health care you only encourage more people to enter a country illegally.
Why should illegal immigrants get access to health care when there legal citizens in the USA who don't have health insurance ?

Well you bring up some excellent points, if we give them health care then we encourage more to come, well they are basically getting it now. Maybe what we should do is when they come in for health care get them into the system and have them register to pay taxes or maybe an IOU for the future? Not to sure on this one.

But Yes, first we need to take care of the 50 million americans that don't have any health care, then the illegals come lastly.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here is another great article that is very detailed in reference to the topic.

The Federalist Prescription

Health care and the states
The federalist prescription

Jan 11th 2007
From The Economist print edition
Extending health care to the uncovered, one state at a time
Corbis

WITH his leg injured in a recent skiing accident, Arnold Schwarzenegger, California's governor, this week announced a plan that could change the terms of America's health-care debate. The Republican in charge of the country's most populous state, where 6.5m people, almost one resident in five, lack medical insurance, said he wants to introduce universal health-care coverage.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Madnessinmysoul sorry I missed your question earlier.
People who are in a country legally on a full time or temporary basis have a right health care even if they have to pay for it themselves. If your in a country illegally you don't or you shouldn't have any rights.

If you break the law you cant expect to treated like a law abiding person.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well as a resident of the State of California, might as well chime in. I am divided on this issue myself. On one hand, I do know a good health care system is needed badly, as I have seen alot of people get real sick with out any hope of being able to get medical treatment, and the choice being go to work and aggrivate a sickness or injury or miss a day of work, not get paid for the day and seek treatment. I do know that this would make it easier for children to get the innoculations against some of the more horrid diseases out there. But at the same time I can not in good faith support free medical for illegale immigrants, as it would put a drain on a medical system that is already overtaxed, and I know. Last Er visit I had to go to, spent a good 3 hours waiting to see the triage nurse. But the wisdom is there, as there are a lot of diseases that most of us are either innoculated against and or never see. So the choices are this, you can either not allow medical treatement to those who are illegale and chance an epidemic or do such and be safe from such. Real tough choices.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As long as people pay into the system, follow the laws, and don't drain the social system then they should get some type of consideration, but I think that legal US citizens should get first considerations before someone that is a non-resident.

Anyone agree with this statement?

top topics

join