It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Klitschko to Face Sanders in Title Bout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Associated Press - February 26, 2004

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) - Top contender Vitali Klitschko will face Corrie Sanders on April 24 for the heavyweight title made vacant by the retirement of Lennox Lewis, Klitschko's promoter said Thursday.

The site for the fight has yet to be decided, but promoter Peter Kohl said both fighters have agreed to terms.

Klitschko will be seeking more than just the WBC heavyweight title. His brother, Wladimir, was knocked out by Sanders last February, in a startling upset.

Wladimir Klitschko is scheduled to fight Lamon Brewster in Las Vegas on April 10 for a lightly regarded version of the heavyweight title.

The WBC title was left vacant when Lewis retired earlier this month. Vitali Klitschko was beating Lewis last June in Los Angeles but lost the fight when he was stopped on cuts after six rounds.

Sanders, from South Africa, knocked out Wladimir Klitschko in the second round last March in Hanover, Germany, but hasn't fought since. The 38-year-old Sanders is 39-2 with 29 knockouts.

Lewis is now director of the management company representing Sanders.

The Klitschko brothers are Ukrainians based in Germany, although recently they have spent much time in Los Angeles, where they are working with former Lewis trainer Emanuel Steward.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sanders is going down. Vitali is not Wlademir.

TRD

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
Sanders is going down. Vitali is not Wlademir.

This is what i was basically saying in another thread,Klitschko WILL take the title.I'm not sure how long he will hold on to it for but he will win.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This would be interesting. I maybe wrong but there hasn't been a white champion since Max Schmeling. They could really ride this one. The largest pay-per view was Cooney vs ?, Tyson, I think. They like to play up that race thing. They(promoters) may decide to keep Klitchko around a long time.

TRD

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I never looked at it that way,it could be a possibility.They had Tommy Gun Morrison down as the great white hope,he had a pretty impressive record but went off the rails.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
That's what I mean a reverse trend. Like you said in the other tread, "what's there?" They may use Vitali until the division strengthens.

TRD

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's right,i mean at the moment there is not that many good fighters left in the H/W div.Vitali is quite a useful boxer and he can take a punch well,with the right promoting he could stay around for a long time.

But if he was to lose to Sanders where would it leave him? A rematch would be on the cards but sanders might not want it straight away.

Sir

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Interesting,it's about time a white heavyweight dominated the division.Maybe the 2 bro's could do it together? Although i don't rate Wlademir that much.

new topics

top topics

join