It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blended metal bullets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   

In a brief but intense firefight, Thomas hit one of the attackers with a single shot from his M4 carbine at a distance he estimates was 100 to 110 yards.

He hit the man in the buttocks, a wound that typically is not fatal. But this round appeared to kill the assailant instantly.

?It entered his butt and completely destroyed everything in the lower left section of his stomach ... everything was torn apart,? Thomas said.

*snip*

The frangible APLP ammo will bore through steel and other hard targets but will not pass through a human torso, an eight-inch-thick block of artist?s clay or even several layers of drywall. Instead of passing through a body, it shatters, creating ?untreatable wounds.?

www.armytimes.com...

Blended metal bullet vs. roastbeef, guess who wins: pws.chartermi.net...

That video of the bullet hitting the beef is amazing. Imgine the damage it could do to a human head.

[Edited on 1-12-2003 by Paradigm]

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sounds like glaser rounds. They are fragmentary rounds that seperate upon penetration. Nasty rounds. These sound even nastier though.

Beef...it's not just for dinner anymore.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thats a funny way to die. It's a nice story he can tell his grandkids.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
1. This makes me sick!

2. In Nam then standard 5,56x45mm (.223) ammo actually had same effects..

I have read medical reports.. that included these 'butt shot' type of incedents and results..

About civilians shot in butt ending up with no stomach.. and dead..

Nothing special here.. move along people..

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I agree fulcrum. It is rather disturbing to watch. Sure that is a pot roast, but it could just have easily been somebodies head.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
With all the enemies the US has it has to get really tough.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Wow that would scare the absolute # out of any enemies goign against those who use this.

They wouldn't want to be shot even once with omething like that. scary.

Well they wouldn't want to be shot at all...but if they get shot...they would be gone. It's basically kill them or die.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I dont fully understand how it will shatter when hitting a body but when hitting steel. Call me dumb but that makes no sense to me.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Look, the American military has alot of money. Conversely it is notoriously cheap. Bullets are one of the things they aren't going to spend alot of money on.

A boat tailed ball round in 5.56 mm is light enough to be deflected by something hard like bone, say a human pevis.. If you shoot someone in the buttocks you stand a good chance of hitting them in the pelvis and then having that little high velocity demon playing boll weevil with your large and small intestines.

Additionally, the shape and size of the pelvis could actually prevent the bullet from passing through the body

I truly doubt that the US is going to make special bullets just to shoot people in the buttocks to kill them. The ones they have seem to work just fine.

hrxll

btw last time I cut one apart a standard ball round was a copper jacket around a lead core, so I guess that can classify as a "blended metal" bullet. Sigh...

[Edited on 1-12-03 by HerExcellency]

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Forget what it would look like hitting someones head.... Get shot in the head with any kind of bullet of larger calliber such as 7.62 and others and you wont have much of a head left either.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The most important part of the article was the mention of use with SOCOM. For anti-terrorist raids in close quarters a bullet of this nature would be invaluable, and would save lives.(On our side at least) An average grunt shouldn't have access, a discharge would have repurcussions far greater than the average troop would expect

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This bullet is notoriously quircky in behavior upon entering a target. I know of an incident where the bullet entered a victims right shoulder and exited through the left index finger. The round is designed to fragment upon impact, it acts sort of like a rotating buzz saw upon impact.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The 5.56 NATO round is standard ammo for the M-16, regardless of branch or specialty. Special Forces are not going to use a different round in their carbines, unless it is a tracer or armor piercing round. I don't think they use either very often.

top topics

join