It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Hockey: Stanley Cup 2006

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I agree with Shaun. People are really over-hyping Calgary this year. They will be a good team, but will not get even close to the cup finals this year. Why can't people see 2004 for what it was, a fluke. It was a really fun cinderalla story. But folks, Calgary is not an "upper-echelon" type TEAM just because Iginla is an upper-echelon superstar.

I too think Montreal is being unfairly overlooked. They are a really good team. Its all up to Theodore. If even just has an average year they will have home ice in the playoffs. Also, lookout for Florida, Luongo plus the additions of Joey N and Roberts will really improve that team.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Atlanta might surprise a few teams in the east this year. Hossa, Holik, Kovalchuk, Bondra? i mean, that's a very dangerous lineup.

and watch out for the Islanders too, they are going to be a very good team. Rick DiPietro is a very very good goalie, and Yashin and Satan are going to be nuts this year. Also watch out for a young kid named Oleg Kvasha, he's got the makings of an all-star.

I've got a bad feeling about Philadelphia, i'd say they're definitely top 5 in the east.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
Atlanta might surprise a few teams in the east this year. Hossa, Holik, Kovalchuk, Bondra? i mean, that's a very dangerous lineup.

No Kovalchuk, he has decided to play in Russia a.t.m.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon

Originally posted by kooshdoctor

No Kovalchuk, he has decided to play in Russia a.t.m.

Oops, looks like the Thrashers and Kovalchuk have started talking again.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ottawa looked impressive against Toronto. Kinda crappy it had to end in a shootout but at least we end up with a point still. Whenever a Leaf gets hit anywhere near the eyes I keep getting a flashback to Berard... hope Sundin comes back soon.

Havn't seen all the replays of all the other games yet and will post when I do.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Even though Lindros had a decent game, I think it is unnacceptable for a professional hockey player to miss the net during the shoot-out. Everybody makes mistakes, but if certain players continue to do that, I think coaches will have to alter their prime shoot-out line-ups; even if that means not using the "stars." You have to at least make the goalie stop it.

It's very early, but if they playoffs started tomorrow my predictions would have been right. Nothing special from Calgary, they have been over-hyped, they aren't that good. And watchout out for Montreal, they can get things done, Jose looked solid. But all of that is irrelevant, it's only been one game.
Great to have hockey back!

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
An excelent evening of hockey! Who knew Marc Chouinard would lead the leage in goals after one night? And I stand by my statement I made earlier: 2 words: Martin Brodeur.

Go Wild!

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

The missing team from the East:
The Devils. 2 words: Martin Brodeur. The loss of Stevens and Niedermayer is going to hurt, but they are still going to be solid.

Brodeur is no longer the Third defenceman he was in the past, he can only handle the puck behind the net now and that will take allot from his game, now instead of being a stellar goalie he's just a great one.

Ok, I could not help dragging this one back out. I remember when I mentioned Brodeur. And for those of you who have not paid attention, New Jersey has won 15 games in a row, which includes a sweep of the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.

In that stretch, Brodeur has a 1.73 GAA, a save percentage of 94.5%, and 1 shutout. In the playoffs, he has not given up more than 2 goals in a game, and has his 1 shutout.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I guess the Flyers stunk it up again this year in the playoffs. Just saw they got ripped by the Sabres 7-1 last night. Same old friggin story.

And it looks like the Hurricanes pulled off thier series. There are times it seems they shouldn't even have bothered coming back...

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Both the East and the West are set.

East:
(4) Buffalo Sabres vs. (1) Ottawa Senators
(3) New Jersey Devils vs. (2) Carolina Hurricanes

West:
(8) Edmonton Oilers vs. (5) San Jose Sharks
(7) Colorado Avalanche vs. (6) Anaheim Mighty Ducks

The first time in 32 years the top 4 seeds did not advance in the West.

I thought at the beginning the West was going to be the favorite to win the cup. Well all that has changed now.

Sabres and Sens are 2 of the higher scoring teams, those should be fun games to watch. I don't expect the Devils and Canes to be much different than the last 4 games of Canes first series against Montreal. Can Ward out-duel Brodeur?

The West? Gah, these are going to be ugly and boring games. With Edmonton and Anaheim displaying the new version of the Trap, don't expect the high scoring games like those in the East. But of all that are left, I think the Sharks have the advantage with CheeChoo and Thornton.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

The missing team from the East:
The Devils. 2 words: Martin Brodeur. The loss of Stevens and Niedermayer is going to hurt, but they are still going to be solid.

Brodeur is no longer the Third defenceman he was in the past, he can only handle the puck behind the net now and that will take allot from his game, now instead of being a stellar goalie he's just a great one.

Ok, I could not help dragging this one back out. I remember when I mentioned Brodeur. And for those of you who have not paid attention, New Jersey has won 15 games in a row, which includes a sweep of the New York Rangers in the first round of the playoffs.

In that stretch, Brodeur has a 1.73 GAA, a save percentage of 94.5%, and 1 shutout. In the playoffs, he has not given up more than 2 goals in a game, and has his 1 shutout.

How many goals did Brodeur give up last game again?
Hot streaks can happen to any goalie, I still don't see him keeping those numbers up. (A hot D really helped him out as well)

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

How many goals did Brodeur give up last game again?
Hot streaks can happen to any goalie, I still don't see him keeping those numbers up. (A hot D really helped him out as well)

Dang IT!! Yeah, Brodeur did have problems allowing 6. But he also did that shortly before his nice winning stretch. Carolina is shutting down Elias, thus shutting down the Devils offense. NJ will be lucky to win 2.

I am thinking Carolina and Buffalo in the East. We know Anaheim is in the West now, I still think San Jose has the edge over Edmonton. Ack, 2 California teams
, thats not right.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well Edmonton has advanced to the finals and they await either Buffalo or Carolina.

I hope to see the Sabres move on in that series.

I predit Edmonton in 6 for the finals.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Edm vs Buf is my prediciton too, though how that series will end up, I'm not going to say. It's too close to call really. I see that series going to 7 games.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Looks like we are going to have a crappy final series. With Roloson out, i don't think the Oilers will be able to pull it out.

For the Oilers to win, they will need at least 7 goals a game. The Canes are just too much of a hockey team in the 3rd period.

I was leaning for the Oilers in 7, but I am turning that to be Canes in 5. Cam Ward was making saves that he had no business making, and he was calm the entire time. Even when he was pissed at the ref.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

For the Oilers to win, they will need at least 7 goals a game. The Canes are just too much of a hockey team in the 3rd period.

Or they need a Rook to come up with an Aubin type of performance. If not, this will be a short serries.

Btw, WTF was Bergeron thinking.

Ben

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i haven't been keeping track of the finals, all of the games prior to the finals have been great. But a 2-0 lead by the canes might be too much. Has game 3 been played?

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Oooh those pesky Oilers. Playing with heart, and even out-playing the Canes for much of the hockey game. Edmonton sneaked off with a 2-1 victory. The goals that were scored by Edm were not easy to stop, 1 deflection, and 1 body shot of sorts. Markkanen played great in net for the Oilers. Cam Ward for Carolina was exceptionally as well.

Did the change of Venue reallly help? We shall see. Not sure the Oilers can keep up that pace for the entire series. The Canes have played hard the whole year, comming back in many games. Also Laviolette won't let them slack off. He will have them ready to go for game 4 on Monday.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
WOW, what an ending to that game tonight!!!! What a stunner.

BHN

Ben

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What a hard fought game on both ends. Nice ending to a great game. Solid play from both fronts. I would like to see the oilers take it when they go back home. I'm thinking that the home crowd is going to be a huge boost for the oilers in Edmonton.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join