It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bears have stopped hibernating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
if its not global warming, what is it?!

Bears have stopped hibernating in the mountains of northern Spain, scientists revealed yesterday, in what may be one of the strongest signals yet of how much climate change is affecting the natural world.

In a December in which bumblebees, butterflies and even swallows have been on the wing in Britain, European brown bears have been lumbering through the forests of Spain's Cantabrian mountains, when normally they would already be in their long, annual sleep.

Many of the 130 bears in Spain's northern cordillera - which have a slightly different genetic identity from bear populations elsewhere in the world - have remained active throughout recent winters, naturalists from Spain's Brown Bear Foundation (La Fundación Oso Pardo - FOP) said yesterday.

www.commondreams.org...

if you think thats scary news, sooner or later global waming will have a bigger effect on humans too. comments?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
God is coming soon and this proves it! If you study the Bible you will see that the end is filled with danger. Also no offence,

[edit on 28-12-2006 by asala]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   
It's a disturbing sign. Add to that, the birds not flying south for winter (this might be good against the spreading of bird flu though). And insects not dying before winter but suddenly decides to be present all-year-round. Maybe we'll see an explosive rise in amount of insects soon? Birds eat insects too, so maybe that's why they stay (food all-year-round). Maybe this will mess up the whole system? In Denmark (and probably lots of other places too) lots of insects are still alive for the first time ever in December. Insects which usually die in October. Soon it will be New Years Eve and I've personally seen some of these insects as late as today. This could be good or bad. It will have an impact one way or another, I'm sure. But what if winter suddenly decides to strike with full force in January? We'll see...

There are also plants popping up in Denmark and Norway now. Plants which usually pop up in spring time...

[edit on 2006/12/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elemist
God is coming soon and this proves it! If you study the Bible you will see that the end is filled with danger. Also no offence, but so far I have read two of your postes and you don't seem that bright.

everybody has good days and everybody has bad days too friend!

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   

you don't seem that bright.

Originally posted by conspiracymaster

everybody has good days and everybody has bad days too friend!

And me too I guess, as I didn't even notice this comment. Hey elemist, that was not a nice thing to say. You are new here. In these forums we go after the ball and not after the player. Be nice!

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Also no offence, but so far I have read two of your postes and you don't seem that bright.

We really don't try to make it a show here of putting down other ATS members. Everyone cannot be of the same level of brilliance but we all look for the truth. The hard part is finding the common ground and losing the sense of self importance.

[edit on 28-12-2006 by ben91069]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Ok, lets move on. On topic, please.

The topic:

"bears have stopped hibernating"

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If these bears don't hibernate, that means they choose not to since food is becoming available year-round, which is almost certainly good for them.

The problem lies in the Polar Bears that are dependent on ever-shrinking arctic seas ice to alllow them to hunt. Reports of drowned bears and very thin bears are becoming more and more prevalent.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
If these bears don't hibernate, that means they choose not to since food is becoming available year-round, which is almost certainly good for them.

The problem lies in the Polar Bears that are dependent on ever-shrinking arctic seas ice to alllow them to hunt. Reports of drowned bears and very thin bears are becoming more and more prevalent.

thats what im worried about... polar bears being extinct. i dont know what kind of impact their extinction could have... but its probably not good.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

i dont know what kind of impact their extinction could have... but its probably not good.

I don't know what the exact impact would be. But they do eat seals. There might be too many seals. Seals eat fish. More seals eat more fish, etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, for one I didn't know they had bears in northern Spain, but my ignorance aside I would look for other data regarding bears doing this in other locations.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Sorry about the statement. But it really is a sign of the end.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Also, I am not new here. I have three accounts. I am the one who destroied part of this site a few months ago. I didn't mean to, however.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
elemist be sure to post something related to the topic of the thread you are in...
peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
In Britain we too have had the warmest December for a generation, spring plants sprouting, Insects surviving etc... I was told tho by a elderly gentleman that the same thing happened in 1962/3

A very mild December followed by winter in force

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

However this started on boxing day.. 28th Today and i'm still waiting for the change...

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Did you know that bears don't hibernate?
At leaast not true hibernation
They sleep longer and more often, but can awaken at the drop of a hat.

A true hibernator lowers many body functions, temperature, heart rate.
many to near freezing.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Man living in Florida has realy screwed up my sense of the seasons. But this is disturbing. Especialy the part about new plants sprouting in winter. That in and of itself is a clear danger sign in my book.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Apparently, plants are blooming in Russia as well. One theory is that this was "orchestrated" by a strong anticyclone over Greenland...

RIA Novosti: Record number of dangerous natural phenomena hits Russia in 2006

28/ 12/ 2006

"The year also ends unusually with the abnormally warm weather in late November and early December, when plants even began to bloom in some areas," Vilfand said.

But Vilfand said this year's unusually warm start of winter in Russia should not be associated with global warming. Rather, he said, the reason for this year's unusual weather was a strong anticyclone over Greenland, which 'orchestrated' the weather over European Russia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/12/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
All I can say is wow!

Put all the information together on this thread alone , and it does not paint a very good picture.

I wonder what the weather conditions will be like in 20, 50 or 100 years from now.

I remember years ago, when the issue of global warming was becoming known (At least that is when I first heard about it). As I live in Chicago where we have pretty cold winters, I remember laughing about the claims they were making at the time of global warming. We were having something like -30 degree F wind chill factor temperatures around that time, which is not uncommon for Chicago winters.

But with all of the information and temperature data from a wide area, the picture becomes more clear.

edit = clarity

[edit on 12/28/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

thats what im worried about... polar bears being extinct. i dont know what kind of impact their extinction could have... but its probably not good.

It appears you're not the only one worrying about it.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
It says in the article that the polar bears might be getting "federal protection".
In my opinion, ANY attention from the present administration is a dangerous thing.
They'll probably re-locate the polar bears to Mexico!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join