It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Departing Dallas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Dallas Mavericks free agent guard Steve Nash reached a verbal agreement Thursday night to sign with the Phoenix Suns, ESPN.com's Marc Stein has learned.

Nash and agent Bill Duffy, according to league sources, received an offer from Phoenix on Thursday -- believed to be a five-year package worth more than $65 million with a partial guarantee for the sixth season -- and brought it back to the Mavericks.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, sources said, declined to match the offer.

"It's exciting, but it's also a little bittersweet," Nash told ESPN.com. "I am really sad to leave my teammates, but I am glad to be going somewhere where they really wanted me."

According to sources, after giving the Suns a verbal commitment, Nash immediately phoned longtime teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley to break the news.

Mavericks sources said Cuban was reluctant to give Nash more than a four-year guaranteed contract because of fears the 30-year-old couldn't physically handle no more than 32 minutes per game.

No deals can be formally signed until July 14, when the salary cap for next season is set. Teams and free agents can only reach verbal agreements during the league's two-week moratorium on signings and trades.

Nash had met with Cuban in Dallas on Wednesday morning and then was greeted by a traveling Suns delegation that included chairman Jerry Colangelo, son and team president Bryan Colangelo, new owner Robert Sarver and forward Amare Stoudemire, a client of Duffy's.

Wednesday, Duffy said, "It was a good meeting [with Cuban]. Mark made it very clear that re-signing Steve is a priority."

The Suns originally drafted Nash in 1996 and he never sold his home in the Phoenix area.

Bringing in Nash eliminates the Suns from the Kobe Bryant derby. On Wednesday night, it was reported that Phoenix was prepared to offer Bryant a six-year deal worth over $100 million.

Edited title misspelling.

[Edited on 2-7-2004 by ProudAmerican]

[Edited on 7/17/2004 by William]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If I were him, I'dsettle for Dallas, they must have a better chance.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Aye Gibbs, but that's not the way these things work it pro sports. They be in it for the money, the money and third on the list is the teams chances of winning.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yeah, but winning means more money...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Show Me The Money !!!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!:

Well if Dallas doesn't get Shaq, which is still a possibility, Phoenix with Nash, Marion, and Stoudamire is scary good and better than Dallas, in my opinion. So Nash made the right decision.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!:

Well if Dallas doesn't get Shaq, which is still a possibility, Phoenix with Nash, Marion, and Stoudamire is scary good and better than Dallas, in my opinion. So Nash made the right decision.

I totally agree

Ben

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
its all about money

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

YEah, but I'm sure coban will come up with what he needs to land Shaq, and keep nowitski. Nash should stay in the mix there...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Shaq and Dirk would make for an awesome 2/3 of a frontcourt.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Shaq and Dirk would make for an awesome 2/3 of a frontcourt.

Yeah, that's why I'm saying Nash should stay in Dallas. I know I would.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

YEah, but I'm sure coban will come up with what he needs to land Shaq, and keep nowitski. Nash should stay in the mix there...

I don't think that's going to happen. I think Kupchak is going to hold out for Dirk or no deal so Nash did make the right decision in going to Phoenix.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So you're saying Fox that there's no chance that Shaq and Dirk will play side by side then if Mitch wont budge.

Are they talking about a one-for-one deal or would it be Dirk and players for Shaq?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Dirk and players I think.

Either that or Dirk and $$$

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm tellin ya, Cuban will find a way to work it out. As the saying goes, money talks, and Mark's got a lot of that to go around, he'll get it done.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

So you're saying Fox that there's no chance that Shaq and Dirk will play side by side then if Mitch wont budge.

Are they talking about a one-for-one deal or would it be Dirk and players for Shaq?

No, I don't think Dirk and Shaq will be playing side-by-side.

However, I do think Cuban will change his mind about Dirk and let him go to the Lakers provided a 3rd team can get involved (and at this point you almost have to believe some third team will get there). Example, if New York gets involved, they could trade Allan Houston to Dallas with Shaq and you've got your inside-outside combo right there with Dirk going to the Lake Show.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
That would work ourt well, I'm sure that Mark will come up with something, like I've said.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well in the end, like I said great move by Nash.

Dallas, right now, until they make their next big trade isn't a top 4 West team I think.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't know about that Fox, take a careful look at their line-up. It's not the same, but it's pretty impressive.

Dirk Nowitzki
Michael Finley
Jerry Stackhouse
Josh Howard
Marquis Daniels
Devin Harris
Antoine Walker

And decent role players in Bradley, Fortson, Najera and that Podkolzine guy - assuming he's all he's cracked up to be.

The T-Wolves & Spurs will be above them, but who else? The Kings possibly, the Lakers unlikely, I still think the Rockets have too weak a supporting cast and the Suns need time to gel.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
i agree w/ massiv the suns need time to gel but they will still have a good season this year b/c of how unselfish nash is. give them a yr or 2 and they will become a good contender. the mavericks have a good pg w/ harris and he'll make a good impact this yr but i have a feeling that in a few yrs he will fade a tyronne lue or speedy claxton.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join