It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Washington Redskins Preview 2004

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Gibbs returns to the sideline he once masterfully patrolled, ending an 11-year hiatus from the game. The 63-year-old head coach will be charged with breathing life into a franchise that has made just one playoff appearance since his departure, while tearing down its lofty status through several ill-conceived coaching hires (Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier) and dubious player acquisitions (Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jeremiah Trotter). With the Hall of Famer in control, the Redskins are attempting to shed the disappointments of the past, all the while reaching back to reclaim a portion of their former success.

After a very disappointing 2003 season, the Redskins have made some significant changes in an attempt to turn things around quickly in 2004. Starting with new head-coach Joe Gibbs, Washington then went on to add veteran (QB) Mark Brunell and the explosive (RB) Clinton Portis. Portis is one of the best running backs in the league and will solidify the running game for the Skins who have not had a reliable runner in several years. Rounding out the offense is a strong pair of receivers in Laveranues Coles and Rod Gardner that should once again give Washington many offensive weapons.

The Insiders.com

Football About.com

Star Power: LB LaVar Arrington ( 6-3 245 ), RB Clinton Portis ( 5-11 205 )

Notable Additions: HC Joe Gibbs, S Sean Taylor ( 1st round draft choice ), QB Mark Brunell, RB Clinton Portis, LB Marcus Washington, DT Cornelius Griffin, CB Shawn Springs

Notable Subtractions: CB Champ Bailey, RB Trung Canidate, LB Jessie Armstead, LB Bruce Smith.

With the addition of Clinton Portis this off-season, the Skins' QB's primary mission is going to be to hand him the ball. Vying for that responsibility are last year's starter, Patrick Ramsey, and one of the many high-priced off-season acquisitions, Mark Brunell. While few people doubt Ramsey's potential, Brunell figures to be the favorite, as the veteran has the experience that Gibbs covets. Brunell is 34, coming off of an injury, and lost his job as a starter to rookie Byron Leftwich last year, but he still has the talent and smarts to lead an NFL offense when healthy. Ramsey is also coming off an injury, but possesses a rifle arm and has impressed people around the league with his toughness and leadership in the huddle. Given his youth and intelligence, a year on the sideline where he will be at Gibbs' side during the play-calling could serve him well. If Brunell goes down with an injury during the season, he will be more than capable of stepping in without disrupting the offense. Another starter from last year, Tim Hasselbeck should be the third QB, with Gibran Hamdan likely being offered an opportunity on the practice squad.

Another off-season move that surprised everyone was the deal that sent Pro Bowl CB Champ Bailey, widely regarded as one of the premier defensive backs in the NFL, and a second-round draft pick to the Denver Broncos for Pro Bowl RB Clinton Portis. Just 22, he already has back-to-back 1500 yd seasons and possesses a 5.5 ypc career average. Only 5-11, 205 pounds, he's not the biggest back and that played a part in him missing all or parts of several games last year. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in field vision, speed, and the ability to cutback into lanes and accelerate. The offense is going to be tailor-made to exploit all of his strengths, and he will have every opportunity to succeed. Behind Portis, Ladell Betts, Chad Morton and Rock Cartright should be the primary backups. Betts has decent size and enough speed to be effective, but has not shown much since being a second round draft pick two years ago. Morton will likely see some time on the field in passing situations in addition to his special teams' duties, while fan favorite Rock Cartright will factor in as the primary FB and perhaps as a short-yardage/goal-line back.

Wide receiver is perhaps the deepest position on the 2004 roster. Laveranues Coles will be the top target and is coming off a season in which he had 82 catches for 1204 yards and 6 TDs and made the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. He is a tireless worker in the Gibbs mold, and his efforts do not go unnoticed by his teammates. Coles is an excellent route runner, has good hands, and has the speed to get by a lot of CBs. He should be most effective catching quick slants and turning them into big gains, but defenses will also have to respect his ability to go deep. While he continues to feel the lingering effects of the foot injury that plagued him last season, Coles looks poised for another big year.

Give Gibbs credit for coming in and shaking things up, as many coaches with his Hall of Fame credentials might have assumed they could win with any personnel. Most of the changes the head coach has made appear to be for the better, with Portis and Brunell figuring to add life to the offense, and Barrow, Washington, Springs, and Daniels making an impact on the other side of the ball. Based on talent alone, you would expect the Redskins to be an eight- or nine-win team this year, which would be a marked improvement over last season's five-win output. But Gibbs' guidance could translate into another win or two, and a playoff victory is not out of the question either. They won't challenge mighty Philadelphia for the NFC East title, but the Redskins should find themselves back in the playoffs this season, with a good chance to be playing into mid-January.

Ben

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
With the new running game, and the new QB, redskins should be in the playoffs

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I would expect them to be in the playoffs, or at least close to it.

If the cards fall correctly, they migh even go to the Super Bowl, but I don't really expect that just this year...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
what a horrible game by the redskins, they got destroyed by the gaints, tehy were lucky they were still in it like they were

TRD

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Yeah not a good night for the skins, i expected better from them but they lost the Brunell in the 2nd half...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I don't think it was so much losing Brunell. Gibbs doesn't do well against the Giants. I don't know why, he just doesn't. I have always had more of a dislike for the Giants than the Cowboys for just this reason...

But 7 turnovers, you can't win a game that way. and the looked so good to start the game...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Next week, the Cowboys. Monday Night Football.

Are you ready?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Gibbs doesn't do well against the Giants. I don't know why, he just doesn't. I have always had more of a dislike for the Giants than the Cowboys for just this reason...

So do you think Gibbs will have something to say about his Skins being 1-12 in the last 13 games vs America's Team?

I knew Dallas has been dominating Washington for the last few years, I just didn't realize that we were 12-1!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That's bound to change, buddy...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
its going to be more of a defensive game, and dallas has to watch out for big Portis coming up that middle.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Portis will be the difference Monday.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ramsey likely to start for Brunell, but decison not final

Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell practiced Friday for the first time this week, taking about a third of the snaps on his strained hamstring to keep alive his chances of playing Monday night against the Dallas Cowboys.

"It's not 100 percent," Brunell said. "Sure, there's a little soreness, and it's a little tight, but it's better than yesterday; so I'm pleased with that."

Patrick Ramsey got the rest of the work. Coach Joe Gibbs has said Ramsey will probably start, but Brunell's unexpected improvement postponed the coach's final decision for at least another day.

"We'll just continue to look at it and make a decision based on what we think tomorrow," Gibbs said.

Gibbs said he might not announce a starter at all, keeping the Cowboys in suspense until kickoff Monday night.

Brunell was injured in the third quarter of last week's 20-14 loss to the New York Giants.

CBS

TRD

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Whoever we have at QB were still going to beat the Cowgirls...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How true, my friend...

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I feel like I'm reporting on a politician here...

Brunell's hamstring injury improves quicker than expected

Quarterback Mark Brunell will start for the Washington Redskins on Monday night against the Dallas Cowboys, having recovered sufficiently from a strained hamstring.

Brunell was injured in the third quarter of the Redskins' 20-14 loss to the New York Giants last week and at first was doubtful for the Cowboys game. The hamstring improved quicker than expected, however, and Brunell was back in pads on Friday.

He took most of the snaps in practice Saturday, and coach Joe Gibbs announced his decision after the practice. Brunell said the hamstring had improved every day.

The decision means that Patrick Ramsey will miss the chance for his first start of this season.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow, the Skins lost to the Cleveland Browns.

Looks like Joe Gibbs has his work cut out for him, this isn't a good Browns team at all that they lost to.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Wow, the Skins lost to the Cleveland Browns.

Time for Gibbs to go back to Nascar.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yup Gibbs definitely ain't no Parcells.

That's great. Thanks for the picture, PA.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
skins have their work cut out alright. They need to cut down on the turnovers that is how they are losing these football games. They have everything just about done but the turnovers. Turnovers are hurting them and if portis continues to fumble its going to hurt them more.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join