It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy Calling For Universal Ban on Death Penalty

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
an eye for an eye..enough said

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Does the USA herself execute for any Federal Crimes though?

Yes.

Here is a Federal list of executions since 1927. Three have occurred since the reintroduction of the federal death penalty in the late 1980’s.

…and here is some recent developments concerning the states and some rulings.

This topic has been a major source of controversy and Supreme Court rulings for more than three decades.

mg

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SAGEX89

ermm no.

Death penalty doesn't solve the problem, the State becomes apart of it. The State is meant to set an example of what is right and wrong, murder for murder is not setting an example.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae

I do hope that one day executions will be a thing of the past, like it is in my country, I really dont think the death penalty is the best or effective deterrent.

I'm not sure how I feel about the death penalty, I've heard the aurgument for it, Alot of my co-workers are for it but...I have never really heard of an alternative solution for that works. I was wondering what you might think is a better deterrent??

some criminals seem quite beyond rehabilitation from some of the documentary's I've watched, so what do we do? we leave them in prison for life, to add their own spice to the prison population??

just wondering.............

[edit on 3-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 3-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
That freak that raped and killed a six year old girl. Then burys her behind his garage. Has the balls to join the search party befoe they finally find her. I say prolong that death mabye a water boarding weekend for a few weeks. then throw him in the sissy quarter and have him go out like she did.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

ermm no.

Death penalty doesn't solve the problem, the State becomes apart of it. The State is meant to set an example of what is right and wrong, murder for murder is not setting an example.

lol, sorry I didn't know it was the State's job to teach that murder is wrong . I mean..I know that is a hard concept to grasp and the State shouldn't kill the offenders for...education. But >>>

What is it's (the State's) job is to punish offenders. And getting fed and clothed for the rest of their lives is not punishment. Especially if they have a lucrative business IN jail [such as drug smuggling].

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

An eye for an eye will leave us all blind.

I would love to hear of a global wide ban on Capital Punishment. However, I don't believe it to be the position of one country to demand it. If we could all come to an agreement on the issue, it would be nothing short of an Utopian society. I believe in the end, each country should have the right to determine their laws. Even if I disagree with them, it is their right.

Dae

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
I was wondering what you might think is a better deterrent??

I dont know... is there anyway to deter someone from killing? You hear alot of cases when someone kills their family and then kills themselves. Then you hear about terrible people who hurt and murder kids... does the death penalty or hell life in prison deter them? Dont think so, 'cos if there is a chance of not getting caught then those type of people will take it.

The only deterrent I can think of if there is a 100% chance of being caught - and thats not realistic (yet).

We dont know what happens to us after death, not for sure. So lets keep hold of the gits who are wicked wrong and make them suffer in life, for lives they have taken.

The over crowded prisons is a different issue, we should never let that determine whether we should execute people or not. Im sure The States dont execute that many people, not enough to relieve the prison system at any rate.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Maybe the problem is that we are naive enough to believe that punishment, rather than reinforcement, is the solution to our problems?

We all know the cheesy quote, "You can catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar" Cheese aside, it is true.

I understand our system is nowhere near capable of installing a system that preached reinforcement rather than punishment, but it is certainly something we could work on within the prisons.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I understand our system is nowhere near capable of installing a system that preached reinforcement rather than punishment, but it is certainly something we could work on within the prisons.

that much i agree with. too many people who have committed small crimes have turned into real criminals while in prison. alot of criminal behaviours are learned, and what better environment to learn that than the US prison system? we need to restructure our system to actually reform a person. of course the question becomes "how to do that?" i think you have to start by finding a method of identifying the unredemables, and filter them out to maximum security lifetime prisons....then you can start to actually attempt reforming those who can be saved. but that's all just all MHO.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by snafu7700]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

It may seem like an unattainable goal at this point, but who says we can not work towards this over time? Bit by bit, prison by prison, inmate by inmate. Who is to say it could not work?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

An eye for an eye will leave us all blind.

I would love to hear of a global wide ban on Capital Punishment. However, I don't believe it to be the position of one country to demand it. If we could all come to an agreement on the issue, it would be nothing short of an Utopian society. I believe in the end, each country should have the right to determine their laws. Even if I disagree with them, it is their right.

If there were an "eye for an eye" law, I for one would not be blind. Most people would not be blind.

Sure we can't simplify punishment to that level ... you shouldn't have your hands cut off for stealing. But capital punishment serves a purpose. What is the appropriate punishment for a serial murderer ... or someone who indiscriminately kills children??

For those who aren't able to be rehabilitated ... or whose crimes are so severe that the saftey of a community could not be risked on their release. Is it better to keep them locked up in a 8x8 cell for 40, 50, 60 years until they die of old age? What kind of life is that?

I'm wondering what alternatives to the death penalty people would seek? The criminals who are being subject to the death penalty are the most vicious and dangerous of our society. The are giving years, typically decades, of appeals that allow many judicial levels and people to see and view their case for issues of injustice.

At some point someone must answer for their crime. For all the people that gather around prisons and hold candle light vigils for the death row prisoners being put down ... do they ever stop and wonder how the victim's family feels or what the victim(s) went through in this ordeal?

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
I guess your saying that the death penalty is "the good stuff"

Um, no, I'm saying the universal ban on the death penalty would be "the good stuff." Didn't you start this thread??

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
For those who aren't able to be rehabilitated ... or whose crimes are so severe that the saftey of a community could not be risked on their release. Is it better to keep them locked up in a 8x8 cell for 40, 50, 60 years until they die of old age? What kind of life is that?

It is the life they deserve. A life with no freedom, a life imprisoned by 8x8 concrete walls. It is much cheaper for the tax payers, and after a few years, the only thing the inmate would have to look forward to, is death.

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
For all the people that gather around prisons and hold candle light vigils for the death row prisoners being put down ... do they ever stop and wonder how the victim's family feels or what the victim(s) went through in this ordeal?

The loss of a life is a very tragic moment. No matter what the man or woman may be guilty of, the word of his passing is going to cause pain. Would the family of the guilty not suffer from his death? Do they not hurt? Do you need to be a victim to truly suffer from the passing of a loved one?

No, everyone suffers. Even the families of the guilty should be permitted the opportunity to mourn the loss of their loved one.

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Didn't you start this thread??

Nope, I would be the guilty party on that one HH.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
the death penalty should definetly be banned everywhere. And maybe then we can abolish money. lol

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
this latest death penalty moratorium/ban, is another of those 'revolving door' proposals...in the sense that the issue comes up around every two years

as your voice of america link states, there is a current & ongoing 'non-binding' resolution in the UN presently that has 80 countries on board to ban the death penalty...

know who some of the countries aren't?

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

In 2005, there were at least 2,148 executions in 22 countries around the world. China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and the United States were responsible for 94% of the known executions.

1. China ~1,770
2. Iran ~ 94
3. Saudi Arabia ~ 86
4. United States 60
5. Pakistan 31
6. Yemen 24
7. Vietnam 21
8. Jordan 11
9. Mongolia 8
0. Singapore 6

on the brighter side there are 123 countries that have abolished the death penalty , if you see the above link & scroll up to the earlier graphic, (most of the data are from Amnesty Int'l)

my guess is that the Italian proposal will be ammended, changed, modified into a ban on making public any executions, especially banned will be cell phone videos...holding those responsible as having committed an act of terrorism (both the spying activity itself(sender) and the wireless provider that carried the illegally obtained execution procedure)

about all the tastless Hussein hanging video accomplishes is further restricting freedom of communications, eventually worldwide !

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
of course, what they fail to mention about that number is that

a. the US accounts for less than three percent of the total from the top 4.

b. out of the top four, the US is the only country in which the accused has anything resembling a fair trial.

misleading numbers to say the least.

edit to correct my poor math skills.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by snafu7700]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Didn't you start this thread??

Nope, I would be the guilty party on that one HH.

So, why is the OP attributed to the sentinal... what's going on?

I'm confused.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So, why is the OP attributed to the sentinal... what's going on?

I'm confused.

Actually, that is my mistake. I confused this thread with another one that I had just recently authored. The same topic is being discussed, and I confused the two. My mistake.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't understand why you give so much credit to italian prime minister's words because he counts for nothing.
Certainly Prodi made this statement because someone told him so and want divert attention from important things at the ONU.

Even if Italy is the 5th or the 6th financial and economic power in the world, Italy is a military and political colony of USA.
If you look a world map, you will note Italy is natural mega carrier to Europe, North Africa and Middle East.
All italian government does everything Washington want.
In fact, despite non proliferation treaty. italian military forces hold over 70 US nukes in own bases and government pays over 500 milion US$ every year to maintain US military bases, even if major part of citizens wants US soldiers go home. For this you can see the recent protests for the enlargement of Vicenza's US base.

About Mafia, that is not what they want you see in fiction, because they want you think you can fight and win.
It's worse.

In Italy that you call Mafia is 3 very different transnational organizations: mafia or Cosa Nostra in Sicily, 'ndrangheta in Calabria and Sacra Corona Unita in Puglia. These powerful organizations don't fight each other, in many cases they are allies.
They control illegal busines, politicians, banks, police forces and other foreingn criminal organizations in many country around the world.
They aren't the rough gangesters you have seen in the movies.
Infact once a famous italian judge Giovanni Falcone, killed by Cosa Nostra, once says "behind these are very subtle minds".

Mafia exists before Jesus Christ's birth and their ties and internal laws are far beyond what you know about freemassonery.
Cosa Nostra, 'ndrangheta and Sacra Corona Unita are about family and nothing exists over the family.

Every man has tried to fight has loose. What we can do it is to coexist ad to stay away of them.

I'm sorry for my phfrase construction but, in this, english is very different from italian.

I like very much your forum

Ciao,

Andala

I'm sorry too if i have depressed you.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Andala]

[edit on 4-1-2007 by Andala]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join