It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does the wedding industry do as well as it does?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
the industry does so well because it plays on peoples' desire to achieve the "perfect" wedding that they've been imagining for their whole lives. It is a once in a lifetime event (ideally) and the couple and their families feel like they have to go all out.

I think its too bad that people can essentially get tricked into paying ridiculous prices for a private affair that gets turned into a huge event, when it is really only between two people.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I'm no cheapskate, but I did research the cheapest wedding possible in GA. I don't plan on doing this, because I do want something that isn't mediocre. During Valentines day, many county courts here in GA provide free marriages and a free marriage license. In effect, you can walk into the court, obtain a marriage license in 30 minutes, talk to minister in the court, and be married in less than an hour for free. The only costs would be for gas/transportation to there. Last year, 50 couples were married this way.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hi All,

Thanks for the compliments
(**blush**) I was really happy that day and I think it shows. (No stress at all!!)

I too think that the industry can get pretty rediculous. Yet, I also think that if a preson is willing to spend the time and effort, they can have the wedding they envision without having to go broke doing so.

Congrats to you hotpink!! I hope you guys look at each other 40 years from now and still feel like you did when you first fell in love!! I am sure that you will be able to find a way to have a great wedding day without stress and without going into debt.

Hopefully you dont have friends or family telling you how things are "traditionally" supposed to be, thereby causing you undue stress. Its you and your fiance's day, so it should be the way you want it.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Grab your fiancee.

Run off to LasVegas.

Get married.

Gamble minimally.

Enjoy the great restaurants and shows.

Tour the local sights, Hoover Dam etc.

Live happily ever after.

Been there done that....

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
In vegas, I actually saw a Drive-Thru Wedding Chapel. You'd pull up to a window, it'd open, you'd get married, poof, done.

I saw a limo pull right up to it for one 'ceremony'. I have to wonder though, why even get the limo if you're going to do the drive-thru?

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You've answered your own question...

The "industry" does so well because...

of the girls wanting to be married like "princesses" and all the details, those all add up...

Sounds like you're upset over the cost of your upcoming wedding...

Good Luck.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I appreciate the well wishes of everyone.

I am not upset over the costs of the wedding, even though the markup is outrageous, as much as the stress, anxiety, and hassle the wedding industry creates. The day we got engaged we planned on having a small affair, on the beach, with dinner or brunch afterwards at a restraunt. We are now inviting over 150 people, and may possibly have 250 people. Every time my fiancee gets back from talking to a vendor, she informs me of yet another thing we "must" have. For example, just recently she got back from shopping for a dress that costs more than my car. I was informed that myself along with 10-15 of my male relatives would all be wearing mathcing tuxes.
She almost cried when I refused the tuxes because she thought it was absolutely necessary everyone matched or the wedding photos would be "ruined."
I wonder, how did the dress seller (who happens to rent tuxedos) put these awful ideas into her head?

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I apologize for asking a personal question, but will she/her family pay for any of it too?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
NO offense is meant to anyone as I progress on this. There are exceptions to everything.

I have come to the conclusion that people who want big weddings are making up for something they lack. Either in themselves but usually as a couple. I realised this when my brother said all is married friends that were happy were the ones that eloped. All the biggest weddings I went to are all now divorced.
These are usually orchestrated by people who insist on huge diamond rings as engagment rings. They put a lot of value into a shiny rock. They would be mad at their mates otherwise, because somehow love is determined by jewelry.

I wasn't one of the females that didn't dream of their wedding day.

I had a nice small wedding for half the budget of what other people paid. Necessity is the mother of invention.

we got away with a lot of stuff that no one noticed. I also got a lot of compliments on a great wedding just because it wasn't standard. IT was original. I wanted a nice wedding, but I was not willing to break the bank over it.

I once heard a quote that said ( I forget who) that the thing they love most about weddings is that they have absolutely nothing to do with marriage.

It doesn't matter how the wedding day is planned, as long as the couple is in a good strong relationship.

But yes, the whole industry is a rip off.

Wait till you have a baby. Talk about another rip off industry.
Having a baby is a much bigger life change then getting married.

If you want some tips to cut corners, I will be more than happy to supply them.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
How does the wedding industry do so well?

Actually I'm starting to believe they take kickbacks from the Divorce industry.

I.e., lawyers, etc.

Most of my friends are either divorced, have been divorced, or having marital problems.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I just want to add that sometimes it is cultural. Many cultures, especially of catholic influence, have great big weddings. IT is about the family, not just the bride. It doesn't sound like your case however. But these same cultures also have a grand party for funerals as well. Life is just being celebrated. but that is different then someone who wants a cinderella scenario so they can feel like a princess for a day.

I just want to add a little on the other side. I don't mean this as a sexist discrimination way, but there are few times in life when a woman is celebrated. As a wife, and a mother, a woman will always take care of herself last. She tends to be on the sidelines in everything. So this is her one chance to be about her. If that is the case, I would much rather have a long luxiourous pampering honeymoon.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I agree the wedding industry has gotten completely out of hand, perhaps it's symptomatic of our materialistic culture. I can't judge a woman for wanting her special day to be an all out extravaganza, but my husband and I were content with two matching silver bands and no paperwork.

In fact, most of our friends have had alternative ceremonies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join