It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy Calling For Universal Ban on Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Italy has announced that it will seek support at the United Nations for a global ban on the death penalty following the release of images of Saddam Hussein's execution that have shocked the world wide community.

www.voanews.com
Italy says it will campaign at the United Nations for a global ban on the death penalty after images of the hanging of Iraq's former dictator shocked people worldwide.

Prime Minister Romano Prodi said Tuesday that his government will use Italy's new seat in the U.N. Security Council to push for a "universal moratorium" on capital punishment. Italy joined the council on January 1 for a two-year term.

Italian politicians of all political affiliations expressed disgust at Saddam Hussein's execution.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iraqi officials may indeed have cause and justification for their remarks seeing that the United States has executed many criminals without such a harsh backlash from other countries.

What remains to be seen is whether Italy's new seat on the United Nations security council will make a difference in seeing a change on the death penalty issue.

Related News Links:
ipsnews.net
www.iht.com

[edit on 2-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Bravo for the Italian Politicians who brought this measure in front of the UN. A bill like this will be good for mankind. Too bad the world community can't get behind more common good ideas like this.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
i certainly believe that saddam should have been tried at the hague, as there was no way for him to get a fair trial in his own country after those opposing his rule were in power.

however, having said that let me say that i lived in italy for two years, and let me tell you, they certainly have no business telling any other country in the world how to deal with their delinquents. do you folks realize that certain italian judges and prosecutors have military guards with large machine guns because of the threats on their lives? i'm sorry, but i'd rather not get my lessons on the doling out of punishment from a country in which the mafia still plays a huge role in how things are done. for those of you who dont know, the mafia in italy is not like the mafia in the states. over there it's more like a form of feudal government than anything else.....and believe me, there is a death penalty.....just ask those being guarded by military personnel with big guns.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yep, straight from the folks who brought us the Mafia, Whats the difference if you get it from a judge or somebody's cousin Vinnie down on pier fortynine their still going to get their own brand of justice. Very disappointing.......

[edit on 2-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Umm... the UN is not a one world government as such it has no business telling sovereign countries how they should run their judicial system. If it wants to make a voluntary bill that member nations can sign, fine. However the idea of trying to make a 'world law' is outrages and violates national sovereignty. As the recently appointed new head of the UN said, it should be up to member nations to decide for themselves.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I hear what your saying westpoint, but in the near future our sovereignty will indeed be on the chopping block, we've slowly been creeping toward a global one world government for some time now and I belive it's just a matter of time before some catastrophic event renders our sovereignty a sweet memory.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
I belive it's just a matter of time before some catastrophic event renders our sovereignty a sweet memory...

...yeah, so shouldn't we make sure this one-world government is a decent one?

I get what people are saying about Italy, and the mob, but, really, so what? Every country has some skeletons in the closet, some still very much alive. Does that mean we should discount everybody's suggestions?

If we are going to be forced, kicking and screaming, into this NWO order thing, shouldn't we try to encourage the good stuff?

just my two cents...

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This ship has been sunk before it has left port. The new head of the UN seems to be in favor of the UN staying out of this matter . The government of Italy should focus on more important and urgent matters such as climate change and terrorism.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

Originally posted by the_sentinal
I belive it's just a matter of time before some catastrophic event renders our sovereignty a sweet memory...

...yeah, so shouldn't we make sure this one-world government is a decent one?

I get what people are saying about Italy, and the mob, but, really, so what? Every country has some skeletons in the closet, some still very much alive. Does that mean we should discount everybody's suggestions?

If we are going to be forced, kicking and screaming, into this NWO order thing, shouldn't we try to encourage the good stuff?

just my two cents...

I second that motion.

Personally, I am in favour of a World Government as it can be a good thing. 1000 years ago, Nations did not exist, technically, as it was just Kingdoms. If we're ever going to do anything constructive as the Human race, we need to ignore political boundaries and work together.

The implementation of it is the key, however.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

just my two cents...

I guess your saying that the death penalty is "the good stuff" while I do agree that the death penalty certainly can curtail violent criminals actions I think that the issue would be a sticking point to any government, global or otherwise, there simply are to many differing viewpoints in the world concerning the death penalty. We certainly have never seen anyone executed in the U.S. so quickly after being convicted.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

Dae

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
How about the world stops using the death penalty on children first??

Source

Since 1990 Amnesty International has documented executions of child offenders in seven countries: the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, the USA and Yemen. At least two of these countries, Pakistan and Yemen, have since changed their laws to exclude the practice. The country which has carried out the greatest number of known executions is the USA.

Well, it looks like there is only five countries left to go...

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i'm sorry, but 17 year olds who murder and mutilate someone and then are tried as adults, finally being executed 15 years after the sentence does not count as child execution....especially when compared with countries that are executing 13 year old children....when they are still 13.

AI is more than a little biased and more than a little dishonest about their reports. you should read them a little more carefully before assuming anything they say is truthful.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Well, it looks like there is only five countries left to go...

Your article is several years old, the comments are very misleading about the United States and it paints with a very wide brush. It fails to mention States’ Rights in the United States and how many states had already outlawed this action but also the death penalty completely.

From your own source:

USA: Supreme Court Outlaws Execution of Child Offenders

Not to mention a “child offender” is different than an “executed child”…there are children on the cusp of 18, imo, that should be tried as adults…death penalty or not.

mg

Dae

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Oh. So the US doesnt execute people under the age of 18? If thats ture, then youre right, its a different kettle of fish. If a child of lets say 12 years old kills, will they be executed when they are adults? Does the US still use electricity as a means of execution?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
Oh. So the US doesnt execute people under the age of 18? If thats ture, then youre right, its a different kettle of fish. If a child of lets say 12 years old kills, will they be executed when they are adults?

Please take the time to read the link I provided…you will find this:

…the US Supreme Court outlawing the execution of child offenders -- those who were under 18 at the time of the crime

Originally posted by Dae
Does the US still use electricity as a means of execution?

NOT the US…In all states where execution is legal and employ the option of the electric chair (except Nebraska with 3 executions since 1994), the prisoner has the choice of method, either electrocution or lethal injection.

mg

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
At least you get a choice then, I suppose.... A bit of Freedom and Democracy right to the end, I love it

[edit on 3/1/07 by stumason]

Dae

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks Missed gear and snafu for updating me on this subject, I have been warned about amnesty international, seems like the warning was correct.

I do hope that one day executions will be a thing of the past, like it is in my country, I really dont think the death penalty is the best or effective deterrent. However I am glad to know that The States dont execute people under the age of 18.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by missed_gear

NOT the US…In all states where execution is legal and employ the option of the electric chair (except Nebraska with 3 executions since 1994), the prisoner has the choice of method, either electrocution or lethal injection.

mg

Does the USA herself execute for any Federal Crimes though?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Good for Italy! Some people are waking up!!!!

As another esteemed member of this site once said, "no one should be executed period. how can you cure poison with poison? this planet has a lot to learn in the ways of peace."

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Does the USA herself execute for any Federal Crimes though?

yes, but not very often. there have only been two others since mcveigh:

deathpenaltyinfo.org

<<   2  3 >>

join