It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Pro-Boxer 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The staff of SportzTawk would like to introduce a special event to all of our members and guests. We have been fortunate enough to welcome a new member to our forum, professional boxer Dynamite Dean Phillips.

Dean is from the United Kingdom and has recently resurrected his career after a 5 year layoff, in which he managed to obtain a college degree. Dean, 14-6 with 7 KO's, has a fight coming up in February which will be televised live. He has been nice enough to grant us an exclusive interview just weeks before his fight and will be available to answer any questions on the interview here on www.sportztawk.com. Again we'd like to thank Dynamite Dean for his time and without further adue, here's what he had to say......

After a 5 and a year absence from the ring what made you return?

DP: It was always my plan to return to the ring. I originally planned on taking a year out and coming back and I went back to college during that year. Things went really well in college, and the course I did led to another more important course and I ended up achieving a HND in Software Engineering.

Since your comeback what makes it different this time around and what have you
learnt?

DP: I have a wealth of experience now that I can draw upon and have learned so much from my experiences in the past. As a result I am an all round better fighter, much more rounded.

How hard was it to get back in shape on your return to the ring?

DP: I have always kept myself in trim and have always been close to my fighting weight. That is all year round. Even when I took a break from the boxing gym, I kept myself fit and in shape by doing other gym work. As soon as I got back in the boxing gym, it was only a matter of getting my timing back with sparring for a few weeks and when I did that, it was like I hadn’t been away.

Did you always dream of being a professional boxer?

DP: From a young age I could always see myself as a professional fighter. I was into 4 things as a child. Boxing, computing, snooker and music keyboards. Two of those I have made careers out of, boxing and I also have a career in I.T. However boxing has always been the number one for me; I remember watching boxing on TV as a child, and I knew that I would one day be a professional fighter. I remember being inspired by watching Mike Tyson on his awesome trail to the Heavyweight title.

Do you think that your first boxing trainer, molded you into the boxer that you
are today?

DP: No, a combination of the different people that have helped me throughout my career have molded me into the fighter I am today. Most of the development of me as a fighter has been achieved through travelling around different gyms in sparring sessions with some of the best professional fighters in Britain.

Do you still have that burning ambition to win a world title?

DP: Of course I do, every fighter dreams of winning a world title. I really believe I can do it, but know I have to take it a step at a time. I want 2005 to really propel me high up in the world stage. 2004 has been a very successful year for me, from scratch to fighting for the Commonwealth title in just 11 months. 2005 will be a whole lot better.

What sort of training are you doing on a regular basis, how often do you get to spar?

DP: I spar approaching a fight, a few weeks to 2 months before a fight. But I am always training, doing my gym work and my roadwork. I always get great sparring in Dai Gardiner’s gym here in South Wales, and have done since the early days of my career. Dai Gardiner is one of the best people that I know in this game, and he has been a great help to me.

What is a typical day on the eve of a fight for you, and what preparation do you do?

DP: Preparation the day before a fight is simply all about rest and reserving your energy. Mostly it’s a case of lying down and relaxing; definitely no training the day before a fight. After the weigh-in, which is conducted the day before the fight, it is a case of rest and eating high carbohydrate meals to top your muscles up with glycogen, ready for battle.

Your recent title shot against Kevin Bennett which resulted in a loss, would you
change anything about the way you fought?

DP: I had overtrained for that fight by about 6 weeks. I expected the fight to take place in September, and prepared for that date, but was then told that it wouldn’t be until November and kept training throughout. Because of overtraining, I tore a muscle in my left shoulder about 3 weeks before the fight, and had to take 10 days off from sparring to let it heal properly. I took a gamble with it as I thought it had healed fully come fight time, but in hindsight I should have pulled out, but hindsight is a great thing. I still thought I was in with a chance before the fight, and proved that by the way I fought, but I was far from 100% in there because of the shoulder injury. However, I have just got to put it all behind me and come back better, which I will do. But taking nothing at all away from Kevin, he fought exactly the right fight and did enough to win. However, it would be a different fight if we were to meet again and if I am not messed about with the fight dates.

Would you consider fighting outside of the United kingdom, perhaps in the United
States?

DP: I have been in talks at various stages throughout my career to fight in the States. I’d love to do that sometime, but feel I definitely have unfinished business in the UK to take care of first before I venture across the pond.

Who is your favourite boxer past and present?

DP: Mike Tyson was a fearsome fighter, and still is to an extent. I watched his fights in awe. Despite his destructive power and immense strength, he was actually a highly skilled boxer. Cus D’amato did a great job with him and you could see the amount of work Tyson put into practising his skills when he fought. On the UK scene, Nigel Benn stands out for me as one of the most feared and determined fighters of the modern era. When you watched his fights, you were guaranteed action, and often with Benn it was nailbiting stuff. With his never-say-die fighting attitude and headhunting pressure-fighting style, you were guaranteed an exciting fight.

Your next fight is in February, how do you think it will go?

DP: I see it as nothing but a win. I want to prove that the last fight has helped me develop further as a fighter and I aim to prove that with a win. However I get it, a win is most important.

On the outcome of a Victory, what is the next step for you in the ring?

DP: I will be gunning for major titles in 2005, make no mistake about that. I see the first fight back as a warmup and then challenging for a major title thereafter, whether it be British, Commonwealth or the IBO title.

Looking forward to the future if you was to win a world title, what effect would
this have on you?

DP: It would have a profound effect on me, as it is something I have always aimed to achieve. It will be like a lifelong goal for me.

On behalf of the members and staff at www.sportztawk.com we would like to thank you for taking the time out for this interview and good luck in your upcomming
fight...

DP: Thank you; thank you for the interview; much appreciated.

Related articles

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips Sportznewz Boxing profile

Websites

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips.com

Sportztawk.com

Copyright www.sportztawk.com, www.sportznewz.com 2005

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hey dynamite...welcome to sportztawk and thanks for taking the time for the interview....never having the opportunity to see you fight, how would you describe your style?......good luck in your upcoming fight

TRD

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Members are more than welcome to ask stuff about the interview questions and Dean will hopefully pop by and elaborate a bit on them.

What i would like to ask is a bit more about your training. I use to work out regular in a gym so i have done quite a bit myself.

Do you stick to the same training everytime? Also what does it consist of, leg work, chest ect ect. How long a session do you do?

Also what sort of weight are the guys you spar with and are they anyone we might know?

Cheers TRD..

Ben

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I wish you the best of luck in future events and current events. And a great new year. It has been a privalge to have done an interview with you, and the sportztawk staff looks forawrd to many new events with you. In the next couple of weeks we will have a live interview with more questions. So hold onto your other questions for now as they will be answered at another time. Still feel free to ask questions now, and open the many discussions with Dynamite Dean Phillips.

Thank You once again for choosing SportzTawk. It has been an honor.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
hey dynamite...welcome to sportztawk and thanks for taking the time for the interview....never having the opportunity to see you fight, how would you describe your style?......good luck in your upcoming fight

People would say I am a pressure fighter, but I would say I am more of a box-fighter. I never take a backward step in any of my fights though and am always looking to do real damage with my shots.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Members are more than welcome to ask stuff about the interview questions and Dean will hopefully pop by and elaborate a bit on them.

What i would like to ask is a bit more about your training. I use to work out regular in a gym so i have done quite a bit myself.

Do you stick to the same training everytime? Also what does it consist of, leg work, chest ect ect. How long a session do you do?

Also what sort of weight are the guys you spar with and are they anyone we might know?

Cheers TRD..

i basically work my upper body for 3 days of the week, and my lower (legs) for 3 days of the week, alternating between days. mon-wed-fri is in the boxing gym doing boxing training, tues, thurs, sat is on the road. Sunday off. I switch it around though to accomodate sparring. For example if I have a good sparring session planned, I would take the day before off from training to build up energy.

I spar with a variety of different weights. I have done a lot of sparring with British Featherweight champion Dazzo Williams. Throughout my career I have sparred with the likes of Steve Robinson, Robbie Regan, Floyd Havard to name a few.

[Edited on 1/11/05 by DynamiteDeanPhillips]

TRD

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I've heard of Steve Robinson...

I see you picked Nigel Benn, a favourite of mine aswell. The fight against Gerald McClellen always sticks on my mind. One of the best fights i have ever seen.

Ben

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Mike Tyson was your favorite boxer, but what did you think about Ali?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Dean....

I read your profile and you started pretty young, how hard was it to give up boxing when you did?

I see you went to college, was it hard to gain your degree?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It weems that the reason you left boxing was disillusionment over the disputed points fight. What got you over that?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
hey, thanks for doing the interview Dean.

just wondering if your fight is gonna be covered on any tv stations?

TRD

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DynamiteDeanPhillips

i basically work my upper body for 3 days of the week, and my lower (legs) for 3 days of the week, alternating between days. mon-wed-fri is in the boxing gym doing boxing training, tues, thurs, sat is on the road. Sunday off. I switch it around though to accomodate sparring. For example if I have a good sparring session planned, I would take the day before off from training to build up energy.

Doesn't sound like you take it too easy, jeeze i would be crippled after doing that for a week now...

Guess i'm not the spring chicken i used to be...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
has a final date been set for your fight in february? and in addition to the training and fighting do you have another job or are you a full time boxer?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben

Ali was a totally different type of fighter to Tyson. Whereas Ali relied on his boxing skills and other tactics to outwit and outthink his opponent, Tyson would just go in and look for the knockout and that generated excitement whenever he fought.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
Dean....

I read your profile and you started pretty young, how hard was it to give up boxing when you did?

I see you went to college, was it hard to gain your degree?

Easy, and easy again.

I was at the stage where I needed a break from the sport. i have been involved in contact sports since the age of 5, so at some point I needed some sort of diversion to keep my interest there, and I got that when I decided to break away in a slightly different direction.

I had been interested in computing since a very young age also, so choosing a course in that discipline was an easy choice to make. It was hard work during the 3 years at college, but I passed it quite easily.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
It weems that the reason you left boxing was disillusionment over the disputed points fight. What got you over that?

No, it had nothing to do with the last points loss before I left the sport. I had been experiencing contract problems and had lost interest in the sport at that point. This showed in that performance. It was definitely a fight I could, and should have won had my head been fully into it. I had eased up a lot on training too at that point...I had just fallen out of love with the sport and needed a break. Immediately after the fight I told my trainer in the dressing room that I didn't feel myself in there and was going to take a break, which I did. On a half decent day, I definitely would have stopped Steve Conway.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
hey, thanks for doing the interview Dean.

just wondering if your fight is gonna be covered on any tv stations?

I believe it wil be shown on Sky Sports here in the UK.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
has a final date been set for your fight in february? and in addition to the training and fighting do you have another job or are you a full time boxer?
]

No final date or venue has been set yet, but I believe it will be either late february or early march. i have been told by my promoters, Matchroom Sports, that the fight will definitely be in Wales though.

Sir

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DynamiteDeanPhillips

Originally posted by Ben

Ali was a totally different type of fighter to Tyson. Whereas Ali relied on his boxing skills and other tactics to outwit and outthink his opponent, Tyson would just go in and look for the knockout and that generated excitement whenever he fought.

I have to agree there Tyson was one of the most exciting fighters to watch in his early days. He was like an animal in the ring and totally ripped peoples heads off.

What i would like to ask though is that they are both totally different styles of fighters.

Dean what style catagory do you fit into? Do you have to change your style to suit certain fights? Have you modelled yourself on any fighter or just do your own thing?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply Dean.

I guess yea everyone needs a break every now and then when doing something that long.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join