It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Pro-Boxer 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir

Originally posted by DynamiteDeanPhillips

Originally posted by Ben
Mike Tyson was your favorite boxer, but what did you think about Ali?

Ali was a totally different type of fighter to Tyson. Whereas Ali relied on his boxing skills and other tactics to outwit and outthink his opponent, Tyson would just go in and look for the knockout and that generated excitement whenever he fought.

I have to agree there Tyson was one of the most exciting fighters to watch in his early days. He was like an animal in the ring and totally ripped peoples heads off.

What i would like to ask though is that they are both totally different styles of fighters.

Dean what style catagory do you fit into? Do you have to change your style to suit certain fights? Have you modelled yourself on any fighter or just do your own thing?

I am a pressure fighter by nature, although I can box too. Yes, you have to change your fight tactics depending on the style of fighter you are in there with.

No, I haven't modelled myself on any fighter. What people see in the ring in myself as a fighter are the years of hard work put in by myself and the years of hard work put in by the people who have helped me during my whole career.

Ben

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
How do you know when the appropiate time is to change your fighting style?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
How do you know when the appropiate time is to change your fighting style?

What I mean by changing style is not totally change the way you fight, to do that it would take months at least. What I mean is adapting your tactics to suit your opponent's style. For example, if he is a cagey boxer, then you would look at piling on the pressure. If he is a pressure fighter, then you might choose to outbox and outthink him.

TRD

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Dean losing that fight for the Commenweath title must have been a blow. It must have set you back a bit. What does one do to pick themselfs up and get on with the job?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Dean, I'd also like to add my thanks to you for taking the time to answer our questions, it's much appreciated and we feel fortunate to have you here.

When you took that long break from boxing, what kind of training were you doing while studying? Did you just hit the weights or did you continue to train for boxing? Did you intend to return to the ring or were you not sure?

I was also curious what was the most serious injury you have suffered while boxing?

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Dean losing that fight for the Commenweath title must have been a blow. It must have set you back a bit. What does one do to pick themselfs up and get on with the job?

It was a blow, but I know in myself that I was not 100% in the title fight, so with that in mind as far as I am concerned the setback and brief drop down the rankings (but still inside the top 10) is circumstantial and does not reflect my ability or confidence in myself to win titles in the near future. It is just a case of gritting my teeth and getting on with the job. Thankfully, the shoulder injury is now behind me and I can concentrate on doing what I do best...winning fights and winning big.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Dean, I'd also like to add my thanks to you for taking the time to answer our questions, it's much appreciated and we feel fortunate to have you here.

When you took that long break from boxing, what kind of training were you doing while studying? Did you just hit the weights or did you continue to train for boxing? Did you intend to return to the ring or were you not sure?

I was also curious what was the most serious injury you have suffered while boxing?

While away from boxing, I did the usual gym stuff, like treadmill runs and I also did a bit of weight training, although nothing heavy. it was always my plan to return to the ring though, it was just a matter of finishing up my college course, getting something solid behind me as insurance in case boxing screwed up, and then back into the sport to pick up where I left off.

The most serious injury I have had was in my IBF Intercontinental superfeatherweight title fight back in 1996. I was winning the fight by a wide margin, but collapsed in the 10th round through dehydration and exhaustion and had to spend 3 days in hospital as a result. I threw over 1000 punches in 9 rounds in that fight and punched myself out. I really went into overdrive from the first round onwards. So the pace, coupled with the fact that I was not operating at my ideal weight (I weighed a career lightest 9st 1 lbs for that fight) caused me problems in the later part of the fight. Young and naive at the time, but we learn from our mistakes.

TRD

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

It was a blow, but I know in myself that I was not 100% in the title fight, so with that in mind as far as I am concerned the setback and brief drop down the rankings (but still inside the top 10) is circumstantial and does not reflect my ability or confidence in myself to win titles in the near future. It is just a case of gritting my teeth and getting on with the job. Thankfully, the shoulder injury is now behind me and I can concentrate on doing what I do best...winning fights and winning big.

Is that the british top ten? I guess thats good beings you was out awhile to get in the top ten pretty quickly..

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Originally posted by TRD

Is that the british top ten? I guess thats good beings you was out awhile to get in the top ten pretty quickly..

Yes, the British Lightweight rankings. I entered the top 10 after only my 2nd fight back.

p.s I was also ranked in the WBO world top 15 in September before my last fight.

[Edited on 1/17/05 by DynamiteDeanPhillips]

TRD

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
That was pretty good, was that because of your previous record?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

No, I beat someone already in the top 10 (stopped Gary Hibbert)

He has since retired from boxing after our fight, but he was ranked pretty highly then.

TRD

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ah i see, how does the rankings work or is that too involved to post now?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i see on your website that at least one of your fans who saw your last fight thought you "was robbed" do you feel that your opponent got a homer call to win the fight?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Way to go, great interview. :party-smiley-018:

Dean question: The last fight you had, i know you have said you was messed around with the dates but you was carrying an injury. I know grit and determination and all that but wouldn't it have been better to call it off? As you say on another day you would batter him!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

I have no idea how they work some of these rankings systems. A lot of them are very subjective.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i see on your website that at least one of your fans who saw your last fight thought you "was robbed" do you feel that your opponent got a homer call to win the fight?

He did enough to win the fight, but it was not as clear cut as what the scoring made out. They had it to him by 118-111, but as far as I am concerned, every round, apart from the 2nd was very close and competitive. I just had the feeling that the referee could have been swayed in each round by the crowd, whom were well behind Bennett (the referee scored the fight). However, I am sure I will catch up with Bennett again in the near future.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Terminator
Way to go, great interview. :party-smiley-018:

Dean question: The last fight you had, i know you have said you was messed around with the dates but you was carrying an injury. I know grit and determination and all that but wouldn't it have been better to call it off? As you say on another day you would batter him!

I try to avoid pulling out of an agreed contest as much as possible. in fact, I have never pulled out of an agreed contest to date for any reason.

I had rested my arm from sparring for 10 days previously and thought that it had healed properly and was good to go. Looking back I should have pulled out previously, but hindsight is a great thing. At the time I thought I was doing the right thing and I still felt like I was in with a very good chance despite the injury (and I proved this by fighting a competitive fight).

[Edited on 1/18/05 by DynamiteDeanPhillips]

TRD

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

I have no idea how they work some of these rankings systems. A lot of them are very subjective.

Looks like i will have to read up on them then...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

No, it was because I beat a top 10 british title contender in only my 2nd fight back, and then I beat the former Commonwealth Lightweight champion, Michael Muya from Kenya in my 3rd fight back, hence the rapid rise up the rankings. My previous record had nothing at all to do with my ranking. As a matter of fact, i was ranked by many sources as about 40th in the British rankings after I re-entered and I had one fight back. So, no, my prevous record had nothing to do with it.

TRD

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Dean, how hard is it to get the fights against the better ranked fighters?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join