It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Hot candidate Carroll says he's not interested in 49ers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
LOS ANGELES -- Southern California coach Pete Carroll, mentioned as a possible target of the San Francisco 49ers' coaching search, said Thursday that he has no interest in the job.

"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted, and I'm not interested," Carroll said.

A former 49ers assistant and later head coach of the New York Jets and New England Patriots, Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national titles.

CBS

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national titles.

That statement says it all. Why would he leave? He had little success in the NFL and now has back-to-back NCAA titles, it's a no-brainer. :smug:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
and he is obviously having a great time. I see no reason why coaches think they have to go to the NFL to be icons. Just Look at Paterno and Bowden. they don't need the NFL.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Lott, McDonald want USC's Carroll to lead Niners

Southern Cal and San Francisco 49ers alumni Ronnie Lott and Tim McDonald are among those trying to convince Trojans coach Pete Carroll to become the Niners head coach, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday.

Lott and McDonald are serving as intermediaries in an effort to bring Carroll back to San Francisco, where Carroll grew up and where he once served as defensive coordinator.

Lott and McDonald are also attempting to sell Niners owner John York on the idea of turning over the entire operation to Carroll.

Carroll, however, said last Thursday he had no interest in the job.

"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted and I'm not interested," Carroll said.

A former 49ers assistant and later head coach of the New York Jets and New England Patriots, Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national titles.

Others on San Francisco's list of candidates include current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren, a former 49ers offensive coordinator, and Jim Fassel, who took the Giants to the Super Bowl.

But there are some intriguing coordinators who have captured York's attention, as well. York met with Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel on Saturday, and the Niners are also to interview Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, son of former San Francisco caoch Dick Nolan.

Two potential sleepers are defensive coordinators Jerry Gray of the Buffalo Bills and Tim Lewis of the New York Giants. The Jets' Donnie Henderson and Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger are also in the mix.

ESPN

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I do not think Carrol should leace USC. He is not suited to be a NFL head coach, he was before you know. He like to have total control and be in an enviroment that is upswing and engergetic, the 49ers are neither. He is having the best succes at the college level why would he leave, he loves to recuit, cant so that in the pros's, makeing about the same now as he would in the pros, not to metion he won more games this seasson then the 49ers will in the next 3, he is having the time of his life, he won't leave.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
yeah, I don't know why those payers would want him to go back to the NFL, especially the 49ers. In the front office, they have gone from the cream of the crop to the scum of the bucket. That makes life hard on a coach...

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Carroll is still saying no to NFL job prospects. Thank you, Pete!

ESPN Article Link

new topics

top topics

join