It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Dolphins' RB Williams retires

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
MIAMI (AP) - Ricky Williams has told the Miami Dolphins that he's retiring after just five years in the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Sunday. Williams said he was overjoyed by his decision.

"You can't understand how free I feel," Williams told the Herald in a cell phone interview Saturday before boarding a plane in Hawaii and heading to Asia to begin several months of travel.

The 27-year-old running back, who started his career with the New Orleans Saints, said he plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on Monday or Tuesday. Williams told Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision Friday and said Wannstedt tried to persuade him to reconsider. Miami opens training camp Friday.

The Dolphins acquired Williams from New Orleans for two first-round draft picks in 2002, and he led the NFL in rushing that year. Phone messages left early Sunday with two Dolphins officials and Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, weren't immediately returned.

"I have no comment," Wannstedt told the Herald when asked about Williams' retiring. "Players report Friday. Right now, it's a 10-day dead period. We'll get everybody started on Friday."

Wannstedt acknowledged talking with Williams but declined to give details of their conversation. Williams said there was no chance he would change his mind.

He said he has already told his mother Sandy, Steinberg, backup running back Travis Minor and friends and family of his decision. In May, three South Florida newspapers reported that Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for a second time since joining the Dolphins.

But his attorney, Gary Ostrow, told The Associated Press: "As far as I'm concerned, there is no violation."

Williams told the Herald his failed marijuana tests had a minor influence on his decision to retire, but was only one of many factors. It didn't cause him to retire, he said, as much as reinforce his reasons for wanting to do so. Williams' two seasons with the Dolphins have been the best of his career. He set a team record with 1,853 yards rushing in 2002. He followed that with 1,372 yards last season.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This announcement came as quite a shock. He's no doubt in the prime of his career. After only 5 seasons too, Barry Sanders at least played 10.

He said he wants to see the world and spend more time with his kids. They were also saying on Sportscenter that he doesn't like "rules" and that he has admitted to being a regular marijuana user and that he uses a "liquid" to cover up his use.

Maybe he will miss the competitiveness after being away from the game for a year and want to come back. He has obviously left a HUGE hole in the Dolphins backfield, Minor is a good player but he's not Ricky Williams. He's coming off two HUGE seasons with Miami. I wish him well.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
OUCH. My condolences to Dolphin fans. That's not a joke. This has got to hurt.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Wow, what a shock!

I certainly wish him the best in his endevours, it's his decision to do what he wants with his life.

This will make Fantasy a little more interesting this year, too

TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I guess he had a choice. The weed or his career. He has made his money and wants to enjoy himself while he still can.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
He's got all the money a person should need, properly managed. Maybe he wants to be able to play with his kids and grandkids without the use of a cane, due to the punishment to the body. I can't fault him.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Travis Minor's stock just rose tremendously.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I guess he had a choice. The weed or his career. He has made his money and wants to enjoy himself while he still can.

Hey, whatever floats his boat, right? he's not hurting anyone with that, and he didn't necessarily make his decision based on his drug habits.

TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Oh yeah Gibbs, i say good luck to him. Made his money and got out...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You cant blame him for following his desire although he knew there would be alot of criticism.

I say good for him, but if I was a Dolphins fan I would be very disappointed and probably a bit angry.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yeah, but the fans have to realize that these guys have a life outside of football, too.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Yeah, but the fans have to realize that these guys have a life outside of football, too.

True, but I'll bet Fish fans would like to have back the two first-round picks they gave up for Williams just two years ago. I wonder what the Saints ever did with those picks.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
True, but I'll bet Fish fans would like to have back the two first-round picks they gave up for Williams just two years ago. I wonder what the Saints ever did with those picks.

You don't happen to know what rounds they were, do you?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
You don't happen to know what rounds they were, do you?

The Saints traded Williams to Miami on Friday for draft picks: a first-round choice in 2002 and a third-rounder in 2003 that could escalate to a first-rounder if Williams rushes for 1,500 yards this year.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I don't see the problem. If he had been injured, re: Bo Jackson, and couldn't play anymore, nothing would be said. One thing, if he played and his heart wasn't in it, how effective would he be? Do feel sorry for Fish fans though.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, the 'Aint's picked up Dante Stallworth and Charles Grant in 2002, and since he ran for 1,853 in '02, the other was either DT Johnathan Sullivan, or traded.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Ricky's timing couldn't be worse

The timing of Ricky Williams' retirement couldn't have been worse for the Miami Dolphins.

Had Williams informed the Dolphins earlier this week of his desire to quit, they could have bid for former Titans halfback Eddie George and topped the $2.2 million the Cowboys will pay him this season. Like Williams, George is a physical running back who fits Miami's style of running.

Once the Titans lost George, they immediately signed Antowain Smith, the best back available and another possibility for the Dolphins, had they known sooner.

On Sunday morning, the Dolphins were scrambling. Former Jaguars and Texans halfback Stacey Mack is a likely target. The Dolphins called former Rams and Redskins running back Trung Canidate, who is trying to decide whether to have foot surgery, which could sideline him most of the season.

Other candidates are 32-year-old veteran James Stewart, who was released by the Lions in February, 34-year-old Dorsey Levens, and former Bengals and Saints halfback Curtis Keaton.

The problem facing the Dolphins is that they are a playoff contender dependent on great play from their running back. Miami geared everything around Ricky Williams.

Because Williams is only 27, the Dolphins didn't plan for his not being available. They did sign Sammy Morris from the Bills as a backup. Now, Morris and Travis Minor will compete for the starting job unless the Dolphins sign a back from the street.

The Dolphins' best approach, though, is to try to talk Williams out of retirement or force his hand financially.

When the Dolphins acquired Williams in a trade from the Saints, they did pick up the contract and the right to sue him if he quits early. The Saints gave him an initial signing bonus of $8.843 million, and even though the Dolphins didn't have to pay the Saints for a portion of the bonus, they do have the ability to sue for him to fulfill the contract.

If successful, the Dolphins would get a $3.3 million repayment for failure to perform. Williams is signed through 2006 and would owe the Dolphins three years.

Unfortunately for coach Dave Wannstedt, it would take time to get Williams to reconsider and it's more likely Williams won't change his mind.

In the meantime, the Dolphins have to make the best out of a bad situation.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Just watching SportsCenter and alot of Ricky's teammates are very upset with him. They said it would be one thing if he decided to do this after the season but to do this a week before training camp really put the Dolphins in a bad spot and that he basically "quit on them".

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
True, his timing was poor. Didn't give the fish much time to replace him. Maybe he'll re-consider.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
His retirement also has enormous implications on Fantasy Football.

Williams emerged as one of the most valuable running backs in the league in his first season with Miami, when he rushed for a league-high 1,853 yards. He followed that up with 1,372 yards and 10 touchdowns (nine rushing, one receiving) last season, and was ranked among the top 10 players at his position entering training camp. But for reasons unbeknownst to the fans and the Dolphins organization, Williams has given up fame and fortune to persue his own personal desires.

Now that Williams is out of the picture, owners must look to Travis Minor to cushion this gigantic blow. While he has shown potential in the past, Minor has never proved he can be a featured back at the professional level. He has rushed for 654 yards in three seasons with Miami --- 718 fewer than Williams rushed for in 2003.

Unless Minor can prove himself a viable threat in the backfield, the entire Dolphins offense will suffer. Opponents will be more apt to utilize blitz packages in certain sets, which will limit the time quarterbacks Jay Fiedler and A.J. Feeley have in the pocket. It would also allow defenses to drop back into coverage without fear of being burned on the ground. The bottom line is that defenses won't have to remain honest and can disrupt Fiedler, Feeley, Chris Chambers and David Boston on a more regular basis.

The Dolphins will bring in some competition for Minor in the form of a veteran free agent like James Stewart, Stacey Mack or Trung Canidate, so don't expect the Florida State product to be a true featured back. At 5-foot-10, 205 pounds, Minor doesn't have the frame to be a power runner and will be replaced in many short yardage and goal line sets. That means fewer touchdowns opportunities, which limits his value to owners. In a best-case scenario, he will be worth an early- to middle-round selection as a No. 2 or 3 back.

www.sportsline.com...

For those of us interested in fantasy football, this will definitely have an impact in fantasy leagues. He would be a top 10 pick in any draft IMO, if not top 5.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join