It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

To be fair, we look a bit light because we are missing Lucas and we don't have anyone in the squad who can play his role. Young Jay is probably the closest, but is a few levels below.

We need pace on the flanks, a real midfield general and a striker who can score 25-30 goals a season.
Suarez is a great player, but as I said when we signed him, he is more of a Dalglish than a Rush - a provider and unlocker of defenses rather than a true striker or "fox in the box"

I don't think we are too far off being a very good side, but it's imperative we buy the right players in the summer, and that means abandoning the buy british policy of last summer.
I know in some respects we had to, due to the homegrown rule, but in the coming summer we absolutely must buy better.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Couldn't agree more mate.

Roll on the summer

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Interesting view from Barnes...

John Barnes
edit on 14/2/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I reckon in the summer we should buy eden hazard and also david villa even though he has a broken leg.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Interesting view from Barnes...

John Barnes
edit on 14/2/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Digger did a superb article in the Times, and has ripped Barclay apart on talksport and a couple of other shows.

In fact, he's banging the same drum I have been for years.

All this faux outrage is simply down to the media climbing up fergusons backside again.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LOUDOGG
I reckon in the summer we should buy eden hazard and also david villa even though he has a broken leg.

Hazard maybe but villa? not a chance. For one thing he doesn't fit into FSG's recruitment policy, and for another he will be approaching the end of his career soon and would not represent value in any way, shape or form.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by LOUDOGG

Hazard maybe but villa? not a chance. For one thing he doesn't fit into FSG's recruitment policy, and for another he will be approaching the end of his career soon and would not represent value in any way, shape or form.

Fair enough but we could do with another striker really.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I see this thread has gone quiet...

So on this of all days i would like to make sure everyone remembers the 96.
May they rest in peace and may justice be served.

Don't buy the sun

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by uptheirons!
I see this thread has gone quiet...

So on this of all days i would like to make sure everyone remembers the 96.
May they rest in peace and may justice be served.

Don't buy the sun

Well said, totally with you.

Here's hoping the families of the 96 get justice as soon as possible.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Absolutely legendary hat-trick. Well done Luis!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Was a fantastic Hat-Trick... truly great.

And look what's breaking news right now (and the last few hours)

Roy Hodgson... meeting the FA at Wembley now.... in talks to be Next England Manager, to be confirmed within next 24-48 hours.

Everyone thought Redknapp.... I guess experience, Hodgson wins... but man, Is he boring.

Oh well... as they said on the news, the best thing about him getting the job will be that he lowers expectations.

That's the BEST thing about him getting the job?

*sigh*

Who else is there really?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

BRING ON THE CHELSEA!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Guh, maybe another time.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
To be fair to Liverpool they actually played pretty well towards the end of the game there, particularly when Andy Carroll came on. The game should've gone to extra time for sure but unfortunately (for you guys anyway) Chelsea really do have one hell of a goalkeeper.

Definitely unlucky for Liverpool there..

And I'm an Arsenal fan btw, I still really dislike both of you.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So It's official.... "King Kenny" has been sacked.... I'm sure it was "out of his control"

So..... WHO can/should/will we get as manager?

Who do you guys want?

Who do you think should or will get it?

I think the owners have made some bold moves and statements in the recent "removal" of some key people at Anfield.

Let's see what happens next.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If you've got some 'info' mate shop around for value prices - Martinez seems to be first or second favourite with most bookies with Villas-Boas and Benitez both heavily tipped as well.

If they have the financial resources I'd bust a gut and try my best to get Guardiola, Ancelloti might not be a bad alternative.

I think it could be good to give a young, British manager a chance at a big club - Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert would both love the opportunity to manage a club the size of Liverpool and I think they both have what it takes to be a success.....shame there's no young, English manager that springs to mind.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What a mess.
Rafa is my first choice, then Hiddink.
Don't want to see Martinez in charge, i think he'd be another Woy.

Tell you what though, I ain't spending another penny on the club until I calm down after this.
It's a fiasco and a crappy way to treat Kenny.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

If you've got some 'info' mate shop around for value prices - Martinez seems to be first or second favourite with most bookies with Villas-Boas and Benitez both heavily tipped as well.

Well I've been looking at the prices the the last few days and It's crazy man.
Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have both been anything from 200's to 40/1

Oh man....

I don't trust any of it at the moment.

Roberto Martinez wont be offered the job and neither will Rafa.... although oddly enough, I kinda wouldn't mind him back.... now that we have decent owners and people who seem to want to take the club forward and are prepared to invest and so on.

I doubt Villas-Boas either but they have spoken to him, although it seems he wont be the man either.

If they have the financial resources I'd bust a gut and try my best to get Guardiola, Ancelloti might not be a bad alternative.

Well I can't see Pep giving up all that at Barca to come to Liverpool.... I mean he literally said I don't wanna manage Barca any more and want a break... I don't think he meant I want to go to the madhouse that is Anfield.

I wouldn't mind though, just the kinda person we could do with.

I'd prefer Hiddink I think to Ancelloiti... But I dunno.

I think it could be good to give a young, British manager a chance at a big club - Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert would both love the opportunity to manage a club the size of Liverpool and I think they both have what it takes to be a success.....shame there's no young, English manager that springs to mind.

Well both have been mentioned and both are pretty far down the betting list, in terms of price anyway.

I suppose good young English could be Nigel Adkins..... but I honestly think (much in the way that Martinez is not really wanted by fans) the fans want a big name.... a big, blockbuster name for our big club.
I would be all in favour of a young Manager, a young British manager... rather than big, European name.... but I don't think they'd get the time, nobody does now.

You bring in someone and realistically you'd have to give them at LEAST 2 full seasons... but to be fair and have any impact what so ever, it would have to be more like 4-5.... but nobody gets that these days... nobody seems to have time to wait and see what will happen and whether someone can transform a club into something good and bring in their own players and put their stamp on it.

I dunno.

Football is now an extremely fickle business.... if Fergie took over united these days, if it had happened now, he would never be given the 6 years it took him to win the league, to turn the club around and bring in his players.

We will never find another manager or allow a manager to become that successful because we don't give them time.

Oh well.

I just hope the owners don't bow to press pressure and appoint someone (Like they did with Roy Hodgson) just because everyone says they should.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
What a mess.
Rafa is my first choice, then Hiddink.
Don't want to see Martinez in charge, i think he'd be another Woy.

Well can't say I disagree with your choices but can't see either of them being our next manager.

Tell you what though, I ain't spending another penny on the club until I calm down after this.
It's a fiasco and a crappy way to treat Kenny.

Well Kenny was just what we needed when Hodgson was released, he came in, picked the club up and got some belief and fight back in the players.
He'd been out of management for 10-12 years so clearly wasn't going to be our manager... just someone to come in and be a big lift to everyone... right? RIGHT?

BUT

That was it, end of the season, job done.... Kenny should move on, we get new, permanent manager...sorted.

That never happened and Kenny was given the job Full time.... that was a mistake.
He was not the right man for the job long term, he was just a stop-gap, a boost until we DID get the right man.

So yet again, we have been set back another few seasons, a club legend has been hurt needlessly and the players are yet again, clueless about their future and unsure what is going to happen to the club.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Can't fault what you said there mate.

I know football has changed etc and all that but the most alarming thing of all, especially from a Liverpool point of view, is that if Bill Shankley were around now he would have no chance of being appointed Liverpool manager let alone being given the time to develop his team and the club.

The new Bill Shankley's and Alex Ferguson's aren't being given a chance by the top clubs.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Old Trafford when Fergie eventually calls it a day.

Personally I like Paul Lambert and think he has the potential to be a really top class manager.

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join