It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: 2004 MLB trading deadline - we discuss the deals

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Dodgers trade OF Juan Encarnacion, C Paul Lo Duca, RHP Guillermo Mota to the Marlins for 1B Hee Seop Choi, RHP Brad Penny, LHP Bill Murphy.

The Marlins fill two big holes: catcher and setup reliever. They had been after Lo Duca for a long time, and Mota should help get to closer Armando Benitez. The Dodgers get a starter in Penny, who could be moved to Arizona as part of a package for Randy Johnson. The deal also allows L.A. to move Shawn Green back to right field and add a first baseman (Choi) with power.

Edge - Marlins

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Devil Rays trade RHP Victor Zambrano, RHP Bartolome Fortunato to the Mets for LHP Scott Kazmir, RHP Jose Diaz.

The Mets give up on top pitching prospect Kazmir to acquire Zambrano, who led the D-Rays in wins -- but also the majors in walks. New York undoubtedly hopes pitching guru Rick Peterson can harness the 28-year-old right-hander. Kazmir, a first-round pick in 2002, has struck out 259 batters in 203.1 minor-league innings.

Edge - Mets

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Mets trade 2B/3B Ty Wigginton, IF Jose Bautista, RHP Matt Peterson to the Pirates for RHP Kris Benson, IF Jeff Keppinger.

Benson was the most sought after pitcher on the market - following Randy Johnson, that is. The Mets hope Benson, who's eligible for free agency after this season, can give them a late push. The Mets acquired Bautista from K.C. for C Justin Huber.

Edge - Mets

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Giants trade RHP Felix Rodriguez to the Phillies for OF Ricky Ledee, RHP Alfredo Simon.

With Billy Wagner going on the DL, the Phillies knew they had to make a deal for bullpen help. They acquire a solid setup in Rodriguez. By receiving Ledee, the Giants add much-needed depth to their outfield. They are also intrigued by the minor-league pitcher in the trade.

Edge - Giants

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Reds trade RHP Todd Jones and minor league OF Brad Correll to the Phillies for RHP Josh Hancock and minor league SS Anderson Machado.

Jones adds another good arm to the bullpen with Wagner and Madson on the DL, Hancock was on the Phillies but should still be a minor-leaguer. The Phillies need to address the issue of starting pitching as well, Paul Abbott has GOT to go!

Edge - Phillies

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Dodgers trade OF Juan Encarnacion, C Paul Lo Duca, RHP Guillermo Mota to the Marlins for 1B Hee Seop Choi, RHP Brad Penny, LHP Bill Murphy.

This looks like a lopsided trade in favor of the Marlins but insiders are saying the Dodgers are just preparing for their attempt to land the Big Unit. I couldn't understand it, Mota has been flawless in setting up the game's best closer in Gagne and Paul Loduca not only was the team leader of the Dodgers but also was a very good hitter as well as a good catcher and can also play first base and the outfield.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Mariners trade Dave Hansen to the Padres for minor league pitcher Jon Huber.

Originally the Padres acquired 1B Brad Fullmer from the Rangers, but that deal fell through when it was announced that he would be on the DL longer than expected.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The Mets definitely upgraded their starting rotation adding Zambrano and Benson. With Glavine, Leiter, and Trachsel, the Mets have a very solid staff.

They gave up Ty Wiggington who was playing 3rd but they called up David Wright from AAA, he is their future 3rd baseman and they think he's ready for the leap.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
i expect to see the dodgers make another deal this morning, the way it stands they have done nothing to improve themselves and have weakended their catching and relief pitching, i look for more action out of LA

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I agree tj, if they don't do anything then yesterday's trade makes absolutely no sense.

There's only an hour and a half now until the 4pm EST deadline so I think we will see at least a few more signifigant moves.

I'm watching the wire like a hawk, I want to see Philly get that fifth starter.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Randy Johnson is staying put in Arizona.

Sources have told ESPN's Jayson Stark the Cubs haven't ruled out a deal for Nomar Garciaparra yet, but they also are still talking with Expos about shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

The Yankees continue to talk with John Olerud in hopes of adding a left-handed bat and solid defensive first baseman.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The Mets aren't wasting any time with Benson, he will be getting the start tonight against the division-leading Braves.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The Marlins traded outfielder Abraham Nunez to the Royals for relief pitcher Rudy Seanez.

17 minutes until the deadline, I'm predicting a "buzzer-beater" major trade.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sportsline.com reports that the Marlins have acquired Ismael Valdez from the Padres in exchange for a minor league pitcher. Valdez will be the No. 5 starter for the Marlins.

The Marlins have been very active in the past couple days.

Just 2 minutes to the deadline!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

The Marlins have been very active in the past couple days.

Just 2 minutes to the deadline!

I'll bet the Marlins really think that they can win the World Series again, if they can add to the lineup and win their division.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The Braves acquired reliever Tom Martin and cash from the Dodgers in exchange for a minor leaguer. Martin will work from the bullpen and has no fantasy value.

The deadline has just passed and they just said on FOX that it appears that the Dodgers have acquired Finley but it hasn't yet been announced because they are still working out the details.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
I'll bet the Marlins really think that they can win the World Series again, if they can add to the lineup and win their division.

I'd say the trade with the Dodgers really helped their chances.

They seriously upgraded their catcher position with Loduca, got one of the best set-up men in baseball in Mota, who will be setting up Armando Benitez now. They lost Choi at first base but they move Conine from left fields to first and they stick Encarnacion out tin left, who they also just got from the Dodgers.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The Dodgers acquired Steve Finley from the Diamondbacks just before the trade deadline. Finley is expected to stay in center field, with Milton Bradley moving to left field.

The players involved still hasn't been announced but it is known that Charles Johnson is not involved in a 3-way deal like originally thought. It looks like the Dodgers are stuck with David Ross behind the plate, batting a whopping .183

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i think that the dodgers front office has gone to the mariners "how to ruin a team with bad trades" seminar.....this would fit into a "what were they thinking" thread

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I hear ya toejam, and the even crazier thing is that they are in FIRST PLACE!

If it ain't broke, dont fix it!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join