It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Week 2 notable injuries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Browns lose Winslow to broken leg, maybe DE Brown

Kellen Winslow Jr. will miss at least two months with a broken right leg, and the Cleveland Browns might keep the rookie tight end out for the rest of the season.

Winslow broke his fibula -- a bone in his lower leg -- trying to recover an onside kick late in Sunday's 19-12 loss at Dallas.

The first-round draft pick will have surgery Tuesday and might need screws and plates inserted in the leg, Browns trainer Mike Colello said Monday.

The team expects Winslow to make a full recovery in eight to 10 weeks, but coach Butch Davis said the team has considered placing him on injured reserve.

Another injured tight end, Steve Heiden, is expected to return to practice this week.

In addition, the Browns are bracing for possibly bad news on defensive end Courtney Brown, who suffered a mid-foot sprain -- the latest injury for the former No. 1 overall draft pick.

Colts star James doubtful with hamstring injury

Edgerrin James, the Indianapolis Colts' top running back, strained his hamstring in Sunday's victory against Tennessee and may miss this week's game against Green Bay.

James was hurt on a 30-yard run that ended with him diving into the end zone. The score sealed the Colts' 31-17 come-from-behind victory at Tennessee. Indianapolis ran just one more offensive play -- a kneeldown.

Coach Tony Dungy said James did not believe the injury was serious.

"He thinks he's fine," Dungy said. "But the MRI shows some damage in there. If he had to go today, I would say he's doubtful."

Bears lose big-play safety Brown for season

Chicago Bears safety Mike Brown will miss the rest of the season after tearing his right Achilles tendon in a victory over Green Bay, coach Lovie Smith said Monday.

Brown, who scooped up a fumble and returned it 95 yards for a TD Sunday to spark the Bears' 21-10 win over the Packers, was injured in the closing minutes at Lambeau Field.

He was carried off the field on a cart with his head covered by a towell.

Cowboys lose rookie RB Jones to broken shoulder

Cowboys rookie running back Julius Jones broke his left shoulder and is expected to be out about two months.

Coach Bill Parcells said Monday he didn't know exactly when Jones was injured during a 19-12 win over Cleveland on Sunday.

"I'm sad to lose the player, sorry for him," Parcells said.

Saints' McAllister knocked out of game with ankle sprain

New Orleans Saints running back Deuce McAllister was knocked out of Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers with a sprained right ankle and was not expected to return.

On McAllister's third carry, he was tackled by Bryant Young and fumbled. He stayed on the Superdome turf for some time after the 49ers recovered the ball.

McAllister walked off the field. On the sideline, a trainer wrapped his leg in ice before loading him onto a cart for the trip to the locker room. X-rays were negative.

He's expected to be out 5-6 weeks

Dolphins' DT Chester lost for season with knee injury

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Larry Chester will miss the rest of the season because of a torn ligament in his right knee, his agent said Monday.

Chester was injured in the first quarter of Sunday night's 16-13 loss in Cincinnati. He was able to walk off the field unassisted, but an MRI performed at halftime revealed the ligament tear, said Chester's agent, David Levine.

Ravens' Heap to miss 2-4 weeks with ankle injury

Tight end Todd Heap will miss two to four weeks with a sprained right ankle, the latest in a series of injuries that has forced coach Brian Billick to dig deep in the Baltimore Ravens' depth chart.

Heap, a two-time Pro Bowler, led the Ravens in receptions in each of the past two seasons and has a team-high 12 catches this year. The injury occurred Sunday late in the second quarter of the Ravens' 30-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Broncos DL standout Pryce to have tests on back

Broncos defensive end Trevor Pryce had an MRI on his lower back Monday to determine the severity of nerve damage that kept him out of Denver's loss to Jacksonville.

Pryce, a four-time Pro Bowler who had 8½ sacks last season, decided to sit out the 7-6 loss to the Jaguars on Sunday after warming up and realizing he had very little strength in his legs.

Jets DL Evans to have surgery; Mawae, Cowart hobbled

Jets defensive end Josh Evans will have back surgery and is out indefinitely, while Sam Cowart has a sprained left knee ligament and center Kevin Mawae has a broken finger that leaves their status in doubt for their Oct. 3 game against Miami.

Evans, a backup to Dewayne Robertson, has been bothered by lower back pain for the last three weeks. He was limited in the opener against Cincinnati, finishing with no tackles, and didn't play Sunday against San Diego.

The 32-year-old Evans came into the season with high hopes after missing 10 games last year while serving a suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy a third time. Coach Herman Edwards said Evans will be out at least five weeks.

Cowart was injured just before halftime against the Chargers. He will undergo an MRI exam later Monday, and his status is week to week. Mawae broke a finger on his right hand, which he uses to snap, in the third quarter and also is day to day. The Pro Bowl player has started 156 straight games.

The Jets have a bye this week, so they have time to get their players healed before playing the Dolphins.

Redskins QB Brunell injured against Giants

Washington quarterback Mark Brunell left his team's game against the New York Giants in the third quarter with a left hamstring injury.

Brunell appeared to get hurt on a rollout on a pass to tight end Walter Rasby. On the next play, he handed off to Clinton Portis and fell to the ground. He walked off the field and was replaced by Patrick Ramsey, who was sacked on his first passing attempt.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Brunell's status was day to day.

Sources

CBS

NFL.com

[Edited on 9/20/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Plenty of injuries this weekend. Which one will have the largest impact on the season?

I think that i may well be heap's injury, who else do the Ravens have to throw the ball to?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Tight end Wiggins out 2-3 weeks

Minnesota Vikings right tackle Mike Rosenthal is likely out for the season with an injury to his right foot.

Rosenthal, who just signed a contract extension, was hurt in Monday night's game at Philadelphia, as was tight end Jermaine Wiggins, who will miss two to three weeks with a broken left hand.

Rosenthal's injury was initially diagnosed as a sprain. Head coach Mike Tice said Rosenthal would probably be placed on injured reserve.

ESPN

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah, week 2 was a tough week.

Ben

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
heap hurts the ravens, not many options they have now, and wiggins was a goto guy for DC, but i dunno now. lol to many injuires to keep up with

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Falcons RB questionable for Sunday's game

Atlanta running back Warrick Dunn didn't practice Wednesday and was questionable for the Falcons' game against Arizona on Sunday.

Dunn sprained his left knee in last weekend's 34-17 victory over St. Louis. The Falcons are 2-0 for the first time since 1998.

It was pretty stiff on Monday, but it feels pretty good today," he said. "I'm pleased that I was able to walk and jog around a little bit. We'll see how it goes tomorrow."

Dunn, who has rushed for 106 yards and four touchdowns, will probably do some limited work on Thursday, according to coach Jim Mora.

The Cardinals are winless, but quarterback Michael Vick said it would be a "major blow" if Dunn can't play.

"He makes the ground game go," Vick said. "He gives us that extra step. He's always capable of making a big play."

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ravens list Sanders as questionable for Week 3

Deion Sanders hopes to play for the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, even though he knows it might be prudent to rest his strained left hamstring.

Playing in his second game following a three-year retirement, Sanders hurt his leg last Sunday in the second quarter of Baltimore's 30-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was removed after running stride for stride with Plaxico Burress on a long pass play.

Sanders was held out of a portion of Wednesday's practice and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game in Cincinnati, meaning there's a 50 percent chance he will see action.

"I'm feeling pretty good," he said before practice. "I'm not a gambling man, but I'm going to try to do my best to be there for my teammates."

Within reason, anyway. Sanders, 37, isn't about to press himself into action for an early-season game if it could lessen his odds of being available in January.

top topics

join