It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: PFL:BOXING: Dynamite Dean Phillips Sportznewz profile

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
After five and a half years out of the 'game' Dynamite Dean Phillips is back and looking to finally make his mark in the fight game in 2005. Dean decided to call it a day in 1998 at only 22 yrs of age, after losing a six round points decision to Steve Conway.

He decided to attend college, where he gained a degree in IT after losing interest in boxing. He had become disillusioned with the sport due to contact disputes and three disputed decisions on points. In his most recent fight against Kevin Bennett for the Commonwealth (British Empire) Lightweight title, the fight ended in defeat on points. But this will not stop the man from Llanelli, Wales.

Dean Phillips started boxing at about 12 or 13; it was a natural progression for him from Full Contact Kickboxing, he cleaned up his division, winning the Welsh, British, European and World Junior Featherweight titles from the ages of 15-17. Dean had only 21 amateur boxing contests, but most of his fights were tough ones against experienced operators. In his very first fight he beat a guy who had the experience of 30ish contests. His second and third fights went the same way, and he scored a couple of stoppage wins in the next few contests before entering the amateur national championships in the UK. He did well and won the Welsh Schools Championship, and reached the British Finals in his first year of amateur boxing. After this, he was a member of the National Squad, and took part in Internationals, including winning a bronze medal in the Gaelic Games.

Stats

Date of Birth : 31 Jan 1976
Birthplace : Swansea
Hometown : Llanelli
Height : 5 ft 9 in ( 1.753 m )
Division : Lightweight
Manager : Dai Gardiner
Trainer : Dai Gardiner/Gareth Howells
Record Status : Active

Career Record

19-11-04 Kevin Bennett Hartlepool, England PTS 12
Commonwealth (British Empire) Lightweight Title
01-05-04 Michael Muya Bridgend, Wales PTS 8
28-02-04 Gary Hibbert Bridgend, Wales TKO 5
30-11-03 Nigel Senior Swansea, Wales KO 1
25-04-98 Steve Conway Cardiff, Wales PTS 6
24-01-98 Jimmy Phelan Cardiff, Wales PTS 6
19-09-96 Peter Judson Manchester, Eng, TKO 10
IBF Intercontinental Super Featherweight Title
26-04-96 Bamana Dibateza Cardiff, Wales PTS 6
16-03-96 Mike Anthony Brown Glasgow, Scot. TKO 6
20-09-95 Mervyn Bennett Ystrad, Wales PTS 6
22-07-95 Colin McMillan London, Eng. PTS 8
16-06-95 Danny Lutaaya London, Eng. TKO 2
24-03-95 Bamana Dibateza Swansea, Wales PTS 6
04-03-95 Mike Deveney Livingston, Scot. PTS 8
04-02-95 Greg Upton Cardiff, Wales PTS 6
02-11-94 Anthony Maynard Birmingham, Eng. PTS 6
21-09-94 Steve Edwards Cardiff, Wales TKO 4
27-08-94 Craig Kelley Cardiff, Wales TKO 4
23-03-94 Phil Janes Cardiff, Wales TKO 1
10-03-94 Paul Richards Bristol, Eng, PTS 6

[Edited on 20/12/04 by TRD]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
welcome to sportztawk dynamite....good to have you on board

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Welcome to Sportz, Dynamite Dean Philips!

Hope you enjoy your stay, and we're looking forward to hearing more from you, especially about your victories!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nice profile. Thanks folks, looking forward to doing the business in 2005.

btw, I am self managed.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Great to have you here Dynamite Dean, we'll all be pulling for you big time in your February bout? Is the scheduling all final for the fight?

I had a question about your training. You obviously go through strenuous physical training to prepare for a fight but how much other preparation is done such as watching tape and studying your opponent's tendencies?

Sir

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Looks like Dean has worked hard to get where he is. And to get there with only a few amatuer fights. Alot of boxers stay amatuer for quite a few years and have 80+ fights before turning pro...

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Great to have you here Dynamite Dean, we'll all be pulling for you big time in your February bout? Is the scheduling all final for the fight?

I had a question about your training. You obviously go through strenuous physical training to prepare for a fight but how much other preparation is done such as watching tape and studying your opponent's tendencies?

Besides the physical side of fight preperation, I use psychological techniques to prepare myself mentally, as boxing is very much psychological as well as physical. I don't tend to watch too much of tapes of the guy in action as that can lead to false senses of security i.e. your opponent may very well use different tactics and fight totally different to what he did on the tape that you watch!! But yes, it is a good idea to watch a tape to get a feel of his main strengths and weaknesses, just that I don't rely on that as my sole method of preparation.

[Edited on 1/9/05 by DynamiteDeanPhillips]

top topics

join