It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Pro-Boxer 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Following on from that how many times are you looking to fight? Once every few months?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Dean, how hard is it to get the fights against the better ranked fighters?

It's hard for me to get fights period. When the higher ranked fighters know of your capabilities, they tend to steer clear, and obviously most lower ranked guys, most of them are on the way through and gaining experience. Most wouldn't risk a fight against a title level contender. It's just a case of keeping at it, and trying to get a title fight or eliminator for a title fight and hope your promotion team will help steer you and come up with the right fights

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
Following on from that how many times are you looking to fight? Once every few months?

Ideally I would be fighting once every 2 months, but for reasons eplained in the previous reply above, this is not feasible. Last year I had 3 fights, finishing with a title shot on the 3rd fight. The most I have had is 5 fights in one year, and that was only because I was on the way through and nobody knew who I was and what I was capable of. it was easier to get fights then.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It must be frustrating not fighting as much as you would like. For a fighter who wants to climb up the rankings i guess they would be pretty pissed. Is it not worth fighting a lower ranked fighter just to stay busy in the ring? Or doesn't that help?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
It must be frustrating not fighting as much as you would like. For a fighter who wants to climb up the rankings i guess they would be pretty pissed. Is it not worth fighting a lower ranked fighter just to stay busy in the ring? Or doesn't that help?

It helps to stay busy fighting journeymen, but I have only ever fought a couple of journeymen in my whole career. All my fights have been meaningful learning fights against meaningful opponents. I am also waiting on my promoters to sort out a fight for me.

Sir

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have a question:

You packed in boxing for awhile, so what keeps you motivated now? You say you have a job so i might be easy to sit back and rely on that. If i had that talent in Boxing i would not have packed it in..

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
I have a question:

You packed in boxing for awhile, so what keeps you motivated now? You say you have a job so i might be easy to sit back and rely on that. If i had that talent in Boxing i would not have packed it in..

It's easy to say that, but when you have been doing the sport since the age of 5, like I have, you need a break. 5 years is a short time relatively speaking when you consider I have been involved in contact sports and the training for 24 years.

Also, the college thing was to get something solid to fall back onto. It was always my plan to return, with the added knowledge of having another career waiting for me if boxing screwed up.

It's hard to say what motivates me, because contact sports has been a way of life for me for so long. i live and breath it, it's part of who I am and always will be in some form or other. What motivates me at this precise moment is to rise to the top and be champion, and I am determined to do that.

TRD

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Dean, didn't you fancy doing any of the other contact sports you have done? And why did you pick boxing?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Dean, didn't you fancy doing any of the other contact sports you have done? And why did you pick boxing?

I have done competition karate and full contact kickboxing. I started boxing as an amateur at the same time that I was kickboxing, and I turned professional because there was very little money in kickboxing back then; you could not make a living out of it as you can professional boxing.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hows it going Dean?

Is it safe to say your bout scheduled for late Feb/early March has been postponed?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Hows it going Dean?

Is it safe to say your bout scheduled for late Feb/early March has been postponed?

The fight I was expecting does not look likely now for a while. however, I am trying other options and routes and will keep you all posted.

TRD

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Dean, my email is still not working and i'll get back to ya on the online chat in the next few days.

Are you still in training?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Dean, my email is still not working and i'll get back to ya on the online chat in the next few days.

Are you still in training?

Very much in training. I'm ready to fight, just a matter of waiting for a fight to materialise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join