It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: shootouts deciding games....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
sorry to bring up a sore subject but how does everyone feel about shootouts deciding big games....they would be very exciting to watch but i think that these are big boys playing in big games and they should continue in a sudden death overtime till there is a winner....did i read where beckham missed 2 penalty kicks? if this is correct will it hurt his popularity?

TRD

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Beckham has missed his last 3 for England and skyed one over the bar against Portugal..

Well i think there is not much choice on how to end the game. They have the silver goal and golden goal endings.

Silver goal - after 90 mins they play 15mins each way. If a goal is score in the first 15 min period. At the end of that period the team in front wins. If not then they play out the last 15 mins. If still a tie then a penaty shootout.

Golden goal - Nearly the same as silver but when the first goal is scored then that team wins.

My opinion is that they should do away with the penaltie's. I know it's exciting and all that but they play all that time to just end it with one kick of a penalty. They should just play out until someone scores a goal. (golden goal).

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Absolutely. Its like playing a whole game for nothing and ending it with a skills competition. To find out who the better team is shouldn't all the players be involved?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The thing is, these are TEAM sports. Why decide a game when everyone but 2 people are in the play. Doesn't make sense to me. Hate shootouts.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
We're still sore about the Nagano olympics.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlsberg
We're still sore about the Nagano olympics.

Hasek must die!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Can't wait till the Leafs beat them in the playoffs again. No shoot-out to save him there.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
GO LEAFS GO

:bounce: :bounce:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
GO LEAFS GO

:bounce: :bounce:

HA HA HA LMAO didn't think I would EVER see that here.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
YEAH !!!!!

Introductions..... Darcy, Dominick, Dominick, Darcy

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
My opinion is that they should do away with the penaltie's. I know it's exciting and all that but they play all that time to just end it with one kick of a penalty. They should just play out until someone scores a goal. (golden goal).

What your saying is that the avg premiership game should be increased so that one team scores a goal. This would be no different than a submission wrestling match where after 20 minutes the crowd gets restless and starts to boo the fighters, as seen in early UFC. More playing time on the field would also increase the likelihood of an injury.

IMO the bottom line remains that penalties are exciting. The players want to go home and prepare for the next match. There's a match per week in the premiership not including practices, Champions League matches, FA cup, International matches, etc. Add the extra time on, and you'll have the players rioting in the streets. Go figure. The fans also wouldn't be happy, neither would the team management, especially with the limited amount of substitutions that the manager can play around with.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Websurfer that is great and all that but....

What your saying is that the avg premiership game should be increased so that one team scores a goal. This would be no different than a submission wrestling match where after 20 minutes the crowd gets restless and starts to boo the fighters, as seen in early UFC. More playing time on the field would also increase the likelihood of an injury.

In the Premier League and other leagues we DON'T have penalty's. You either win or draw, thats it finished 90 mins of football. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. Same for ALL league football in every country.

The players want to go home and prepare for the next match. There's a match per week in the premiership not including practices, Champions League matches, FA cup, International matches, etc. Add the extra time on, and you'll have the players rioting in the streets. Go figure.

The same amount of time would be played on the golden goal, maybe less.

One of the only times penalty's decide the outcome of a game is in tournament International matches. But they play the silver goal first where their is 15 mins each way and if a goal is scored in the first 15 mins then it ends. A goal in the second 15 mins and they play the time out. Penalty's only occur if it is a draw still after the silver goal period. They did do the golden goal for awhile so it's not a new thing, if you did away with the silver goal period and went straight into the golden goal then it is no different. In most instances a goal would be scored within the half hour. So they would still be playing for the same amount of time as if it would be decided on the silver goal and penalty's. As you would have half an hour of play and then the time it would take to do the penalty's. So to get a Golden Goal you would have say..a good 45 to 50 mins to get a goal and end the match.

So that just blew your opinion out of the water.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Terminator

In the Premier League and other leagues we DON'T have penalty's. You either win or draw, thats it finished 90 mins of football. 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. Same for ALL league football in every country.

We're talking about a recent decision passed by FIFA that no game will end in a draw. Should it go to draw, then it will directly go to penalty kicks. You won't see it till the start of next season premiership.

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Eh?

That would never happen in English league football or any other league football for that matter. They would have to totally re-invent the scoring system and format and it would never work, as you could only win or lose. The league scoring system is 3 points win, 1 point draw, 0 points lose as you would know. If you could only get points for a win you could end up with 10 teams all on the same points...

I can't see it happening in the champions league either. As the early rounds are played in a group league format. The teams play each other twice and if they won one and lost one all 4 teams in the group would be on the same points.

I could see it happenening to knockout games like quarter finals onwards but not before that stage as most rounds before that consist of group stages.

It could happen in domestic cup games aswell as most of them are one off games and if its a draw then they play a replay. But saying that, it would be a bad thing as smaller teams that are in these cups would lose out on revenue if they are playing a bigger side. If they manage to get a draw they would earn the extra money for a replay.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
hold on

[Edited on 7/21/04 by websurfer]

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
*tap tap* waits................

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
didn't see the reply there
lol I heard it mentioned on Sky Sports News, but I admit to misinterpreting it.

Law 10 Method of Scoring: With regard to the method for determining the winner of a match, the IFAB ruled in favour of extra-time, consisting of two periods of no more than 15 minutes each, followed by kicks from the penalty mark. As a result, matches will no longer be decided by golden goal or silver goal.

other changes found here

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ahhh i thought i was going mad lol!

Yeah i'm pretty sure this is for just International games like the world cup and the euro championships. Maybe as i said for the quarter finals onwards in the champions league and the uefa cup.

It's not a bad idea as a team could have outpayed another side in normal time only to go out by a freaky goal in the silver or golden goal periods. At least they have the extra 30mins to try to win the game.

new topics

top topics

join